Has anyone heard of this pack?

12:42 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I was on trails.com looking at downloading some topos for this weekend and thought I would browse the packs I never feel like I have enough, and after the discussion on vivid colors in the back country on trailspace.com over the 4th I was thinking I might need to subdue some of my pack colors (LOL) anyway I came across this pack “686 Aircontact 55+10” I have never heard of this maker but I found the pack very interesting, well priced and some very cool features as well, so I was curious if anyone else has heard of them or this pack here is the link if you would like to see the pack. feed back on what you think will and would be appreciated as i am thinking this will make a good investment, I recently purchased my old true and blue from when I was in the corps the "CFP-90 Infantry Field Pack" I still need to do a gear review on this one. Any way please have a look let me know what ya all think http://www.trails.com/gear/p/686/aircontact-5510/

Thanks

R_Ranger

3:28 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Deuter is a German Backpack manufacturing company that began distributing in the US in 2001. I personally have never owned this brand, but have tested them and know friends that do who say the comfort level is amazing. The particular pack youre looking at is probably close to one of their number-one sellers. It has all the bells and whistles along with their "aircontact" breathability system, hence the name. Only one minor downside in MY opinion would be the relatively heavy weight, right around there at almost 6 lbs. Of course, thats a personal preference.

I would suggest taking a look at the "ACT Lite" series. Especially if youre ultralight minded. They are quite literally the same pack design that have been slimmed down a bit on weight (and price for that matter), a good bit. Which may take away some features. But again, its a personal pref thing.

I am actually on the market myself for a new pack (if i'm ever off it..) and have been debating between the ACT Lite 50+10, REI's Flash, and a couple Osprey makes. decisions decisions...

good luck!

4:11 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

renegade,

If you are still looking, you might want to take a look at a Gregory Z series too. I have one and they are very, very comfortable. I have a review written on it if you would like to read it. If you go to the REI Outlet, they have them on sale for a pretty good price too!

DJ

1:13 a.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

appreciate the advice DJ, ill definitely have to add it to the list. One of my buddies has the Z55 and loves it, but ive never given it a test run myself.

jeez.. this is going to be one tough decision

12:16 p.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I work in a shop that sells a lot of Deuter and they are great. I have never used one myself but have only gotten good feedback about them. The ACT-lite series is probably one of the best packs you can get for the money. The only concern I have with them is about getting them to fit some individuals. They do not have removable hipbelts so If you are an individual with a large torso and small waist or the other way around they might not be the most customizable fit. The other issue is that they seem to fit people with more narrow shoulders, broad shouldered individuals tend to have the shoulder straps putting uneven pressure around the neck and shoulder area.

If they fit though Deuter makes great stuff, they have been at it for almost 100 years in Germany so they know there stuff for sure

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply