Do I need a stiffer boot?

10:24 a.m. on April 16, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

For winter travel (snow shoes and crampons), I use TNF Slot GTX Winter Boot. I have used them in the Northeast for mountains like Mt. Marcy and Washington and foot fatigue has not been a problem. However, the amount of cramponing and the steepness of the slopes has been fairly limited. Should I go to a stiffer boot for steeper mountains out West (i.e. Rainier, Hood)?

Can be found here:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/The-North-Face-Slot-GTX-Winter-Boot-Mens/TNF3311M.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=TNF3311&mv_pc=r126

9:20 a.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

If you get into technical ice-climbing, you might want a stiffer boot and crampons suited to ice walls rather than trekking. otherwise, i think it's personal preference. i like my mountaineering boots, a pair of scarpa invernos, for winter trips where i use crampons and snowshoes. they're pretty stiff and took some getting used to, but they are very warm and work well in the winter. two of my hiking partners use boots similar to yours and have never had a problem except a few heel blisters, even with crampons on all day, every day.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply