BPA Free Nalgene Water Bottles

12:43 p.m. on April 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

figured this is the "right" forum for this quesiton, and I checked back about a year and a half for an answer...

Is it ok to put hot (not boiling water) in these guys? I am trying to cut weight for a backpacking trip and need to know if i can make tea and coffee in the nalgene water bottles!

thanks!

1:17 p.m. on April 16, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,340 forum posts

I put boiling water in the old BPA-laden bottles for years, and i haven't grown any tentacles yet. I continue to do this with the new ones. it didn't damage the bottles at all.

1:12 p.m. on April 17, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I've done it many times with my Nalgene "Everyday" bottles--the BPA-free Tritan bottles they now feature. One way to increase the leaching of BPA from the polycarbonate in the old bottles was to use hotter water; so a switch to the Tritan is a good way of reducing the BPA threat, assuming my experience with putting hot water into them (for coffee, more often, though tea a couple times) is generalizable. Note I didn't attempt to address the actual size of the threat from BPA release from the bottles--or anything else.

6:33 p.m. on April 17, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

You can put hot substances in nalgene bottles no problem. Some of my old ones are retired to hot water bottles for winter camping and they function quite well for this. I personally don't drink hot substances from the old bottles but you will have to do what you think is best for you.

10:48 p.m. on May 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

BPA is harmful to infants and young children...thats about it. I'm not confident that all these other plastics we drink out of don't have something being leached out that we will find out about 20 years from now.

Besides does anyone realize that their 'tooth colored' composite filling you get at the dentist has quite a bit of BPA and similar products in the resin?

11:19 p.m. on May 1, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I myself have used my good ole' Camelback BPA-free bottles to make tea with and have had no problem so far...but for coffee, I still like my old stone-enamel steel coffee mug.....I guess because they have been around forever and they are kind of nostalgic for me!

D

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply