Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane

10:23 a.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have an older Dana pack, size large.  I am not sure how many liters it is.  It is a size large.  Does anyone know how many liters this pack is?  Thanks!

1:17 a.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

check one of their old catalogs.  it is probably roughly 95 liters.  http://danadesign.com/dana_catalog.pdf

12:29 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Enough to probably Bivy in.... ; )

9:53 a.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Along similar lines, I have had an older Terraplane (ca. 2000?).  I bought it as a demo or display pack brand new, but never bothered to figure out all the straps...  Anyone know where I can find an "owner's manual"?  Nothing on Marmot website, and their customer service couldn't help either.  I've searched the web to no avail.  Next step might be to call Dana himself at Mystery Ranch...  Thanks for your help!

12:20 a.m. on February 19, 2011 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Well, my large Terraplane (also an original Dana) is 8,500 cu. in W/ the top spindrift skirt all the way up.

That Terraplane is a HEAVY pack and it's now only used in winter, when I really need that much space.

8:27 a.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

ArcFlex and ArcLight pack manuals are available as PDF files from here:

"http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20020204012553/http://www.danadesign.com/packs/tips_m.htm"

10:22 p.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

The pack on my back in my avatar is a Terraplane. My recollection is that it is 100 to 110 liters with the collar up, and including the side pockets and top (which has 2 pockets). I had intended to take the Osprey Argon down to Antarctica in December (85 liters), but it was significantly too small, where my Terraplane, which is what I took, had spare room left over.

Yes, heavy (8.5 pounds), but it has served well on multiple trips to the Alaska Range, Antarctica (twice), backcountry ski trips, and many week to month-long climbing treks in the US, Canada, and elsewhere.

10:46 p.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I had a Bozeman-made Terraplane Overkill, bought in '93 and stolen from my home in a burglary just before Christmas, 1999 and I have had and do have a whack of Dana Gleason's packs since 1978. I consider these the finest production packs made anytime, anywhere and I would not consider buying any other pack, except one of Dan McHale's fabulous custom creations.

They ARE "heavy", but, one can actually carry a serious load in them and all day in rugged country without a problem; the design and quality are such that my oldest one, from '78 is still in good shape and will probably outlast me!

2:55 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Along similar lines, I have had an older Terraplane (ca. 2000?).  I bought it as a demo or display pack brand new, but never bothered to figure out all the straps...  Anyone know where I can find an "owner's manual"?  Nothing on Marmot website, and their customer service couldn't help either.  I've searched the web to no avail.  Next step might be to call Dana himself at Mystery Ranch...  Thanks for your help!

... Might be why it's the "Mystery Ranch".    IF you find the "Mystery Ranch", all the secrets of Dana's packs will unfold for you.   Only problem is, you have to find your way out.   Kinda like the "Hotel California" (Eagles tune).

2:26 a.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

From a Dana Design 1995 catalog, a MEDIUM Terraplane is 5800 cubic inches (95 liters). They don't give the specs for a LARGE, and it doesn't give the specs for the skirt extension, either. My guess is that the LARGE has around 400 cubic inches more space.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply