About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Silk Liner

11:00 a.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Who has experience with liner bags, and do you reccomend one. I`ve never used one but I recently purchased a very nice and very expensive down bag and have heard that a liner will protect it from body oils and obviously increase temp. rating a few degrees.

12:44 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I have always used either a liner bag or a thin layer of clothes that I designate as "pajamas" only.  As a result I have several bags that are 40 years old and have their original loft.  I think they are a prudent use of weight for down bags.

I've used cotton, silk and nylon for the liner bag.  I've gravitated toward using clothes, however.  I use loose nylon socks, very lightweigt wind pants and wind breaker, nylon t shirt and thin stretch balaclava.  Total weight for this set is about 3/4 lb.  This sleep outfit also serves as my dry set of clothes for camp and tent. 

3:55 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I use a silk liner for keeping my bag free of body oils, dirt, etc that the human body sheds when sleeping. I do not find that they add a noticable amount of warmth to the bag. Mine liner weighs less than 4oz and I feel it protects the inside of my bag better than designated PJs (but that is my opinion). If you are looking to protect your bag, it is a good choice (and silk weighs less than other choices). It you are looking to up the warmth rating of your bag, get one with 4oz more down filling. It will cost more but it will be tremendously better for warmth.

6:20 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I use a silk liner for my bag and it works well for me, they do keep the inside of my bags cleaner. In cold temps I wear my Terramar Silk base layer & wool socks in my bag, I like to have a layer on when I climb out of my bag into the cold, it just makes life easier for me.

7:53 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

For years I used a cotton liner I made by sewing a bed sheet together, then a friend gave me a silk liner, not only is it 75% lighter it helps keep me warmer and my sleeping bag cleaner. I still tend to wear nothing to bed because I feel warmer naked or just a pair of light undershorts. Course getting out of my bag on frigid cold mornings a bit harder, even tho I usually keep my clothes under my head in a stuff sack for a pillow.

8:44 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

i use a cocoon coolmax liner.  i don't think it adds much in terms of warmth, but i do think it keeps the inside of my bags clean.  

if you have a four season bag and expect to spend extended time out in the worst cold, it's worth considering a vapor barrier liner for the bag (VBL).  takes some getting used to because it keeps the sweat in.  but, it adds a fair bit more warmth than a breathable liner, and it also keeps vapor from getting into the down and freezing, which can compromise the insulating properties.  (obviously, these also keep oils and stink out of your bag too).  i used one on a ten-day trip, white mountains in January, a long time ago, and it worked quite well once i got accustomed to it.  

i just looked, vbl bag liners are still out there.  western mountaineering, integral designs, and campor sell them.  (the campmor is cheap, makes you wonder about durability).

10:08 a.m. on December 16, 2010 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Thanks guys, I think I`ll go with a silk one as I am a lightweight. It has to add some warmth and on those x-tra warm nights I can just use it.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply