About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

VIDEO: Tenkara Fly Rod

10:20 a.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,394 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I just received a new piece of gear, and I wanted to share.  It's a Tenkara Fly Rod.  It's the traditional form of Japanese fly fishing and it's incredibly simple.  It's a 12' telescoping rod that you tie the line to the end of.  No reel, super compact for hiking, it only weighs 3 oz., and anyone can do it.  

I"m attaching a video about Tenkara made by Ryan Jordan:

7:39 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Arson, are you familiar with Jason Klass?

Jason's videos are where I first saw the Tenkara, I still haven't tried one yet but I'm sure I will get around to it.

Nice video, thanks for posting.

9:07 p.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

In CA this rig would be illegal when I was growing up. Not sure what the laws are for the long poles now. I was just out the other day and a Korean guy had a 10+ pole. I guess they must have changed by now.

The theroy back in the day was combined with a canoe they catch too many fish so Fish and Game outlawed their use.

1:58 a.m. on January 12, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Tenkara rods are legal and have quite a following here in CA the last couple of years. I know several guys that have Tenkara rods and love them for small streams.

6:27 a.m. on January 12, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,394 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Arson, are you familiar with Jason Klass?

Jason's videos are where I first saw the Tenkara, I still haven't tried one yet but I'm sure I will get around to it.

Nice video, thanks for posting.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Jason's videos and belong to his backpack fly fishing forum.  I steal his ideas every chance I get. :)

2:13 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,394 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

A very short outing to Cicero Creek. I caught one shiner, and it got itself caught up in some grass so I was able to let it off without even taking it out of the water. A good first Tenkara Rod outing, even if it was only for half of an hour.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply