sleeping bag

6:28 p.m. on September 16, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I bought a Kelty Cosmic 20 sleeping bag. 3lb 14oz, I know take it back cause it's too heavy, but that is what I could afford. Now that I have it out of the bag, how in the world do you get it back in?

6:05 p.m. on September 17, 2010 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Hi Mike,

That's a million dollar question and the answer is that it is darn near impossible. I find once out of the bag the only way to get them back in is by stuffing only. Good luck!

Jacqueline

6:34 p.m. on September 17, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Get an ounce or two of silicone fluid, make the appropriate offerings to the gods that morning, swear at it a lot...

(Roll it back up as tightly as you can, sit on it, and have a friend cinch 550-cord around it as tightly as you can. Wedge it back into the plastic, then stick a hand back in there and nip the cord with some scissors.)

7:27 p.m. on September 17, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

Like Wilderness Gal says, just stuff it Mike. It doesn't need to be rolled back up the way it came from the store. The important thing to remember is to store it loosely between trips, either by hanging it up or in a large mesh laundry bag. Keeping the bag tightly rolled or stuffed for long periods will reduce the bags loft & performance.

I too have some heavy gear, it was cheap, serves the purpose well enough. I use it on trips to the lake where I travel short distances on foot or in a boat. I save my better gear for other areas. My first bit of gear was mostly old musty army surplus, I still had a lot of fun.

10:26 a.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Trouthunter makes a good point. Get what you can afford. As time and your travels expand you will pick up better stuff. No need to rush into it. Just be safe and have fun with what you have.

2:36 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I finally did roll it up tight enough to get it back into the bag. Another question I have is: How do you attach the sleeping bag to the back, that is what hold it on? Do I need a compression bag and if so what brand? I guess that's two questions.

4:37 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

What kind of pack do you have? If the pack is big enough, just put the bag in the bottom inside the pack, otherwise, you can use straps or light line like parachute cord to strap it to your pack-usually on top, but it depends on the pack design. With an old school external frame, it probably would fit under the pack bag.

A compression sack will probably help. Brand isn't important. REI sells them.

8:06 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I am trying to use a Northface Terra 30, it probably is not big enough.

8:18 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Trouthunter, I read your post on the hike around Santee. That sounds like something I would like to do this fall. So this dike goes all the way around the lake, how may miles, where would you park to do this?........Thanks, Mike

10:26 p.m. on September 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Are you trying to find a different bag? I purchased a Kelty 20 degree synthetic down for my son this summer. I got it from Target, I believe it was $89.00, weighs less than 3lbs and fits into a really small bag that comes with it(which I can put it back into). He loved the bag. The scoutmaster he tented with was going to purchase one when they got home and I have since bought a second one on his recommendation. I plan on using this one, it is a mummy bag which I normally don't like as I have to be able to move my legs but the foot is a little wider than most. Anyhow, maybe something to check out. It's not super cheap but considering some bags are well above $100, it's not bad either.

10:54 a.m. on September 21, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

ScoutMom, that is the same bag that I bought. Got it at Sportsmans Warehouse.

6:44 p.m. on September 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

Trouthunter, I read your post on the hike around Santee. That sounds like something I would like to do this fall. So this dike goes all the way around the lake, how may miles, where would you park to do this?........Thanks, Mike

Hey mike,

The trail that goes around the lake is part of the state wide Palmetto Trail. Although some of the sections in the upstate are not completed; the lower part of the trail is complete from about Columbia, southward all the way to the coast.

The section of the Palmetto Trail that traverses the lake (Lake Moultrie section) wraps around the Northeast side of the lake.

There is also the dike road, (which is used by hikers) and is for official vehicle access, as best I know, and runs the top of the dike right beside the river. I am not sure the dike runs completely around the lake, I have had a hard time getting that information off the internet, so I plan to call Santee Cooper as they are the ones who manage the lakes.

There are multiple boat ramps with parking lots around the lake, and also parking to access the Palmetto Trail.

I wish I knew more about the dike road, but I'm working on it. I tried to check by looking on Google Earth but you can't zoom in far enough to tell for some reason, just outside the lake boundry you can zoom in much farther.

Here is the official site for the Palmetto Trail, with maps and section descriptions:

http://www.sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAILS/Palmetto%20Trail/PALMETTO%20TRAIL.html

I have yet to do this trail, I had planned to do it this summer, but knee problems have kept me from doing any long hikes.

Lot of good info at the site I linked to, hope that helps.

8:08 p.m. on September 21, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Thanks Trout!!!!!!

11:05 p.m. on September 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Ours are Kelty Light Trekker 20. They weigh 2lb. 8oz. But I guess it could be the same bag just marketed under a different name.

8:23 a.m. on September 22, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

That is the difference, "Light Trekker". Mine is the "Cosmic" and comes in a just under 4lb.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply