gigastove piezo problems?

10:24 p.m. on January 8, 2011 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Users of Snow Peak's Giga Stove with the autostart piezo--Do you have any trouble with it igniting the gas?  Mine sparks but it doesn't ignite the gas.  I've tried it on high flow, low flow, and barely there flow.  I can see the spark occuring between the electrode tip and burner.  Once the stove's going (with a match) it's a great compact canister stove.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if the stove has an issue.  Anyone else having/had problems?

Kelly83686

6:19 a.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Spark gap alignment? I have a stove that is constantly needing to be adjusted - it must get bent out of shape packing and unpacking. A wider gap is counterintuitive but often works. Maybe alcohol if there's some carbon on it.

6:39 a.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

Sadly, this is an issue in all brands/makes/models of canister stoves. General advice is to not buy the piezo option. It's handy when they work, but they are known for being finicky and having issues. Alot can depend on the weather conditions, more so temp and humidity levels in addittion to what Pathloser said. Cleanliness is key. Piezo=PITA ,bic= =)

So I doubt your doing anything wrong, it's just the nature of the beast. If the stove is new you could probally return it for the non piezo model.

10:35 a.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Dag nab it!

Confounded gizmos of this sort were designed mainly to catch consumers, like all the whack bass lures in the tackle department.  Just git yerself a vice grip, rip that little bugger off yer kit, and chalk it up to a lesson learned

Ed

5:50 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Dag nab it!

Confounded gizmos of this sort were designed mainly to catch consumers, like all the whack bass lures in the tackle department.  Just git yerself a vice grip, rip that little bugger off yer kit, and chalk it up to a lesson learned

Ed

or chalk it up to a few ounces saved...

I bought the Snow Peak without the igniter as I am too familiar with piezo igniters not working or maybe it just seemed wrong throwing a switch to start my fire in the backwoods... It is a great stove. I just use a fire steel for an igniter instead.

As was said, if it's new I'd return it and trade it in for the non piezo model.

6:43 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hi Kelly83686,

Is there by any chance wind involved when you are having trouble igniting your stove? Or does this happen all the time?

I  am not a big fan of piezo ignitors either; you have to carry matches, a bic, or flint & steel anyway so I've always considered piezo ignitors unnecessary and extra weight.

I do have one on my full size Coleman lantern and quite frankly I can often light it faster with a lit stick through one of the holes in the base.

6:49 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Whomeworry said:

"Confounded gizmos of this sort were designed mainly to catch consumers, like all the whack bass lures in the tackle department."

Concerning fishing lures....Absolutely!

2:42 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I found if I turn the stove on just barely--I have to hold it up next to my ear and listen closely to the first sound of gas--the piezo will light it on the 2nd or 3rd try.  I do notice even the slightest breeze will affect it also. 

Hopefully I won't ever burn my hair off with this technique.

3:02 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I've used the Gigastove for a couple of years now and noticed at first that the piezo lighter was not working as I had expected.

For a while I had actually removed it from the actual stove but one day put it back on and played around with bending the tip and bending a metal clip (have to check when I get home which one). After a bit of trial and error its been lighting my stove first shot every time for over a year now. Do so at your own risk but if your going to give up on it anyway it may be worth a shot...

3:03 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

If you want to play around with checking whether it will light the stove or not, you can just use a BIC lighter and press down on the fuel and placing it under the piezo, rather than waste the more expensive stove fuel...

2:18 p.m. on January 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
368 forum posts

Mine works just fine at home (sea level).  But it refuses to work at elevation.  In fact, I don't even see a spark at elevation.  And since I am usually using it above 10,000', it doesn't do me much good.  I have tried playing with the gap, but to no avail.

Since I got it at REI, it won't be a problem to return it for the non-piezo version, but at this point I don't know if it's worth the hassle.  It would be simpler to just remove the piezo unit from mine.

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply