Mighty Mite Dog Tent

10:17 a.m. on January 27, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am looking for information from anyone who has experience using the Mighty Mite dog tent on camping/backpacking trips. It seems pretty light and has an optional rain fly sheet. Thanks for any help!

12:43 p.m. on January 27, 2011 (EST)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I always keep my dog(s) in my tent with me. I like them close, knowing what they are doing and yes, the cuddles.

I wouldn't use that product, well maybe I'd keep it up in my back yard for the dogs to hang/play in but that's about it.

Besides, why carry more weight than needed?

1:28 p.m. on January 27, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I checked them out and here's my take. Their products are designed for back yard, and for sheltering competition and show dogs.

From the website:
Made for dog professionals by dog professionals.
Field tested on REAL show & performance dogs!

From the looks of the products, they re lightweight, and light duty (Lots of plastic.) Not really made for camping or backpacking. 

4:05 p.m. on January 27, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I prefer cuddling with my wife. At 3 pounds, it is light enough for one of my dogs to carry. Also, it is cheap enough to replace every year. Now, how many nights it will hold up is the question.

I know that most of the site's testimonials are from people using them at dog shows/competitions. I would still like to hear from someone who has actual experience with using the tent for camping/backpacking.

5:29 p.m. on January 27, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

My dog either sleeps in my tent, under my hammock tarp, or in a shelter with me(with others consent of course). I just put down a piece of ccf and an old military poncho liner for her and she is all set.

I take my dog on all of my adventures, and never once have thought it would be nice to have her own tent. Seems like needless weight to carry.

If you are dead set on having a seperate shelter area for your dog then I would recommend either making a tarp yourself or buying one. Get a small 6x6 tarp or something like that and tie it up/ stake it out to make a little lean-to style shelter.(if you need the dog confined/tied up then you can tie to a tree that the tarp is tied to) With tarp, a few stakes, and some cord for tie outs your looking at probally 18oz tops and that is for a pu tarp. If you go silnylon or better your looking at probally somewhere in the neighborhood of 10oz or less.

Thats my personal recommendation and opinion, take it for what you will. Hyoh and all that jaz.

6:00 p.m. on January 27, 2011 (EST)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I prefer cuddling with my wife. At 3 pounds, it is light enough for one of my dogs to carry. Also, it is cheap enough to replace every year. Now, how many nights it will hold up is the question.

Wow, your wife is 3 pounds, carried by a dog and you'd replace her...hmmm.....lol joking.

You might just have to try this tent out for yourself. I doubt you'll find someone who has backpacked with it. You could be the first to review.

You could get a nice 2 man tent at 3 pounds that will last way more than a year, carry it yourself and let the dog run, swim and explore without a load on it's back.

Good luck.

7:09 p.m. on January 27, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

Ever been in a store that carrys tents and they have little modelsof the tents on a shelf? They look like pet tents or something my GI Joe would use.

Tent.jpg

10:40 a.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello - I hope that it is permissible for me to reply to this inquiry. I am the owner of Mighty Mite Dog Gear and I discovered this posting when I was checking SEO for our Mighty Mite Dog Gear site.  I fully understand if the admins here feel it necessary to delete this post (I am an admin of a forum too and am aware of the repercussions of allowing companies with commercial sites to post).

- Just wanted to respond to the inquiry regarding our dog tents.  Mighty Mite Dog Gear partnered with Leisurelife, the original manufacturers of Trek Tents to make our tents (Leisurelife/Trek is now owned by MMI-Fed and continues to manufacture our dog tents for us).  The tents are made using pack material for the fabric and fiberglass poles (the same poles used for Trek tents - but of course - miniaturized). We started with the classic Trek SST/ Catoma Fire Fighter's tent, bu then tweaked it and re-tweaked it for use by dogs with the feedback of dog professionals.  Our goal was to make a tent that was lightweight but strong enough to withstand a wired Border Collie about to run an agility course. (the pet/backyard population use was not a primary focus of our design as there are many lower price point products on the market geared to that particular use).  We use heavy weight zippers (not plastic) and top quality nylon pegging points. 

Our tents were recently reviewed by RV.automotive.com  - I hope that this info is helpful for you:

http://rv.automotive.com/147065/1011rv-new-products-new-ideas-fall-2010/photos1-0.html

There are also many reviews of our tents on the internet - here are reviews from "Dog World" and "This Next"

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-magazines/dogworld/dog-world-august-2008-commodities.aspx

http://www.thisnext.com/item/7C054C42/Mighty-Mite-Dog-Tent

We have a sizable following among members of the Canadian Para-olympic team - people who do crew and skiers (two who are visually impaired and use the tents for their seeing eye dogs), so these tents certainly are used outside of the realm of dog shows.  While I am certain that we have had customers who use the tents for camping and packing, I don't know of anyone in particular I could point you to.

You can see other posts and feedback on our tents by our customers on our facebook page here (you will probably need to scroll around a bit as there's many other posts regarding various productions and promotions not related to the tents):

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mighty-Mite-Dog-Gear/153708191606#

Thank you for your interest in our products.

6:35 p.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Thanks for the info about your product. You are allowed to share it on Trailspace since you followed our Community Rules and Guidelines.

While we do not allow commercial posts in the forums or reviews, representatives of companies are allowed to answer direct questions about their products, as long as they are open and honest about their relationship to a product and/or company and keep the answer on-topic.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply