Advice on Dry Sacks

3:56 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I still feel the need to get out and  camp. And it is clear that winter has arrived here on the Oregon coast. Of coarse that means wet wet weather. I find myself almost ready. All I have to do is keep clothing dry.

Is there any real differances in dry sacks? What sacks do you guys and gals use? What should I be looking for in a dry sack?

Low Temps here at night only reach in the low 20s. Like I said this is mainly for clothes. Or is there something else that I should be covering as well?

10:02 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I've never used or even cared for the idea of dry sacks. If I'm going to be someplace that I expect it to be wet I put my cloths into large ziplok freezer bags. That way I can keep them seperate rather than have to dig around a larger bag, it also helps that they are clear to see whats inside. It also makes it easy to pack around other items in my pack.

Another way to go that I have not tried but read about a lot is trash compacter bags as pack liners.

4:39 p.m. on November 26, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,300 forum posts

i prefer sea to summit's dry bags.  i like that they are fully functional and well-made, seam-taped and so on.  they have a roll-top that clips shut and seals out water, and different colors so it's easier to ID gear easily in the pack.  if you really want to go cadillac, they make eVent dry bags.  same roll top that clips shut, but you can shrink the contents easily by clipping the bag tight then gently squeezing, basically makes it like a vacuum-sealed bag because air can escape eVent. 

i use dry bags  mostly when in near/around water because they can literally get dunked in a river and keep the contents dry.  for hiking, i use a few for items i really don't want to get wet. 

you can use a garbage bag inside your pack plus a pack-cover outside as a less-expensive alternative.  a tried and true method that still works quite well. 

10:11 a.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I've lost plastic before. I'm not proud of that fact. Some how the forest just hides it well from my eyes. I think I need something bright colored so I can better see it.

I've found some expencive ones and some less expencive ones. As there are not many reviews that I can find, I was just wondering about others thoughts.

Ok, another thing. They measure the bags by liters. This doesnt tell me if my down sleeping bag will fit. Could be short and fat or thin and tall. Some give flat dimentions. I'm alittle rusty on my math skills but I think I can handle it. I have no sporting good stores within a hour and half drive from me. So I'm stuck buying it online.

Maybe one of you can give me a hand. My bag rolls up to 12" L x 7"dia.

3:51 a.m. on November 28, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

The dimensions you give work out to about 7.5 liters (if my math is correct).

I have a few dry bags and can never get all the air out when rolling the top closed so they wind up having a balloon effect. If getting all the air out is important, then I might suggest one with a valve to remove excess air.

8:08 a.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Well I did it. Like many things that I have no knowledge about, or even if I realy need it. I'm not willing to dish out alot of cash for. Time will tell if I upgrade or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=220698977333&si=t64iVq432IrIL4QeM0Dre2mokl8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

4:45 a.m. on December 9, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

i prefer sea to summit's dry bags.  i like that they are fully functional and well-made, seam-taped and so on.  they have a roll-top that clips shut and seals out water, and different colors so it's easier to ID gear easily in the pack.  if you really want to go cadillac, they make eVent dry bags.  same roll top that clips shut, but you can shrink the contents easily by clipping the bag tight then gently squeezing, basically makes it like a vacuum-sealed bag because air can escape eVent. 

i use dry bags  mostly when in near/around water because they can literally get dunked in a river and keep the contents dry.  for hiking, i use a few for items i really don't want to get wet. 

you can use a garbage bag inside your pack plus a pack-cover outside as a less-expensive alternative.  a tried and true method that still works quite well. 

Sea to Sunmmit e-Vent compression dry sacs are fantastic!

Here is the Trailspace review: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sea-to-summit/event-compression-dry-sack/

I have one in every size...certainly dont use them all at once, but if you have one why not have the entire collection!  Ya...I'm a gear freak as well so take my advice with a grain of salt =)

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply