Jackets - Mountain Hardware Exposure II and Arcteryx Stingray

3:39 p.m. on February 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Twice a year the local outdoor outfitter has there bi-annual clearance sale with some of the best pricing around.  This years left me in a bit of a pickle.

Last year I purchased a Mountain Hardware Exposure II Parka for $75...I still cannot find it at this price anywhere.  Wore it once this winter and it worked out ok when shooting pictures of eagles on the mississippi river.  Was a bit chilli with a sweatshirt and the Northface Denalli Jacket I bought at the same sale but I had a plan.  I'll buy a down jacket at this years sale.  

There were no down jackets in my size.  My eye did spy several Arcteryx Stingray jackets though for the bargain basement price of $175.  Quickly checking prices online this year with my handy dandy new  smart phone google jacked me and showed several on ebay going for $500.  So I bought two with the intention of dropping them on there to fund a down jacket and maybe make a few bucks.  Got home and did a bit more checking and well...I can still make a something but they can be had for closer to $275-300. 

So where was I going with all of this?  

A: I intend on going to Yellowstone in the winter, alaska sometime in the fall maybe the following year as some other occasional winter trips to NY to see the folks as well as other colder places.  Orlando's been chily but haven't had the need to use anything more then the fleece.  Should I put the Mountain Hardware jacket on Ebay with one of the Arcteryx jackets...or should I sell both.  They both fit about the same but Material-wise I can see the mountain hardware jacket being more windproof.  The arcteryx jacket is gortex though and may be pretty windproof as well.  It's more of a softshell.  Usually say big deal, it's just a brand but I must say this Arcteryx jacket is really nice.  Zippers are all water tight and everything.   

B: If you're in the area check out that sale which goes through tomorrow 2/27.   Travel Country in Central Florida

Either way will fund some sort of a down jacket, just a question of how much cash I have at the end and how well eveything holds up.

Thanks,

Matt

3:12 p.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

I have a larger than life (mine I'm L its XL) MH Exposure II that I wear for mainly over 10,000' and winter activities.  My down fits under it fine for most (albeit compressed in places) activity. The down stays dry skiing and other winter activities.  Certainly my Monkey Man fleece fits nicely and warmly with base and next to base under it when it gets brisk out.  The EII is my goto hard use jacket for anything wet, nasty or cold.

3:13 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I'm a bit lost. You need help with what? What to buy?, What to keep? All depending where your going is that it?

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply