Any feedback on Wolverine Hiking Boots/Shoes

9:06 a.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

I have worn Wolverine for years as a work boot. Love the spacious toe box and the shape of the last works well for my foot.

I've been thinking about trying a Wolverine hiking boot and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them. Their hiking boots seem to be focused around two technologies:

"MultiShox" boots have gel footbeds, a lightweight "comfort flex arch," and "individual compression pads" (some of the lugs have their own, individualized response...or something like that!)

"iCS" technology involves an adjustable footbed. You literally "dial in the comfort." Personally, anything with a "dial" in it concerns me, if only because of the cheezy factor...but you never know until you know.

Anyway, I was hoping for some feedback of any kind. I don't live near a store that carries hiking shoes/boots. Added to that, I have a size 14 foot, so even when I find shoes, I often don't find my size. Aaaarrrrggghhh!

Any feedback on Wolverine would help. Any recommendations on other brands with spacious toe boxes would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

2:42 p.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Hey Skillet,

I know that, when I was searching for my loggers, I noticed Redwings tend to have a very spacious (both wide and tall) toebox, and a heel to match. The employees of the Redwing store in town seem to be very helpful too.

The features you listed above do sound gimmicky; I'd pay more attention to the cut and quality of the leather used, and the boot-to-sole attachment method. Be wary of anyone that recommends liberal use of mink oil...

4:17 p.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Thanks for the feedback.

I've tried on Redwing for work boots and liked them, though I've never owned any. Looking at their website, they list twelve shoes under men's hiking...and most of them are steel-toed! Good shoe maker, but not exactly in touch with our niche market.

As far as Wolverine goes, I might be a little bit trusting of their Multishox plan. The workboots I own use another of their "technologies" ("Durashocks," I think) which sounds equally hokey on paper, but is actually well-thought-out and functional. The iCS technology sounds (and looks) like they have found the line, however...and crossed it.

Thanks again.

11:25 a.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

If it means anything, Wolverine owns the Merrell, Chaco and Patagonia footwear brands.

11:53 p.m. on August 17, 2010 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

I knew about them owning Merrell, but didn't know they owned the others. Merrell is one of the few hiking brands that are carried in my area and my last pair of hiking shoes were Merrells. But the Merrells aren't built on the same shoe lasts as the Wolverines...hence, no extra room in the toes. Also the bottom insides of Merrells are not accomodating to after-market footbeds. This is especially troublesome because the Merrell's factory footbeds are poop.

Thanks for the info, though.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply