Cross Dressing...Mittens

3:47 p.m. on July 18, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I am a big fan of buying gear during the off-season There are usually some great deals if you are patient (its also easier to be patient during the off-season).

I often see sales/deals on women's gear, while the male counterpart remains at full price. I do not have particularly large hands, or real long fingers for that matter, is there any good reason not to buy women's mittens?

10:39 a.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
4,371 forum posts

When I was much younger than I am today, I was a skinny kid and often bought womens polypropelene long johns cause they fit better than the slimmest mens versions.

5:30 p.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

Women's black mittens. Who would be able to tell? Besides, before the explosion in outdoor clothing stores, women have been wearing men's outdoors clothes for ages.

I used to think that I could at least go to the woods and not be subjected to a fashion show. No longer. Places like Eddie Bauer actually thrive on making you look like a backcountry enthusiast. I once, just for fun, asked the clerk at an Eddie Bauer if I could buy the canoe off the wall. She looked at me like I was wearing black socks with shite shorts and told me they weren't that kind of store. I think I heard her say, "omigod" as I walked out.

If it works and you can tolerate wearing it, go ahead. Beware, fashionistas are everywhere, even in the woods. There is even a discussion on my beloved TRAILSPACE revolving about what colors to wear in the woods!

7:02 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Are the mittens made from some type of all real girly fabric? Do they have lace on the cuffs or something?

7:56 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

I do not have particularly large hands, or real long fingers for that matter, is there any good reason not to buy women's mittens?

Gloves and especially mittens probably won't have too many fit issues between genders, so I'd give it a try, keeping in mind that the fit may be a bit more slender and you'll probably have to go up a size (a women's medium may be close to a men's small). So, if your hands aren't overly large, you may be just fine.

As a woman, I prefer women's gloves, most really do fit a little bit better than men's/unisex models, but I'd give them a try if I were you. I've worn plenty of unisex gloves and mitts, so maybe some men should start wearing the women's versions.

As you've no doubt noticed, men and women do have different shapes. I wouldn't wear footwear based on a men's last (though that's individual and some women do fit men's sizing better) and I avoid men's/unisex apparel. Yes, it might work, but it never works very well. But gloves and especially mitts don't have quite the same range of fit issues.

Try the gloves/mitts. Go up a size. No one else will know the difference if they're black. If you notice a difference, let us know.

10:35 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Check out these highly breathable liners. They don't have a huge variety in color, but white and black are always chic right?

10:51 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Check out these highly breathable liners. They don't have a huge variety in color, but white and black are always chic right?

LOL! I think as long as the cuff does not hang out the back side of the mitt you should be cool.............. If that's your deal...........

11:24 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

Those are awesome! Super breathable looking.

Get the black ones and no one will know the difference, right?

5:55 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Hmmm........ My useful replies get deleted on this thread........

Alicia?

6:44 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Not very nice to just dump posts....... Pretty innocuous

6:59 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

Hi Noddlehead, please check your e-mail and spam folder from earlier today.

Also, if anyone has a question about the moderators and their actions, please address it in an e-mail, so we can keep forum threads on-topic in the future — see item 10 here: http://www.trailspace.com/about/community-rules.html

Thanks.

7:41 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

Back to the original topic, my spouse has a pair of mountain biking gloves that are a women's model. They were on sale at the bike shop. Apparently they work fine, because he's had them a few years without replacing them.

7:53 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

I say if they fit, go for it!

(Background music: "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...")

8:02 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts
8:13 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Searching for email........

10:55 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I was not familiar with the lumber jack song, this post has been very...hmmm informative isn't the word. I can only imagine the direction it might have gone.

Noddlehead, if I end up with frostbite, I will always wonder if your post could have saved my fingers.

I'll let you guys know if I make any purchases.

12:57 a.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I was not familiar with the lumber jack song, this post has been very...hmmm informative isn't the word. I can only imagine the direction it might have gone.

Noddlehead, if I end up with frostbite, I will always wonder if your post could have saved my fingers.

I'll let you guys know if I make any purchases.

My posts were not about saving your finger appendages......

December 28, 2014
Quick Reply