Timberline SQ 2XT tent

8:00 p.m. on August 25, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I am about to order this tent, any last minute ideas, good or bad....thanks.

2:46 a.m. on August 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,324 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

My hubby and I have the timberline 30th anniversary tent. Bombproof. It's a 3.5 season tent, but yours has the mesh. I LOVE the size, and the vestibule. I bought a 2nd tent that is lighter, but I STILL prefer the timberline. Good luck!

11:59 a.m. on August 26, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have had great experiences with Eureka. All the way from the product to customer service. I would never hesitate on pulling the trigger on any of their products. The Mountain Pass is in my avatar photo.

12:55 a.m. on August 27, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I'm not the best one to answer, as my Eureka Timberline 4 is around 20 years old! I'm not well acquainted with the current Timberlines, but from what I've seen in the store and read online, they're just about as bombproof as mine. Between my own experience and what I've seen and read, I'd go for it- and I'm considering buying a new Timberline to shave a few pounds off my 20 year old Timberline.

I too also have a lighter, smaller tent- Tarptent Double Rainbow- but it's in another class entirely. The Timberline was originally the tent my dad took to the BWCA, and the tent my brother and I used on family car camping trips when I was a kid. He lent it to me when I went on some camping trips in college and never asked for it back. I'm now going in hiking and car camping trips with my own kid in it. I dare say it's toddlerproof, something no Tarptent will never be. :)

3:13 p.m. on September 2, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

My tent came in today, I got it put up in the back yard. A little trouble at first, now that I see how things go together it will be fine. I got a lot of flak from some people about the weight of this tent on another web site. They say it is too heavy for backpacking, but looking at the tent, I think I am going to like it. I do see the need for some type of ground cloth (foot print). It is starting to get windy here today, not expecting any rain. I will sleep out tonight.

2:38 a.m. on September 16, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

My Boy Scout troop (and many others, from what I've seen) use these tents all the time, though generally for car camping, not backpacking.

Advantages: low cost, spare parts easy to get, basically bulletproof -- if a bunch of teenage boys can't destroy it, you shouldn't be able to.

Disadvantage: orientation to rain is very important! A number of times in the wind-blown rain of Yosemite, we have seen water pool up inside these tents. We determined that, because of the single-wall construction, it is important to point the side of the tent (definitely not the back) towards the weather.

Happy camping!

6:33 p.m. on September 16, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

When I was a Boy Scout we had to use Baker tents. No floor, just a flap to cover the front. I got a cheap little tent with S&H Green stamps, that had a floor and a screen door. I got to use it once, they said that I could not use it because it was not fair to the other Scouts. I said there was nothing stopping them from buying a tent, the Scout Master still said no.....

3:29 p.m. on September 30, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I have had my tent up in the rain for three days, I took it down today and there was a small amount of water inside. Is this normal or do I need to take it back?

4:23 p.m. on September 30, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Curious - did you seam seal it? If not, I'd seal it first then try the rain test again.

6:29 p.m. on September 30, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I did not seal it, I was told by some people on another site that since the tent was new that I did not have to seal it. And it says on the box that it is factory sealed.

6:44 a.m. on October 1, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

A tents sole job is to stand up to rain and wind. If it fails then it is a bad tent. Dont fall in love with a brand name.

I have seen many tents fail over the years. Many made by big name companies. Most the time it is becouse of opperator head space. Yes, allways seam seal a tent. Tents need love and care for them to hold up well, Look at it this way, There is only a thin cloth between you and the weather. So the cloth better work, and you better treat it with care.

4:03 p.m. on October 1, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

The rainfly on the Timberline tents is not a full coverage fly. The ends are exposed and if those ends aren't buttoned up tight as a drum there will be leaking. Make sure the zippers are seated tightly into their ends and inspect the seams for any obvious flaws. If everything looks okay then try sealing the seams with Aquaseal. If after proper treatment the tent still leaks, then request an exchange from Eureka.

8:58 a.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I think the SQ is a great tent. Though the fly is not full coverage, the back door (without vestibule) has a waterproof window covering so it is fine in the rain. A bit heavy but as long as you don't mind the weight, enjoy and don't let anyone tell you different. I keep considering getting one for short trips with the gf and dogs.

I have the Timberlite model (OOP). Great tent (similar to the Timberline) that has been in a lot of rain and always kept me dry.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply