New Backpack Rx

11:52 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Hello all,

I'm returning to Backpacking after many years and am looking for a pack. I'll mostly be doing trips of less than 5 days in moderate/fair weather in the mountains. I'll be packing a 2 pound tent, 2 pound sleeping bag, bivy sack, and the normal stuff. I'm leaning towards something in the 4-5000 cc range and feel confident of carrying 40-45 Lbs. I've been looking at the Gregory Baltoro 70, Z65 and the Makalu. However, I'm wide open for Rx. Anyone have any opinions on these packs?

7:57 a.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

I have a new unused Jansport Redline 48 pack which is good for a 5 days trip. I am asking just $30 for it.

9:47 a.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

if you are looking at the baltoro, you should try on the osprey aether and the arc'teryx altra, it really depends on the hiking you would like to do (where, when etc), how often you would use it and how light you pack. The jansport gary offered could be perfect for your needs.

Tried on and worn all three of the arcteryx, osprey, and gregory packs, some pros and cons on each. depending on your body type certain ones are better than others.

Im relativly skinny and the baltoro wasnt as comfortable on me but the arcteryx felt better with heavy loads in comparrison to the the osprey. However my dad is a bit bigger than I am hasnt had a problem with any of the 3.

if you want to know specifics on any of the 3 I have all three in my house, dad, brother have all 3 covered as our packs :)

9:55 a.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Migolito Welcome to Trailspace

First off you need to get a pack that fits right so on that note you need to be fit for a pack you chose. I don't know where you live but I would go to a couple of places that have experienced pack fitters like REI, EMS etc then you can chose from what fits you best.

10:06 a.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Migolito Welcome to Trailspace

First off you need to get a pack that fits right so on that note you need to be fit for a pack you chose. I don't know where you live but I would go to a couple of places that have experienced pack fitters like REI, EMS etc then you can chose from what fits you best.

Agree with mike on this one for sure. If you plan to carry the 40-45 pounds you say you will want something that will be comfortable for the haul. The packs I listed are all very good packs but you may find that none of these fit you like you want and that something else does. I would just use these are recomendations of places to start or things to begin trying on.

10:51 a.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Buying a new pack is not about what everybody else likes or uses but what fits and rides well with you.There are plenty of reviews on the internet to find out about the quality of gear but trying on many types and brands is were the rubber meets the road.Go to many shops and load them up,not with the sand bags they may provide, but with your actual gear to truely feel how it will feel and ride.Good luck and have fun with it.

8:24 p.m. on June 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

I'd sure like to try the Jansport. Can you pm me?

Mike

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply