Boots

12:16 p.m. on February 14, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I need a new pair of hiking boots. I'm not a gear freak so I prefer one pair of boots to do everything. I prefer full leather, norwegian welt (I'm a bit old school). I was thinking about getting the Chippewa 8" Briar (model 25950). My concern is that the insulation (400 gram thinsulate ultra) will make my feet hot during the summers, or during any season in which I'm moving a lot.

Does anyone have suggestions/experience with this amount of insulation in an all around hiking boot? Too much insulation? Just right? I roam around mostly in the Rockies, some trips to the Sierras, occasionally back east.

7:54 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I am in the northeast, and would think 400g thinsulate for year round use is extreme and will result it hot sweaty feet in my experience. I use 200g thinsulate boots for the dead of winter and I am more than comfy with a nice thick wool sock.

I have the Zamberlan 308 Trekkers, its a full leather boot with a few hybrid features. I love em, i suggest giving the brand a look at least, they have lots of full leather options. Superb quality imo.

10:49 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

I find insulated boots too warm for summer use.  As important as foot comfort is to any hiking trip it behooves you to own boots specific to your intended purpose.  Thus I own a pair of warm season boots as well as a pair of cold season double boots.  I find the Vasque and Asolo brands to be most comfortable and well constructed.  I used to be a old school leather and Norweigon welt high top boot guy, but find today's lighter designs offer  performance equal to any boot I have worn over the last forty plus years.  In any case a good boot will cost $$, and given the influence they have on your enjoyment, cost should be a incidental consideration.

Ed

6:57 p.m. on February 22, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,242 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

I bought the Danner Mountain Light II.  I have found them to be a good boot--I have many of the same req's of leather, welt stitching, etc, that you have. It has the gortex liner, which doesn't bother me. I use a pretty heavy orthotic, and the boot puts it to use really well. I can wear my boots all day, and not have them bug me.

I live a couple of hours from Portland, so I went and bought factory seconds, which saved me a ton of money.  I have spent several hundred dollars on boots, and these are hands down the best boot I have found for me.

11:08 p.m. on February 22, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

i would stay away from insulated boots for the summer.  too warm.

Limmer boot lightweights.  a nice combination of old-school design and modern materials.  whatever price premium you pay will more than balance out, because the boot will probably last longer and feel better than the other options.  that's how it has worked for me, anyway. 

if you want a more modern design, their ultralights look interesting.  i haven't tried them. 

3:43 p.m. on March 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I found a great pair of Limmer Standards at my nearby L.L. Bean outlet store.

They were mediums, and I usually take a wide.   But, the price was unbelievable (they were returns), so I got 'em.

Could not get to a comfort-level with them, upon a modest time trying.  So, I eBay'd them.

Wish they worked for me.

Now, I want a pair in the proper size.   I deserve the best !

r2

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply