Glow-in-the-Dark Nalgene

2:43 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Just found the new GITD Nalgene at my usual sporting goods store yesterday and... being a consummate gear junkie... I picked one up. They are BPA free, but your water still glows in the dark. :) They are rigid like the lexan variety, although their color is opaque like the polypropylene kind. They come in a green and grey color.

After charging my green one under a lamp for a couple of hours, it emitted a pleasant glow (like a mild glow-stick) for over an hour. It may have lasted longer, but I fell asleep.

A fun change of pace for my water bottle and they don't cost any more than a standard lexan one. I want to pair one up with one of Guyot Design's Firefly lids just for fun.

2:49 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

What is the point of the glow?

Nalgenes are so heavy. Why not switch to Platypus containers?

4:32 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,293 forum posts

i use a camelbak except for winter, but bottles do have their use. i often have spare water in a bottle, just in case. my kids would probably love one of these for an upcoming camping trip....thanks for the info.

6:13 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

The Nalgene is for hydrating around home/office/shop. I have a Camelbak bladder that travels with me on the trails.

And, the glow is for whatever you would like! Leadbelly, if your kids are like mine, they'll love it! My son adores the glowing water bottle!

9:10 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

I have had the Platypus containers crack, particularly in cold weather, and usually at the fold line. The weight saving is not worth it if the container won't hold fluids, and worse, if it leaks a hydration mix all over your pack.

11:06 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

I am back to using Nalgene mostly, since the BPA epidemic was narrowly averted.

I'm not a big fan of metal bottles especially in winter, I do have a couple of them, but for the price you can get two or three Nalgene's.

I don't have a Guyout Firefly, but placing your LED headlamp on top of your water bottle works too, and helps distribute the light in my tent better than just a headlamp alone hanging from my loft.

Glow in the dark huh? I'll have to check that out.

11:52 p.m. on April 11, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I have had the Platypus containers crack, particularly in cold weather, and usually at the fold line. The weight saving is not worth it if the container won't hold fluids, and worse, if it leaks a hydration mix all over your pack.

The Nalgene soft bottles are rated to -29C so that would be an UL option for you.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=71

1:08 a.m. on April 12, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Re: Nalgenes being heavy. Aren't the glow-in-the-dark variety even heavier once they've stored up all those photons? Of course, I guess most of us aren't carrying 'em very far at night.

But I guess I can see the argument for flexible "bottles". Saves about 3-4 ounces per one-liter bottle used, I'd guess. But they're (the flexible jobs) hard to set down with the lid off, etc.

7:26 a.m. on April 12, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

In my post above I meant to say I use the HDPE version.

Excellent observation Perry, I'm thinking I could mount one to the top of my hiking pole as a beacon of sorts like Gandolf the Gray in Lord of the Rings, the pole would carry the weight of those photons you so wisely point out.

Also in case of encounters in the dark, you could firmly plant the staff, and exclaim: "You shall not pass!"

Anyway, I hadn't seen the flexible version yet, thanks for the link there CWF.

11:06 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Nice find Cleric, I hope to get one soon.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply