About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Exped Tents

6:05 p.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am looking at purchasing 2 new tents(just to expand my gear choices.) I am looking at the Hille Akto, Allak, and Staika. I took a look at Exped and I was wondering if anyone out there has any insight on the brand/tents as far function, livability, stability and lifespan. The models I am lookin at are the Venus II & III and the Vela I. They may be used for above treeline use at times and they will be used year round. Thanks alot.

1:43 a.m. on June 27, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

I don't know anything about the tents you are talkin about, but I do know if any tent is taken care of, they can last a lifetime. I had a TNF VE24 tent for 23 years till a bear in the Gros Ventre Range of western Wyoming tore it down looking for whatever, likely food. And I slept in that tent about 275 nights a year from 1979 to 2002, September to May. I used it in Yosemite from New Years to May 1980 in the high Sierra in deep snow, had it collapse under a freak four foot snow fall, anf North Face replaced the fly and poles even tho their warrenty was only good to 2 feet. I am buying a NF mtn 25 tent which is the upgrade of the VE24 and is a serious mountain tent srurdy enough to last me the rest of my life.

My other tent is a Golite Shangri-la 3 which I have used 11 years now. And its still as good as new. I have used it everywhere from the Grand Canyon, the Tetons, bike/camped in it across Alaska and used it in Utah.

Be sure to seam seal the stitching to ensure the water repellancy and keep a tent clean at all times, never pack it wet or it could mildew. Don't let a tent sit in direct sunlight for long periods of time as the sun will damage the fabric. Store it un-packed if not in use for long periods to keep the materials soft and plyable.

3:01 a.m. on June 27, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I don't know anything about the tents you are talkin about, but I do know if any tent is taken care of, they can last a lifetime. ..................

This is true, you take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply