MSR Whisperlite Question

11:50 a.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Good day all,

Last summer I found (what I believe is) an MSR whisperlite stove complete with carrying bag, heat reflector, and maintenance kit at a yard sale for 2.00. It works great. I also bought an empty fuel bottle for an additional 1.00. Not a bad deal.

The only difference between this stove and the Whisperlites I've found online is the fuel valve. Mine has a screw on valve for the butane combo fuel used by many backpacking stoves while the others use the pump along with the bottle (white gas, etc.). Is mine just missing a pump, or do I just have a different model?

Thanks!

12:56 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,285 forum posts

You do not have a Whisperlite. MSR has made a series of stoves that look a lot like the Whisperlite, but are made for compressed gas. You might have the WindPro. The stove itself looks a bit like like a Whisperlite, with the big differences being the burner design (the Whisperlite has a "plate" burner, while the WindPro has a "screen") and the legs (Whisperlite has "wire" legs, while the WindPro has solid legs). However there was an earlier stove that the burner was essentially the same as a Whisperlite, but burned compressed gas. I forget the name of that one right now.

Post a photo of your stove and someone will remember the name.

4:59 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

However there was an earlier stove that the burner was essentially the same as a Whisperlite, but burned compressed gas. I forget the name of that one right now.

That's probably what this is. I suppose the fuel canister must have been for another stove... Regardless, it's still worth 3.00. :) If anyone knows the model, that would be great. Thanks for your help.

5:20 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

That's the MSR Rapidfire,discontinued in '01 or '02 I believe. I still take mine as a backup to my PocketRocket. Really bulletproof and simmers well,great flame adjustment.

5:34 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,285 forum posts

Yep, and here is a website showing it. And here is a bit of a discussion about it. MSR discontinued making it in 2001, but still offers service.

5:52 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Awesome. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

1:38 p.m. on March 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

After having the stove working perfectly, I ran into some trouble with it in the middle of nowhere on a recent trip. Luckily, my partner had a stove as well. Looks like I may be using the wrong o-rings. Anyone by chance happen to have the correct o-ring sizes for this stove?

1:45 p.m. on March 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Would you like a complete rebuild kit?

3:19 p.m. on March 15, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Automotive parts store carry many o-rings for any size.Much cheaper than buying from manufacturer.

1:21 a.m. on March 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Maineiac, let me rephrase that: I have some of the original, no longer available, rebuild kits for the MSR Rapidfire. These kits contain the jet, spring, wrench, brass washer, jet pricker, and instructions, as well as both O rings. I would be willing to sell you a kit.

9:54 a.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Skimanjohn, I have been wondering about getting o-rings from other sources, such as auto parts stores. Have you done this much, and with white gas? I have an Optimus Nova that have been quite happy with, but I would like to carry more than one extra o-ring, but I haven't felt inclined to order more at $10 a pop.

10:26 a.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

This is from my experience base... I'm not a scientist.

Hardware stores also have o-rings. But, you do have to be aware of if they are coming into contact with petroleum derivatives. Nitrile o-rings will literally dissolve in the presence of such things. White gas isn't as mean as some derivatives, but will still cause drying/cracking/and gumming in certain o-rings. You can help prevent and extend the life of common nitrile o-rings by coating them with silicone paste/grease. Other orings (neoprene, etc) don't suffer such issue.

3:43 p.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Cleric, are you sure about that? The fuel cap gasket, non-return valve(NRV) pip, and safety release valve(SRV) on Optimus 111's are all made of Nitrile. Check out spiritburner.com As a rule, Viton is more resistant to petroleum products, but comes at a higher price. As far as O rings from a hardware store, auto parts store, or hydraulic equipment supply store working, if you match the parameters and material of the originals, they'll work perfectly and at a much cheaper price.

3:54 p.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Apparently Maineiac has seagulled(flown away), but if he returns, I have a suggestion for what might be a simple fix: if the failure wasn't due to an O ring, try cleaning(pricking) the orifice of the jet, or removing and cleaning it. Maybe an obstruction is causing the problem.

9:07 p.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Sorry guys, I was preoccupied the last couple of days. Apologies.

I had initially found a site that listed three different sizes of o-rings that would possibly fit. I went to the hardware store and bought a few of each. If I remember correctly, one was a #6, another a #11, but don't recall the third.

The issue I'm having is a leak when screwing on the canister. Almost seems like it's hit or miss...

I'm thinking it's either an o-ring or the gas, but from what I've read those canisters *should* work.

12:28 a.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Cleric, are you sure about that? The fuel cap gasket, non-return valve(NRV) pip, and safety release valve(SRV) on Optimus 111's are all made of Nitrile.

Hmm... I may have my wires crossed. However, I've always been told to be cautious on using petroleum lubricants on Nitrile rings and read material to that effect, although, it was some time ago. If I remember, I'll grab a spare from my truck and drop in in an airtight container of white gas. Since that is such a light-weight petroleum (the lightest?), it may not break them down as quickly or as severely as other derivatives.

In either case, ALWAYS inspect your orings. That's just smart.

Again... my experience and not grounded in scientific fact.

12:37 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Thanks for the Info Abman and Cleric!

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply