Garmin Etrex

2:17 a.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Does anyone know if the Garmin Etrex tells your elevation climb? While i know they arnt the best gps its free from my neighbor who bought it and hates it. so i figured id give it a try.

12:32 p.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Are you looking for your current elevation or are you hoping that it gives you a trail profile? Most GPSr devices should be able to give you a GPS-derived elevation, but I do not believe the eTrex series can give you a trail profile. At the very least, it would require that you purchase Garmin's topographical maps.

9:59 p.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

i dont know what to call it, i wanted to know if i set a point at the beginning of the trail. and once im at the top of the mountain i want it to tell me how far ive climbed.

9:25 p.m. on April 23, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

The Etrex is similar to the Rhino if I remember correctly. And my Rhino does give a trail profile, altimiter and almost every other feature you could want in a gps/2 way radio.

9:47 p.m. on April 23, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

i dont know what to call it, i wanted to know if i set a point at the beginning of the trail. and once im at the top of the mountain i want it to tell me how far ive climbed.

The Etrex model I have has both tracking (trackback) & waypoint abilities, but are you talking about knowing your total achieved distance? or altitude? from point to point?

For each way point you mark, the altitude for that way point is stored on the way point page along with the coordinates for that way point.

The Etrex will show you a simple track of your route taken along with mileage. The screen looks like this:

The screen for marking a way point looks like this:

10:01 p.m. on April 23, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

You have to have/buy an eTrex that has the ABC's (altimeter, barometer, compass). They will plot an elevation graph for you. Now, I own one such model (Summit) and have found the altimeter and barometer (which function off the same hardware/software internally) to be cranky. In my experience, they need constant calibration.

Once you have calibrated it and gotten an accurate elevation plot, you can combine that with your plotted distance (tracks are the best way to do this, that I have found) and come up with a decent distance/climb number.

So, which model do you have?

11:54 p.m. on April 23, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

to be honest i dont know its yellow and says high sensetivity on the front of it, other than that i dont know like i said before it was free from my neighbor so, i dont knoe many specifics on it.

9:16 a.m. on April 24, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

That'd be the base eTrex unit with the high sensitivity receiver. Not-a-much fancy about it, but perfectly functional and will get you home if you get a little lost. You won't be doing any altitude plotting with it (unless you mark your trail frequently and plot it yourself when you get home).

trouthunter's above post is spot-on for what you will be able to do.

Garmin's product page:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705

And, your owner's manual:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexH_OwnersManual.pdf

12:08 p.m. on April 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I used my etrex vista cx for months before I realize it had an elevation profile feature ... usually it's just a matter of clicking through the default screens till it shows up.

Of course the total elevation always seems wildly inflated so I don't trust it all that much.

6:04 p.m. on April 25, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Get yourself a topo map of the area and learn how to use it along with the GPS. You can then take your altitude readings off the map by marking the map with your GPS coordinates. You should always carry a map and compass as backup anyway. They never require batteries. My Garmin has an altimeter but it's a GPS76Cx, different model.

You should be able to get the owner's manual for your unit from Garmin's website.

6:13 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

i know how to read topo maps and use a compass, I was just wondering if that specific modlel had the elevation feature.

8:25 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

I have the Etrex venture which would be a slight upgrade to the basic Etrex.

It does calibrate distance,speed and elevation but its a feature i use sparingly due to its questionable battery life.

Mapsource is a necessary tool with those units IMO.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply