fuel bottle for liquid fuel

10:25 p.m. on July 6, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Does anyone know why fuel bottles come only in metal ... when one can buy Coleman fuel in (albeit bulky) plastic containers?

Why not a fuel bottle similar to the MSR style bottle, but in plastic?

11:48 p.m. on July 6, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

I would venture to say that extruded aluminum is lighter & more puncture resistant than plastic. The MSR bottles I have can be used to store fuel and also connect to a stove, I wouldn't want a plastic fuel bottle attached to my stove.

12:03 a.m. on July 7, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Oh, good point about connecting to the stove. I wouldn't want to do that either. I guess I was thinking in terms of a very small metal bottle for the stove, and carry the main fuel supply in a smaller version of the plastic bottles Coleman fuel comes in. I suppose at that point it's not worth the savings of a few ounces ...

1:12 p.m. on July 7, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

bheiser

To and answer to your question, there is fuel bottles made from plastic they are made by Trangia I like mine it works good and doesn't or at least hasn't cracked or leaked. They come is 3 sizes 1L, .5L & .3L also I like the safety cap as well it works good when you gave gloves or mittens on with no spills and it is easy to pour.

1:23 p.m. on July 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Main reason is that metal fuel bottles can be pump-pressurized, while plastic bottles cannot.

6:33 a.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

bheiser

To and answer to your question, there is fuel bottles made from plastic they are made by Trangia

Do note: Trangia intended for these bottles to store only alcohol, and are not designed to be pressurized.

Other reason for not using plastic to store fuel:
Plastic is easier to perferate.
Many plastics are not shock resistant, and will crack under stress.
Many plastics get brittle when cold.
Most plastic is flammable.

Ed

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply