Need a 3 person backpack tent

5:14 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello, Im going crazy looking for a tent. I cant seem to find what im looking for, at the price I can afford.

I want a light tent i can take backpacking, and also car camping. It is going to be me and my girlfriend, so i am looking for a tent that can also hold our gear. So basically a 3 person backpacking tent would be good.

I really am on a budget though please under 200$

5:15 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts
9:11 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Perhaps you could try a 2 person tent that has a large vestibule. My wife and I use a Eureka Zeus that is a 2 person tent but it has a huge vestibule for gear storage. I bought it for $130 and it is only 4lbs. It is freestanding and I can set it up in about 2 minutes flat. But keep in mind, how and where you hike should factor into your decisions. As well as your height and sleeping space requirements (do you move around a lot?). Whatever you choose make sure you set it up in the store and both climb in and see how it feels. Take your gear with you if you can to make sure it fits where you want it.

Good luck...

This is my Zeus...

8:41 a.m. on April 16, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

i've got and alps mountaineering Zenith 3 and its perfect for me my girlfriend and our dog. put your gear in the vestibules. i got mine for $125. check steepandcheap.com and ebay.com, you'll find something

10:10 a.m. on April 17, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Like jimn I have an Alps Mountaineering Zenith, but a Zenith 2 (same as the Zephyr but the fly is a different color...see my review) that I bought on sale at Sierra Trading Post for less than $80(also about that price on SteapandCheap.com as jimn395 stated) It weighs less than 5 lbs, and has 2 doors with a 9 sq ft vestibule for each, a great mesh design for stargazing, comes with a gear loft and pocket, and is super easy to put up. I've had this out in temps to the low 100's to the teens without dissappointment (but bring a winterbag...it's all mesh except for the bathtub floor). It's proven to give plenty of space for my wife and I with the gear stored in each vestibule. Lifetime warranty as well. Here it is with its rust-colored fly

11:47 p.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts
July 24, 2014
Quick Reply