Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 or Switch 35 Sleeping Bag?

3:57 p.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I'm scoping a new 3 season sleeping bag to purchase and have pretty much settled on it being a Mountain Hardwear bag. I just can't decide between the Lamina 35 and the Swich 35. I'm leaning toward the Lamina but there just aren't a lot of "reliable" reviews to go by...

The Switch is a bit cheaper and actually has a few degree more warmth than the lamina but is also a full pound heavier and packs a bit bigger and doesn't include a compression sack. The of course when I start thinking about the weight/size I start thinking well, I could save myself even more and just get the Marmot Trestles 30... I'm makin myself nuts...

The size/weight difference of the lamina is attractive and the few degrees isn't going to change my life. The price difference also isn't that big.

I'm interested in the Switch just because of the "Quantum Expander" feature. Supposed to allow you more room or more comfortable upper temperature sleeping... My gut tells me to stay away from gimmicky things like this but I'm just curious if anyone has experience with this bag or the Lamina?

5:49 p.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I think that the Lamina are great bags - I never used one but I sold many of them. I would say that they are getting as close as you get to down bags - they last long time, pack small...case the laminated construction they are light...saying that, I don't really know the switch...but when friends asked me before I was really happy to suggest the Lamina

6:44 p.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

My son uses a MH Switch 20. It packs fairly small and is light enough not to be overbearing but it does'nt really come close to the temp rating.He would never use it in temperatures near freezing even wearing base layers.

2:33 a.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

My son uses a MH Switch 20. It packs fairly small and is light enough not to be overbearing but it does'nt really come close to the temp rating.He would never use it in temperatures near freezing even wearing base layers.

I'm not planning on using this for winter camping. Like I said, three seasons, mostly.

Since they all seem to fudge the numbers I've made a point of finding the EN ratings (European Testing Standard) for all the bags I'm looking at.Your son's Switch 20 actually has a comfort rating of 34f and a lower limit of 23f. Don't know where they get off calling it a 20 degree bag in that case but it should be able to handle mid twenties, with some clothing. Of course factoring in that everyone is different and some people just sleep colder or warmer despite the bag...

The lamina 35 has a comfort rating of 41 and a lower limit of 32f. The Switch 35 is 39 & 30f, so it's not a big difference. The stuff size is 7x12 and 7x15 respectively. and a difference of a pound.

Thanks for the info from both of you.. I'm pretty much settled on the Lamina. I'll be sure to put in a review of it after I've put a little mileage on it.

6:15 a.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Well its up to you. But before you buy, look at the High Peak bags. They are getting very good reviews. And for the price they are a steal.

10:25 a.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Well its up to you. But before you buy, look at the High Peak bags. They are getting very good reviews. And for the price they are a steal.

I did see the recent postings on the High Peak bags and looked into them a bit. I haven't seen them in my area at all and looking online it seems the only internet dealer is Amazon or some web site that doesn't seem... established, for the lack of a better description.

I like having a local retailer that if there is a problem, I can bring it back and they will take care of it.

12:15 p.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

We have both the lamina and the trestles, Don't know anything about the switch. I use the lamina 4 seasons My 14 year old uses the trestles 4 seasons

The lamina easily packs down to 1/2 the size of the trestles, and easily fits into the bottom compartment of my internal frame pack. The trestles is a fight to get into the bottom pocket, but works well with his external frame pack. Real world weight wise they are close enough to the same we don't notice.

I'm 5'9"-175 and easily fit into the lamina with plenty of room to toss and turn. I'm a side sleeper most of the time. I bought the long, so I could store things in the bottom during the winter. I wish i would have bought the regular.

On top of a 2.5" thermarest inside a 3season tent I have been comfy sleeping in 20 degree weather, wearing underarmor and wool socks. I have added a fleece liner ands slept in 0 degree weather wearing the same clothes. When I took the bag to summer camp it was way to warm to sleep in, so I unzipped and used it more as a blanket, it worked, but I may use the fleece bag this year instead.

The bag has always been stored hanging, and stuffed the night before we leave. Ive never had a problem with the insulation. The zippers do catch on the draft tube every time. It has to be close to 0 deg before I close up the hood.

Btw- I use a thermarest luxury camp mattress And a hammerhead 2 tent

Hope this helps Cary

7:34 p.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thats cool, and I understand. They are good bags. But without a retailer in your area I would be hesitent too.

9:26 p.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Thanks for the info Cary.

I agree the Marmot Trestles is a really nice bag also, especially in that price range. I really like the exterior shell, seems like it must be really durable & weather proof.

But, I went down to the local Ramsey Outdoor today and picked up the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35. Actually, I kinda stole it. They had it on special at $130. and I get a coupon emailed to me every month from being on their mailing list, $25. of any purchase over $100. so my final cost was $105.!! and that WITH a nice compression sack and mesh storage bag included. This thing is really nice. Packs down smaller than a football and you feel the warmth building within several seconds of being in it. Picked up an insulated Big Agnes inflatable pad to go with it and, pardon the pun, I'm a happy camper.

I got the long also, as I do the same with keeping my clothes in the bottom though the Mountain Hardwear regular is still several inches longer than most companies longs, I almost wish I had taken the regular also.

Of course my wife waits to tell me on the way home that the women's Marmot Trestles was on sale for $69.--! Almost turned back to get her a new bag.

Anyway, thanks all for the input. I'll put up a review after getting it dirty.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply