What is the deal with Steep and Cheap?

10:32 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have known about Ebay for years now, and know about CraigsList, but who here has used SteepandCheap and are they really a good bargain hunting ground? Are they as random with their products as they appear to me? Are they really that much better of a deal than normal sellers?

Just heard about this site and am curious to get some input.

D

11:04 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

The deals on Steep & Cheap are authentic -- the gear is not junk, it's name-brand stuff built to be used in the outdoors.

But S&C is also an impulse-purchase engine. The old standby for coupon users is, would you have bought it at full price? If so, then getting it at half price is a genuine bargain.

Buying something only because it's marked down 50 percent is not really a bargain at all, because the 50 percent off price is all you would have paid to begin with.

1:55 a.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I have bought a lot of gear from Steep and Cheap. like Tom said you have to keep your impulse-purchases under control though. I check the site regularly and when there is something in-particular I'm looking for I step up the frquency. There price on tents, coats, and sleeping bags are hard to beat. This past summer I bought a Marmot down coat for the wife for $62.98. I also bought a Sierra Designs Lightning 2 Tent with Footprint for $120.00. A North Face Full-Zip Hoody for $19.00 and the list goes on.

Yes, there offerings are as random as they appear to be but there are a few things you can take advantage of. One thing is a high percentage of gear will appear several times over a periode of a few days.

A big help with this is http://sac.gearattack.com/

You can go to this site and check the history of gear offered and hopefully predict if it might come up again soon.

Another useful tool is http://www.sacalerts.com/steepandcheap_tracker.php

You can go to this site and get a short term history of what has been offered on S&C but the important thing here is that after registering you can flag gear that has been previously offered and they will send you a real time alert if/when the item is being offered on S&C.

I know I have not done a great job explaining these other sites but with a little exploration you will get the hang of it and S&C will become a real treasure hunt.

You will also find that there is a few other DoD sites associated with Steep and Cheap that work the same way but lean more towards other outdoor activities like biking and sking.

10:10 p.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I have also made a few purchase's from SC but only when iam looking for a specific item of gear.If you do see what you want then jump on it because it wont be on the site later.They do carry top name gear and i have been very happy over the years with both the gear and the price.

11:02 p.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

It's a hit or miss deal. They sell a limited amount of stuff for a limited time. You have to act right away or the item can be sold out as you wait. Prices are almost always at least 50% off and the shipping charges are reasonable. I have a desk job and usually leave the site on in the background so I can check it frequently. I've bought a couple of items. Lots of stuff shows up at great prices, but I just don't happen to need what's being sold so I buy infrequently.

12:53 a.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Kind of remids me of woot.com where they offer one deal a day on usually some tech related item and when it sells out, that's it....

2:10 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Thanks for all of the input. I have been on there paying attention and watching what goes on the site. They do have top-of-the-line gear products and brands but the seletion is very very random. But the prices check out...they are a great deal if they have what you want. As items came up I would check several online stores and try to compare the prices.

D

11:19 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

They also have daily emails which give clues to what they will be having on the site that day, this may be something you want to subscribe to. Also, You have to check it a lot, but you can get some good deals.

11:36 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

For the Mac users out there: A Dashboard widget updating with their latest deals is available here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/shopping/steepandcheapwidget.html

8:54 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Thanks Perry, the widget is great!

9:55 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

You're welcome, Franc. I don't use it anymore, primarily to avoid the temptation presented by something which seems "wicked cheap". (My self-control isn't always what I'd like it to be when it comes to spending.) But it worked well when I did have it onboard, and I hope it's continuing to do so.

12:26 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Interesting site. Looks like an impulse generator for backcountry.com. Looking at the history site http://www.sacalerts.com/history.php you can click on an item and, if it was not sold out, buy it from another website. Thus far every item I have clicked on takes me to backcountry.com which is why I believe S&C and Backcountry.com are related. If you miss a deal on S&C you might be able to find it on backcountry.com or thru the history website and buy it there. Still discounted though not as much.

Mike

12:30 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Looks like there are actually 6 sites that all do the same thing for backcountry.com. http://www.sacalerts.com/steepandcheap_tracker.php

And an iPhone app for those who just can't get enough...

Mike

6:53 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Never knew about this thanks for sharing.

12:21 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

SAC is pure evil. I spend a shocking amount of money with them when I had the popup at work. Did get a nice deal on a primus remote canister stove for $29 the other day.

10:56 p.m. on March 4, 2010 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Interesting site. Looks like an impulse generator for backcountry.com. Looking at the history site http://www.sacalerts.com/history.php you can click on an item and, if it was not sold out, buy it from another website. Thus far every item I have clicked on takes me to backcountry.com which is why I believe S&C and Backcountry.com are related. If you miss a deal on S&C you might be able to find it on backcountry.com or thru the history website and buy it there. Still discounted though not as much.
Mike

Mike,

the boys and girls at steep and cheap are afilliated with backcountry.com, and have several other business partners within the active outdoors industry. I have made several buys from th s&c site, to the point that I have had to discontinue my use for periods because of my impulsive buying disorder, lol. Great site if you have a little self control!

6:00 a.m. on May 21, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Just found your question. I've been following SAC for over a year now. From what I can determine, SAC is basically the backcountry.com outlet's outlet.

That's why every item they offer is more than 50% the MSRP. I don't mind, because occasionally there is some wicked gear up there. You've got to pay attention to it regularly to wade through the endless sunglasses, sandals, and hats no one bought for a good reason. I always keep one tab on my browser on SAC at all times. That's better than the widgets because the refresh time on those is about 3 minutes past when it shows up on the website, and that's how you miss the Dollar Deals.

4:35 p.m. on May 21, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Steep and Cheap really wants you to buy sunglasses, lots of them. They do have some really good deals at times, but you have to be online when they are available to get them. I have only made one purchase from them, but have been tempted to make many (just because of price, not because I needed or wanted it).

12:13 a.m. on May 23, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I buy a lot from SAC.

I bought a nice medkit for 17 dollars, I bought a cookset with a 3L pot and a lid and a pan and gripper for 19 dollars, I've gotten a 90 dollar arc'teryx pullover for 45 dollars. currently there is a womens stoic eVent shell that's usually 350, now it's only 175. still a lot, and I'm a man, but that's an outstanding deal if you were looking for a nice shell anyway.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply