Canon G11 review: Is it hike-worthy?

7:43 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hello,

I just posted a review of the Canon G11 to my workshop website. The purpose of the review was to see if it is a worthy camera to eat up the extra pounds in a hiker's pack. Check it out here: www.newwindworkshops.com

Any feedback or comments are appreciated!

Cheers,

Tim

8:32 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I shoot Canon, seems like for the price you could get a decent DSLR? Too bulky? I had a Canon Powershot once it wasn't the G11 but it shot also movies, can't recall the model. I shoot a Canon XTi with a 18-55 lens. Sorry can't help you on the G11? My profile image left was shot with my XTi.

9:51 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I'm a photojournalist, music photographer and photo instructor...my gear list includes a 5dMkII, 1dMkIII and nothing but professional glass. That said, I was looking for something substantially smaller...something about scrambling up a scree slope with thousands of dollars of gear around my neck just seems unnecessary.

If I am out shooting landscapes I'll haul the gear, but when I just want to hike, I think I'll grab the small point and shooter!

Thanks for reading! Anyone else have anything to say? I"m always trying to improve my site!

9:55 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Well, Tim, I'll give it to you straight: you never showed me what the camera looks like; if you said what it cost, I must've skimmed over that.

Welcome to Trailspace, by the way: if you like to talk about hiking, this is your place.

10:17 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Yes, I had to copy and paste the camera model into my search engine to see what you were talking about. A image and desciption o the G11 would be better for comments.

10:24 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hmm, duly noted, nice catch...I'll update it with pics of the camera as well as some specs!

10:32 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've looked at / played with the G11 as a possible replacement to my Canon SD 880IS that I use as my hiking camera (I own several DSLRs and a bunch of lenses, too). The G11 seems like a capable camera, I like that it shoots RAW and that it can be set to full manual. I REALLY like the rotating LCD screen. But it seems that it's just a TAD too big to be used as a pocket camera. Plus, I'm getting great results with the SD 880IS.

10:36 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
5 forum posts
11:01 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Nice picture Jim, where is that? High Sierra?

11:30 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

That is a nice shot -- I'm tempted to guess "not the Range of Light section of the Sierra" but would love to find out how good my guess is.

4:33 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have a Canon G9. Very hike worthy....For a hiking case, I use a Osprey Digi-Stow(large). It fits perfectly with extra and battery and strap.

Great photos....love the camera.

7:08 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Jim,

The G11 is bigger than most point-and-shooters out there, but it is substantially smaller than what I am used to carrying. I keep it in an old Lowepro case I had kicking around, which is big enough to hold the G11 and a snack on my hip-belt.

Johnny,

The Osprey case looks nice, I'll have to keep my eyes out for one!

Keep the comments coming!

8:02 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

BTW, that photo was taken in the Tetons at our camp just below Paintbrush Canyon divide. Here's a link to it on my Flickr site. Lots of other photos there, too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/w9jim/4844699239/

9:47 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Nice shot!

At the far end of the water, slightly to the left of middle, and several feet above the water up on the slope, there is a light brown colored object. Is that a rock? Or do you know Jim?

It caught my eye as we have Red Fox around my home and they are the same color.

10:45 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I went back and looked at the original file. There's nothing there but rocks. The only animal we saw up there, other than mosquitoes, was an ermin.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply