tent recommendation

10:00 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

hey, I'm looking for a tent that is tight for two people kind of a one and a half person freestanding tent for me and my dog. any ideas???

thanks

scott

10:09 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Most North Face tents that I've seen designed for two people are just what you asked for.Perfect for one plus equipment or man's best friend.Mountain Hardwear tents for two are on the snug side also because they taper in width at the feet to save weight.

12:23 a.m. on March 28, 2010 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,142 forum posts

My buddy's MSR Hubba would work for you and your dog. He has it listed in the Forum Classifieds.
Here's a picture of the tent and a drawing of its floor size. Your dog could sleep in the vestibule. The tent weighs just under 3 lbs and is a four season tent, check it out. His email and phone number are there too.

10:19 a.m. on March 28, 2010 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Eureka Mountain Pass 2xte. I have the 2 and the 3. I have done reviews for both tents on the site and have pics up. It is really a good model. The price isn't bad either if ya look around, and it has a lifetime warranty.

Gary- the hubba is a great tent but is a 3 season. The Hubba Hubba HP is the only 3 season model in the line-up that can be closed up for light 4 season use and for $450 there are alot of other 4 season models in that price range.

2:41 a.m. on April 2, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

GaryPalmer brings up a good point -- are you sure you want your dog to sleep in the same space with you? I've never known a dog to sleep in one position for very long, and they can be awfully careless about where they stick their legs when they stretch.

I'd look for a good 1-1/2 person tent with a very large vestibule. My guess is that both you and your dog will be happier.

6:41 p.m. on April 2, 2010 (EDT)
802 reviewer rep
461 forum posts

The single wall TarpTent Contrail one person tent is 24 oz. and is PLENTY big for you and your dog. I know, I used to own one. Now I have the great TarpTent Moment solo tent. It has a vestibule big enough for your dog. Just make the dog carry its own groundcloth. :)

2:33 p.m. on April 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
224 forum posts

I feel compelled to ask for more information so that I'm better able to make an intelligent recommendation. For example: What season(s) of usage, climate(hot, cold, humid, arid) used in, weight desired(car camp, backpack)? There isn't one tent that's universally perfect for all situations.

9:16 p.m. on April 3, 2010 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
748 forum posts

three words,

Sierra Designs Flashlight.

I sleep with my dog in my Flashmagic which is an old single walled version of the above mentioned tent but no longer available.

Jim S

September 26, 2017
Quick Reply