About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Summer hiking rain protection

5:11 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

Hi all -

So this summer while hiking, I plan on not taking a tent because I have a waterproof/windproof 20 degree bag, which I think will be fine on it's own. My only concern is what to do to protect my face against rain that may be coming down, or how to protect it from bugs if it's a buggy time of year. I'd rather not haul around a bug net or tent for the mentioned protections.

I do have a basic tarp that I could try to rig up for basic protection above my face from rain, but I didn't know if there were any other suggestions or cool gear or gadgets that can do this too. 

I'm big into this type of gear and gadgetry, but it would also provide me the lightest pack weight when going out in the warmer months.

Thanks in advance

5:48 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

How about a head bug net? Is the bag totally waterproof to be comfortable in a downpour if it happens? I have used just a lightweight tarp that is long enough to lay on then when it rains/snows pull it over me. Maybe you could rig up some sort of umbrella over your face?

5:58 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

Gary, it is completely waterproof. I had thought about the head bug net, but after using those all growing up for various activities, I can't help but think they wouldn't be the most comfortable thing to sleep in.

Maybe I could try to modify it somehow to work with my sleeping bag...

6:41 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

i was thinking something like this...and then maybe I can use a tarp over my face if I need to worry about rain

http://www.rei.com/product/777771

6:43 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Figure out a way to cut the handle down or just use a collapsable one and open it and use it at the right time.

6:36 a.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

With that netting plus a small tarp weight would be near the same as a tent.

9:06 a.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

you think so mike? The netting only weighs 16 oz, and I could trim the tarp to be just big enough to fit over the head area of the netting if it would even be needed at all during a trip. I can't imagine that small piece of tarp would be any more than 4 or 5 oz.

I don't have any tents that weight less than 21 oz, and the biggest thing is that I can't afford to buy a new tent or bivy sack just for the summer months.

My winter tent, which has sufficient venting to be used in the summer, weighs almost 8 lbs, so it's not even close.

Do you have any other suggestions for achieving what this "bug bivy" does? I thought about a head bug net, but it would probably touch my face and they could just bite me through it.

11:22 a.m. on February 14, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

bumpity bump bump.

1:34 a.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

the lightest sleep arrangement i have used is a simple army surplus hammock with a tarp over my head, laid over a single line and guyed out at the corners.  either slept in the bag or unzipped it and used it as a quilt, depending o nthe weather.  didn't use bug netting, just put on a little deet.  inelegant but effective. 

3:38 a.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Here's another option to consider. An ID 5X8 Siltarp set up on trekking poles or a ridge line with a Mombasa Outback Travel Net suspended underneath it. The siltarp is about 8 ozs and the travel net is about 11 ozs which you could trim the length to suit your needs and make it even lighter. The siltarp has multiple tie loops to hang the net from. Or make your own tarp out of a piece of plastic if cost is an issue.

Siltarp $60.00 : http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_id_siltarp_5x8.html

Travel net $14.00 : http://www.rei.com/product/729006

Here is my siltarp on trekking poles with my bivy. There is enough room for myself and gear. Good luck with your search.

017_8A.jpg

8:25 a.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I think I understand your needs now. You want something thats 2'x2' With netting hanging down the sides. Like those big netted tarps only smaller.

How are you with a sewing machine?

I think I could make something like that. It would be a small dome tent with mesh walls that you would slide over your head after you are in your sleeping bag. For poles, cheap kite poles could bend like that. Hummm

Is that what you are thinking of?

12:24 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Just an observation:  Are you sure you have a fully waterproof sleeping bag?  Most, if not all so called WP sleeping bags do not have seems that are sealed meaning moisture will get in.

You could create a floorless tarp with hanging bug netting for about a pound here:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/images/stories/pdf/Pattern_NightWing.pdf

4:43 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

mike - pretty much. some netting to stop the buggies, and a tarp directly over head to keep my face dry.

CWF - yes the bag is 100% waterproof and windproof. The only way it hasn't been tested by me for this is by sitting in a full tub while inside the bag, and now that I typed that I'm kind of tempted to see what it's like haha.

mike - i'm not great with a sewing machine although I could find access to one at my mom's. I considered for a while the OR bug bivy, but realized that it has a waterproof bath tub style floor...I see that being an issue if it rains. While I might be dry, I 'd be sitting in a pool of water trapped by the floor.

I'm also considering messing around with a head bug net that has a built in hat or visor. If I can figure out a way to prop that up around my face to keep the bugs from biting me, and maybe put a tarp on it it would be the ultimate of both waterproof/bugproof and light as heck.

it may not be pretty, but i'll let you know what I concoct. 

4:44 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

snowgoose - that's a really cool idea, i may consider that if my other plans of invention don't work out.

5:39 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Well I have a few days with nothing to do...... Think I'll work on this. Ill post a picture.

7:37 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

What bag is this? I am curious to check it out.

10:59 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Just an observation:  Are you sure you have a fully waterproof sleeping bag? 

On this note I would suggest testing under the back yard sprinkler any configuration you divine, before hauling it up into the Tullies.  My experience has taught me the minimalist techniques of this ilk practiced by some mountaineers are far from comfortable, and can see how such often contributed directly to tragedies.

Ed

2:33 p.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

After a day of planing and sewing I made what you need! BUT!!!!

They already make them at a very low price! Minus the netting.

Eureka! I invented the Delta kite! LOL

100_0326.jpg

100_0327.jpg
This is a small 4' wing span Delta. Weight minus netting is 3.4 oz. It fits your needs at a very cheap price. The one I was working on isnt near as nice. LOL

12:57 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

mike -

that's amazing!! Did you make it out of a kite?  It seems like it would be relatively easy to add netting to that.

12:59 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

oops - I didn't see the bottom part of your post...I thought you made that one :-)

thanks, I will look into this and add netting if necessary.

1:17 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

You will be the envy of the trail. With the very first Delta Head Tent! :)

2:14 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Just an observation:  Are you sure you have a fully waterproof sleeping bag? 

On this note I would suggest testing under the back yard sprinkler any configuration you divine, before hauling it up into the Tullies.  My experience has taught me the minimalist techniques of this ilk practiced by some mountaineers are far from comfortable, and can see how such often contributed directly to tragedies.

Ed

There are bags with waterproof shells, but none that I am aware of that have taped seams.

I would love to know what the OP is using.

5:48 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

You had better test any setup with your lawn sprinkler before setting out on a trip.

Personally I feel the cost and weight of a bivy sack and small tarp is worth investing in a tent like TarpTent Sublite Sil instead.

9:45 p.m. on February 26, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

I am using the High Peak Mt Rainier waterproof windproof bag. I have the -20 version and the +20 version.

I have laid in my tub for 10 minutes with the shower head raining down on me, and the tub filled with about 2 inches of water because it couldn't drain fast enough, and other than a couple of drops (literally just a few drops) coming in by the zipper, it was 100% dry inside.

Even then, I suspect part of the reason the water came in there was because I actually turned the zipper up towards the water so the water was hitting it directly, and that was when water seeped in. If the zipper was on the side where it should be while laying in a bag, the water just sloughed off the side of the bag and didn't come inside.

5:13 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

ICLIMB what are you going with for your summer hike now after your experiment? I am kind of interested if your idea has expanded or your just going to a simplier idea?

8:07 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

i'm still working on it denis.

I am trying to go as simple as possible. I am in the process of trying to develop a bug proof/rain proof contraption that will fit over just my face, since the sleeping bag is waterproof. My goal is to take a bug head net, and fit it with a small 2 square foot piece of tarp, and rig a pole system, so it can literally prop up just over my head with the tarp being able to move around in case the rain is angled.

I haven't had a ton of free time lately - I've experienced 2 deaths in the family in the last 2 weeks, as well as trying to help another relative through a bad break up from her fiance.

I'll get on it stat though.

8:40 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

I have to say Iclimb this is one of the most enjoyable threads..You have Mike sewing and showing his talents. You and others thinking out of the ordinary..testing your bag in the tub. Your bringing back memories for me. While I was in school.. This is awesome.  . Snowgoose showing his set up with a tarp and Mountain hardwear alpinebivy...Sorry about the family matters you have had to attend to..But this is a great thread...

5:40 a.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I love trying to make things when i'm not on the trail. I buy used  (dead) gear from secondhand stores. This season I have been working on a very small cooking shelter. I have a Kelty noah 9 tarp but it is just too large for what i realy want. I recently picked up a disgarded large rainfly in VG condition. But it was from a Hex shaped tent. I did some work on it and got it to be a free standing 2 person tarp tent. The only problem is that the fiberglss poles weigh as much as a couple of my tents. but i think with a cut here and a tuk there i could get this thing to weigh in at around 2 lbs, Might be good for a beach shelter. I have some auminum poles but I think I'll wait before I cut them to size.

I still have a month of rainy season here. So I will keep trying to build that cook shelter. After that its clear skys, and dry camping.

iClimb I hope that the famliy problems end soon for you and the family.

5:51 a.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I will keep an eye out for a all blue Delta. I would be happy to cut it down, sew on some netting and stake loops. I think I could get it down to 3 oz, and send it to you.

12:28 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

I have laid in my tub for 10 minutes with the shower head raining down on me, and the tub filled with about 2 inches of water because it couldn't drain fast enough, and other than a couple of drops (literally just a few drops) coming in by the zipper, it was 100% dry inside.

The problem is a sleeping bag is subjected to a lot of tugging.  Anyone who has used goretex parkas while shouldering a pack will tell you the waterproofing eventually fails at the seams, and sometimes the membrane rips due to this kind of abuse.  You won’t know you have a problem until it is too late.  I’m just saying…

Ed

2:23 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Man, Ed, you're such a *wet blanket*     

;)

4:33 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

Ed - luckily this will be for *summer* use - if the bag doesn't hold out to an all out down pour, I'll survive in the warmer months and learn a good lesson in the process. Not to mention if I had to I'm confident enough in my ability to build a shelter and a fire to survive if for some reason the temps dropped.

3:43 a.m. on March 1, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

I'm a little curious about how you plan to stay dry and keep water out of your bag when entering and exiting. With something just big enough to keep water off of your face, I envision you and the inside of your bag getting quite wet when it is open. How do you plan to keep your gear dry (pack, boots, etc...) or do they and you just get wet?

I used to live on the Gulf Coast where rain is measured in inches per hour, so maybe I am overly sensitive. Are the conditions you expect to encounter intermittent, light, heavy, or biblical rain showers?

2:21 p.m. on March 1, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

snowgoose I hadn't thought of getting in and out. More ingenuity needed.

3:14 p.m. on March 1, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Might want a tarp. The Kelty Noah 9 is nice, and light. Very good reviews.

4:11 p.m. on March 1, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

Now I for one am curious about the name, make, and materials of the sleeping bag? Down or synthetic (or one of those King Tut foam bags)? "Breathable"? How much does it weigh? What about condensation? Even good breathable fabrics will sweat up in the right conditions. (Possible solution -- sleep wearing rain gear inside the bag. Ugh.) 

8:48 p.m. on March 1, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

Red - I mentioned the bag above, and I believe the website for the brand has loads of info about all that - I'm not sure of specifics myself.

10:29 a.m. on March 2, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Iclimb are you looking for something like this?
Bivy-bag-001.jpg
I have a special Grad student offer you may not want to refuse!

The price of 2 Mcdonalds Meal deals.$ 10.00 gets you a bug screened Gortex bivy bag. I just had a friend drop a Tarptent in my direction that weighs 1.7 pds. This was my emergency shelter for hikes. I am offering it you because I know your married and a student and will use it...

Made by mountain hardwear never used...6x30.

But i would like you to continue in thinking outside the box.it's a cool thread...

4:35 p.m. on March 2, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

denis that's incredible!! How generous! feel free to email me so we can discuss more details about the bag and how I can pay you.  rcharity_psych@yahoo.com

7:35 p.m. on March 2, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Iclimb this Bivy wieghs about a pound..I sent you an email.I told Gonzan about a month ago after buying gear for my thruhike and researching. It was time to Donate and clean the quest closet out of gear I will not be useing.

9:54 p.m. on March 2, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Wow Denis!!

That was so cool of you to do. :D

10:07 p.m. on March 2, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Mike Iam not useing it. He will and his post about community made me think...

3:11 a.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Denis, that is a really great thing to offer your bivy to iclimb. But whether it is a water-proof sleeping bag or a bivy, you are still going to get wet when you get in and out without something over your head.

My unishelter is completely weather-proof when zipped up tight, but I carry the siltarp to keep things dry when it is opened up. It is also nice to be able to sit under it and comfortably watch the world go by as it rains or snows. I've seen a lot of wildlife that way.

You can make a pretty good, cheap tarp out of a plastic painter's drop cloth and some nylon string. Don't get the really thin plastic, go all out and spend your money on the thicker version. Fold the corner of the plastic over a small rock, roll it up a bit and then tie the string up against it. Make the lines as long as you think you will need them. This should last for a season if you aren't too rough with it.

1:28 p.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Snowgoose I think he said he has a plastic tarp. Like your describeing and he could rig it like your saying unless it has grommets on it. I would take your suggestion of a ground cloth as well. Some tyvec or 2 mil plastic drop cloth from wally world would cover that..But I would like to see the end product photo when he test's it...

@ICLIMB- Bivy is in the Mail..Their saying Sat delivery but were talking about USPS give it till Monday.LOL

2:19 p.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

You da man Den!!

4:56 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

denis - received the bivy today! Thanks! Hopefully in a couple short months from now when it starts to warm up I can give it a try! 

10:33 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Glad you got it Iclimb!  Hope you have a great summer in the Whites hiking..

1:30 p.m. on March 13, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

I just thought everyone should know what a generous person Denis is - he is refusing to let me pay for the bivy.

He did this not intending to get recognition, but I think with such an amazing display of community and generosity, he deserves some.

Thanks Denis, you are the MAN!

3:53 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Have a MSR Hubba HP that weighs 2lbs 10oz so not bad at all.If I want to go lighter I take just the fly,poles and foot print.This is about 1lb 8oz without netting.If needed I have a bug net that weighs about 2 oz that works well over my head area.All in all the whole tent is lite enough to just take the whole thing and camp anywhere I chose rather than a protected spot.There are spo many lite choices on the market any more that,for me,a bivy sack just doesnt cut it,used many when was climbing a lot.What ever you chose just enjoy the trip.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply