Zion Narrows (May 22-23, 2010) -- will I need a wetsuit, drysuit, or will normal clothes suffice?

11:37 a.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I am looking for feedback on whether or not to borrow/rent a wetsuit or drysuit to hike the Zion Narrows over the weekend of May 22-23. If you have gone at a similar time of year, please post input! Ideally, it will be warm enough that normal non-cotton clothes will be sufficient.

Most sites say that off-season (through April) is when you really need a suit, but I know that the bottom of the canyon can remain very cool past that.

Thanks for any tips.

2:32 a.m. on May 14, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I have seen it snow on Memorial weekend, as well as scorch near 100 degrees. But mostly it was perfect spring weather. It almost always rained one day out of seven; however, on the dozen or so holiday May trips I took to Zion, so you may not even get a chance to enter the Narrows. If it does rain, put on your poncho, and grab your camera. The colors get real intense and you may catch some interesting water action on the bluffs.
Ed

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply