Looking for new down sweater jacket.

3:49 p.m. on February 6, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Hi all,

I have a Marmot Zeus down sweater jacket that I love but am looking for a new one. Noticed that my local Dick's has almost all their Patagucci jackets on sale for 40% off so I was thinking about picking one of those up but EB has their First Ascent down jacket on sale to for a little cheaper. 

Both have similiar specs (800 fill down, packs small, somewhat waterproof etc.), but I've heard things about their down sweaters leaking.

Not trying to spend an arm and a leg for one since this will primarily be a mid layer for me. Basically being used for hiking and some camping.

5:47 p.m. on February 6, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Zeus too warm? I've got the EB FA down vest, and the chambers are about double the thickness, with double the stitching spacing, of the OG Patagonia version. I say OG because Patagucci has expanded their lightweight down line quite a bit as of late...anyways, the OG Patagonia down sweater should be the ticket, if not a Monbell Ex. Light. I've seen the Zeus and held it in REI, and it really is quite similar to the EB FA in terms of fill weight, methinks. My vest leaks down only when I compress it super small, and then really only at seams. Just a few feathers...if anything, removing the ones you can't push back in just increases the fill power of the remaining down. I just don't stuff it tightly anymore, and the problem is solved. At any rate, I have the first year version that went for $40 on clearance a while back; I've heard the new ones leak even less.

Look into Montbell stuff too...their down garments can often be found at discount online...

12:08 a.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I bought one of these Patagonia down sweaters last year. I have not given it as much use as I would have liked but I am very happy with it. It is VERY lightwieght but surprisingly warm. Don't expect it to wear like a regular down coat. Like it says, it's a sweater but with my outer shell over it I've been OK down into the teens. Patagonia seems to have them on sale regulerly and last year I got mine right at $100. As you can see on the link below they are now listed for $140. Look around at web specials on the Patagonia site for some other good deals. Last week they also had there mens limited edition down seater on sale but now I only see the womans, sounds like a heck of a jacket.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-down-sweater-jacket?p=84673-1-624

6:54 a.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I have the vest verstien from Patagonia and am loving it! supper light, pack tiny and really warm, no down is leaking out from it. I also use the old P/O down sweater also from Patagonia, and it's a bit thicker the the current down sweater, and the same deal - it's a joy to wear and use.

If you have a good look in their website, you will see why their gear is a bit more expensive - both shell and lining are made from recycled polyester etc. The nice thing about Pat is that they don't only talk "green", they also act "green". An extra thing to think about when shopping around.

4:05 p.m. on February 7, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

i have a few pieces from first ascent, and met someone out yesterday on a climb who had the down sweater by FA and said he like it. I've been really impressed with First Ascent so far.

12:11 a.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Stoic Luft Down Sweater. Close fit (perfect for a mid layer), Primaloft on the underarms down to the cuffs and side seams (great for moisture mgmt if you're going to use it on hikes), unconditional lifetime warranty, Extended cuffs and dropped rear hem, Pertex shell w/ DWR, 750 fill power down, 3 exterior and 2 interior pockets, all fleece lined. A great jacket overall for the price, and fairly light at 15 ounces total. I got mine cheap on Steap and Cheap for $29 instead of $179.

The new version has a 30d Pertex shell instead of last year's 15D (my version).

9:41 a.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Go with synthetic for a mid layer. You'll get a better moisture management from it while hiking. It's also less hassle to take care of. Some good products to look at:

Mantra jacket from Sherpa adventure gear: primaloft body with merino wool sleeves. 

Zonal jacket from Mountain Hardwear: That's what I use for my principle source of warmth while ice climbing, either at belay or even while climbing, although rarely.

Chaos jacket from Outdoor research: Ultra hot synthetic jacket with a windstopper membrane. It's very water resitant too, and stays warm when wet.

The list could go on and on, but I'll stop there. Both the mantra and Zonal can be easily worn under a shell. You ca see my review on the Zonal if you wish.

10:41 a.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I just picked up an NF shell and a NF Redpoint Primaloft jacket from the classifieds here on TrailSpace. With the jacket zipped into the shell it is quite impressively warm. With a fleece or heavy weight base under that I think I would be comfortable down to at leat 5F, maybe lower, and able to operate reasonably a good bit lower than that.

I still want to get a Good down jacket someday for truly cold condition and for when stationary in camp, etc, and for extending the range of temps I can get my wife to fare.   

3:37 p.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I have a Cloudveil Zero-G with Primaloft One jacket and it is not as warm as my down; although it is close. It is, however, much more waterproof :).

I do agree with Louis-Alexis that in general it is better to use synthetics as a midlayer when active. But if the conditions are severely cold, you are moving slowly with little perspiration, and you run cold anyways (everyone's different), a down sweater can be a Godsend. It also is unbeatable when you reach camp and need a dry, warm layer.

5:09 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I saw this sale and remembered this thread. I thought that someone might be interested. If you look at the one Patagonia down sweater for $79 it is only available in XX but there are others for a couple dollars more.

http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=down+sweater

5:32 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Check out the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Down Sweater (their name). I got mine on sale last summer for $89. plus shipping.

BPL has a good review on it by Will Reitveld but ya gotta be a member to read it. ($25./year)

6:34 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I recently had the same objective ( a fine down sweater, for reasonable $$).  

Upon perusing the offerings at my regional outdoor gear stores, I selected a Patagonia PrimaLoft sweater, a pull-over with a long neck/sternum zipper.    A heck-of-a-deal, at $69.   I am already a 'fan' of PrimaLoft.  Have other gear with it, and it has proven its mettle.   Advertised as "synthetic down", and comes close.   Moisture-management a great factor in my decision.   I would have spent more for a comparable down sweater, but I think I went the right way this time.

Yogi Robt

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply