Waterproof Travel Pouch?

12:49 a.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

or some type of wallet ? I do extensive outdoor activites and need " something" - I can wear while I am doing hiking- swimming- zip lines- all kinds of activity. It must be waterproof and be able to carry my ID plus about a 5 day supply of my medications.If I wear a " fanny pack" type- if I get robbed while in other countries- I am without my medication. The $$$ is one thing- my medication is quite another that I have to have approx every 6 hours from a very serious condition. So- I guess I am looking for something that is not real visible- waterproof and stays on my person very well. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thank You

3:24 a.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I'm not sure how much room you need for your medication. I would assume that one of the waterproof camera bags on a lanyard around your neck would work. You could hang it under your jacket or something, even in a cargo pocket.

Look here to get an idea.

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500274&cat=4501504&hist=cat%2C4500274%3APaddling+Bags+and+Packs%5Ecat%2C4501504%3AWaterproof+Cases

8:48 a.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

Medication in a small ziplock bag? Id's normaly dont need to be waterproofed in my experience.

10:39 a.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I'd go with the plastic otter box given the medication issues.  There are some on the REI link.  They are not as convenient as something flexible, but they will be secure.

4:47 p.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
20 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

There are a series of dry bags out there that are sized to fit a passport and some other odds and ends. If going overseas this might be what your looking for. Plus depending on the company, there are various tie-down points from which to attach the dry-thingy. Anyway, some solid companies are SeatoSummit, Outdoor Research has a pretty decent selection. The best way to find what fits your needs is to go to a local kayak or rafting dealer if there are any nearby. If not the watersports sections in REI, Backcountry, Moosejaw, Campmor, and possibly Sierra Trading Post will have some of these. Check the dimesions in the detail section of the product after having figured out how much space you want or require for your meds. If in pill form, double wrap by keeping them in a ziploc just in case, and if in the glass bottle with syringes form, a cigar case or similar sized item can provide more structural support that would not be found in a drybag. Though if truly needing a safe place for the meds but still kinda harder to carry the otterbox listed earlier in this thread are going to be the safest bet, if surviving nuclear armagedon and the equivalent are in the plans. Those things are to the degree of near-bombproof, and a worthy investment anytime.

5:38 p.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,138 forum posts

I use Ziploc's for all my drybag needs. And one sealed Ziploc inside another can double the seal. The Alligator bags and Freezer bags are the most durable

5:46 p.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

One of these waterproof hard cases might do the trick.

6:33 p.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

I have to disagree with TheRambler about documentation not needing water protection. While it is true that a lot of ID documents, credit cards, and such are plastic or laminated these days, I discovered that some of the visas and entries stamped into my passport were not done with waterproof ink after carrying it in a neck wallet in several days in a rain forest. So I now carry my passport in a ziplock that is just the right size for a passport and other ID and credit cards also in ziplocks. The neck wallet is worn under your jacket or shirt (made by lots of companies these days - I use one by Eagle Creek and another by PacSafe - the PacSafe has a cord that can not be cut because of the wire cable inside the strap). Paper money goes in a moneybelt if I am carrying a lot for certain countries where credit cards are not widely accepted with a thin wallet with the day's needs of cash where an armed mugger can be readily placated - dress like a local bum and the muggers don't expect much, though I have never been mugged on the street (just in a hugely overpriced restaurant that looked a lot cheaper than it turned out to be).

As for your meds, look into those "neck safes" that surfers use. They are waterproof (and float, if you are surfing or going into whitewater). They are a bit large in some cases to wear under your shirt. I also use some of the small Pelican cases for things that have to be kept dry (I like Pelican cases better than Otter boxes, including the small sizes that Otter specializes in).

There are also leg wallets by companies like PacSafe, Eagle Creek, and a few others.

All of these will have to be removed when going through Airport Security, of course, except maybe for the money belt. Also remember for medications that when going through Customs, you may need to show your prescriptions and some countries require the prescriptions to be in the original container (I noticed this on the entry card they gave us on the plane for one country I was entering recently - I don't take prescriptions myself on a long-term basis, but the anti-malarials we needed were prescription meds and we had to show them).

10:18 p.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Wow !! Thanks to all !! Having to take meds is a real pain but I don't let it slow me down. I have been fighting some pesky tumours for years and I'm still stromin the castles.I really value and the input and send out a big " THANKS" Much Appreciated!!

5:22 a.m. on November 22, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

..As for your meds, look into those "neck safes" that surfers use. They are waterproof (and float, if you are surfing or going into whitewater)...

Also consider the waterproof match cases you can get at any store with a camping department. Cheap and easy to stash in a pocket.  Buy several it you need more volume.

Ed

5:48 a.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

if I get robbed while in other countries- I am without my medication. The $$$ is one thing- my medication is quite another that I have to have approx every 6 hours from a very serious condition. 

I don't have advice for waterproof pouches past what has already been recommended above, however I would advise for you to keep the bulk of your medication at your secure home base, and 2x the amount you need to get you back to home base, in different locations on your person.

Also perhaps to learn the word for "medicine" in the local language.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply