Day pack advise

8:03 p.m. on December 11, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I need a new daypack that is meant for a full day of hiking. I've been doing all kinds of article reading and other research, but I still haven't been able to make the decision. So I've decided to ask here. Here's what I'm looking for: ~1500 - 1800 cu Top loader (preferred, but I like some panel loaders too) Good aerated suspension Hydration compatable Hip belt (pockets in this is a plus) Fit for bushwhacking and scrambling Well built, durable pack No more than $120 preferred Not super "pockety"

Any recommendations of packs you have used or have heard good things about are very welcome.

Jeff

2:51 p.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Look into the Osprey Talon series. I have the 44 (largest, I think it's 2700). I use it mostly for day hikes but have used it for overnighters without a problem, it fits it all. They have 2 water bottle pockets, a center stash pocket and two little pockets on the hip belt. They are light and durable.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/TalonSeriesMultiUse

5:23 p.m. on December 12, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line - the Little Tahoma - I have it, love it. $79 so it's pretty cheap.

First Ascent is a line that's only a little over a year old, but it will catch on strong. It's designed by professional guides and mountaineers who use the actual gear sold in stores on expeditions like Everest and Mt Rainier.

It's legit stuff, and not well known, and highly under rated.

8:55 a.m. on December 13, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

I also like streamlined packs, without lots of pockets.

I have and like several of the Osprey Talon packs.

The Talon 33 is near the size you're looking for.

Also, consider Deuter, I've liked several packs I've used by them.

That said, try and go somewhere you can check out and try on the packs, with weight, when buying. There are some excellent packs out there, but they may not be an excellent fit for you.

12:57 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

The Deuter ACT Trail 32 is an awesome daypack.

11:56 a.m. on December 14, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

An update on the Little Tahoma - apparently Eddie Bauer stopped selling it. My guess is because it doesn't have a chest strap to connect the two shoulder straps - a design flaw that bothers a lot of people.

I think they will probably be redesigning it and release it again, but you can find the little Tahoma online at other places for cheaper now - like around $50.

here's a link with a picture and specs - looks like it meets a lot of your needs.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/details/backpacks/2055

10:38 a.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I like the Gregory Z bags - I found them to fit me better then Osprey, you can find them on a good deal right now on backcountry.com

I use the Kalmia 28 as my everyday pack, it's a good one, a bit more sturdy then the Z, and I love how it pack, but then for pure hiking you can find better - very handy for my as it have a laptop sleeve.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply