Nemo tents

3:48 a.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I'd like to know everyones take on these AST (air support technology) tents.  I read about them years ago in Backpacker well before they hit the market.

I like the idea...what are your thoughts?

=)

7:28 a.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

My friend has one. I guess with most gear it's a love it or hate it relationship. All in all a great technology from what I can tell.

Only downside is that it can be a hassle in colder weather because the beams will "deflate" a little due to the air temp. So you have to top them off. Other than that, he really likes it.

10:04 a.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

^ Yes, this was my first take as well but I really wanted unbias opinions. 

Thanks Rambler...which model does he own?

11:53 a.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

They are beyond expensive. A Nemo Morpho 2P will set you back around $400.00 and more if you get the Pawprint. That said I really want one.

I expect I will end up getting a Kelty Grand Mesa 2

Also the packed weight of the Nemo tent is 5 lbs. 8 oz. and the Kelty comes in at 4 pounds, 2 ounces.

1:04 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I have a Nemo Moki and it's a great tent.  I would expect the other models to be good as well.

1:48 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Nemo AST was developed for JSOC. More specifically for long-range recon operators, so I have a feeling they did a bit of R&D on the Gogo at least. I'd by one if I were in the market for their feature set.

3:35 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Nemo tent are no longer as expensive as they were when the first hit the market.  In fact the Gogo was on SteepandCheap for %40 off...however, I cant remember the exact dollar amount.

Cam Brensinger of NEMO started out as an independent industrial designer before presenting his innovations to a NASA panel.  See the Trailspace article: http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2010/01/12/cam-brensinger-nemo-equipment.html

His passion for the outdoors really sparked the interest to start his own company.  In the early to mid 1990's he was already designing outdoor equipment while in college.

It wasn't until years later or late 2006 when Nemo took on working in conjunction with the 'Navy Seal division' and  Joint Special Operations Command.  (or 4 years after the official launch of 'Nemo' the registered company in 2002)

3:54 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Steepand Cheap has been running the Gogo Solo for $154.

See here for sale history.

http://sac.gearattack.com/items/40818

4:01 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Ya thats friggin' cheap!  You cant buy a glorified bivy for that kinda coin...thanks Gary C. 

Good post

=)

4:03 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Ya thats friggin' cheap!  You cant buy a glorified bivy for that kinda coin...thanks Gary C. 

Good post

=)

4:03 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

sorry about the double post again...I dont know why it (me) is doing that

9:37 p.m. on December 10, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

rdagg, don't get too excited because you still have to catch it at that price. You can buy it right now at the $203 price but the $154 price is hit or miss. It may or may not come up again so you might want to think about the 40% off that it is now. You never know when they are going to run out.

You can register at the site below and and flag the Nemo Gogo as a watched item and they will send you an instant message when (if) it goes up for the $154 price. It will only be up for sale for a limited time but it can give you an edge other than constantly checking.

http://sacalerts.com/

5:53 a.m. on December 11, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

He has the Morpho 1p i do believe

5:53 a.m. on December 11, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

I have a nemo meta 2p (trek pole tent) and am head over heels in love with the thing.

7:43 a.m. on December 11, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Cool...thanks fellas! 

Gary C. - Thanks for the great 'heads-up'!!!  I've known about that site (used it) for years but had no clue you could buy things after the deal had disappeared.

The Rambler - I hope I am as happy with mine once I get it.  Do you solo with yours or use it as a 2 man?

I feel caught up now...want the Gogo badly but would love to pay 154 not 203.   LOL, based on everyone's comments that have on it is well worth the coin so maybe I should just bite the bullet!

Hmm...lets put it to a vote.

respond 150

or

respond 200

=)

1:51 p.m. on December 11, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

The Nemo Espri 2p is an attractive tent. It also has a hiking pole vestibule option. I may be swaying back to getting a nemo versus the Kelty now.  It's even 3.8 pounds packed saving a little extra weight. I wonder if I can dye the rain fly and vestibule so they are a little darker.

orsm09-nemo-espri-1.jpg

5:24 p.m. on December 11, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Nice looking tent!

I personally like a smaller tent with a large vestibule for my needs.

Vestibule space weighs less than tent space.

8:45 p.m. on December 11, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have been reading some reviews and people like it or hate it and  took it back. I guess most tent reviews are the same. One major concern of mine is the rain fly looks a little small. Some people say it took 70MPH winds and rain with no problem and others say they needed tarps to keep the rain out. They also say its good for one but small for two. The four tie corners also connect to plastic do-dads that if broken would sacrifice the tent in the field. I guess it would be easy enough to get an extra one. Buying tents is like rolling the dice. I may have to join the REI club and drive the extra miles to get to REI just in case.

11:58 a.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

rdagg, I use the Meta 2P 90% of the time with just me and my siberian husky. Though my wife does come with me every now and then. It is plenty of room for 2 people, more so than most other "2 person" tents.

2:45 p.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I really like the Espri as well. But, as far as the weight goes, I think the minimum weight is for the tent with just the rain fly over the door option, no vestibule. The tent comes with I believe its a 9 sq ft vestibule and a flat covering to cover the door in the rain (no storage). The trekking pole vestibule is a $100 or so option that will probably bring the weight over 4 pounds.

7:49 p.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

TheRambler that Nemo Meta 2p looks awesome. I really like the fact it has no poles of it's own and uses hiking poles like the espri's vestibule. I think the meta 2p is winning now. It has more vestibule room, room inside, and still comes in at 2.9 pounds.

bigmeta2p1.jpg

10:28 p.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

I have some pics of it on my facebook page if you want to see it set up in the field. I absolutely love the Meta 2P, lots and lots of room and really holds up well to strong winds, rain, and snow so far.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2100782&id=1245436773&l=4e15d7450e

1:57 p.m. on December 18, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

TheRambler - I have been reading a lot of reviews of the Meta 2P and may buy one. Some reviews are warning it builds up a lot of condensation. Do you get a lot of condensation in it?

8:23 p.m. on December 19, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Well I put in my wish list with Santa and I hope I was good enought this year to have earned a NEW NEMO =)

I'll let you fellas know after the 25th...

Merry X-Mas and everyone have a safe holiday!

2:30 p.m. on December 20, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

Well it really just depends on the conditions DrReaper. As with any single wall tent you can get light to heavy condensation at times.

During the summer and fall I had no condensation issues at all. I have had some condensation issues so far this winter/late fall, once again cold weather and single wall tents are notorius for condensation. Mainly only when I have the vestibules closed up tight due to a storm however do I really get alot of condensation. I also have a siberian husky in the tent with me, so that doesn't help matters either haha.

I found that if you set up your tent (orientation wise) so that the wind is hitting the vestibule area and not the side walls it greatly aids in preventing condensation all together.

That all being said, it has never really been all that bad. Just a quick 30 second wipe down of the inside with a bandanna or pack towel in the morning and problem solved. It has never been so bad as to drip or give me a shower.

If I were to rate the Nemo Meta 2P based off a 1-10 scale of single wall tent condensation woes, 1 being worst and 10 being best. I would rate the meta 2p above average at a 7.

One thing that helps to prevent condensation also is wearing a balaclava or similar type mask over your mouth and nose. I get almost zero condensation wearing a balaclava.

7:29 p.m. on January 12, 2011 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Your dog is beautiful.  

5:57 a.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

Thank you!

August 2, 2014
Quick Reply