About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

60-70 Liter Packs with hydration resevior

12:57 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Hello all,

I'm looking into buying a new pack. I've been really being a minimalist with my Northface Terra 30!!!  I've used it on 3 night trips, when there was a seperate kitchen pack, but I would always have to leave out things I would have liked to take.

Do you think a  60-70 is a more appropriate size for a 3-4 night trip? If so, please recommend a pack that does have a hydration sleeve. I'm going cross-eyed reading up on them all...

Thanks

Josh

1:14 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I've got an Osprey Aether 70 that has always treated me right. It can fit a 2 liter hydration bladder no problem, I've even been able to fit a 3 liter in there (though it says it fits a 2 IIRC).

1:57 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

thanks DaveR, I'll check that out for sure

3:38 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Here is are some suggestions I sent to a friend a few weeks ago that might fit what you are looking for. He was looking for something in the $100-200 range, with ample room for a week long trip, and plenty of pockets and organization features. This is just directly coppied and pasted from the email I sent him...

Good Luck!

>Kelty - Coyote (4750 cu in) $75-$170 - Campmore and SunnySports both have them for $75 right now which is a STEAL!

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/coyote-4750/?gender=mens

>Alps Mountaineering - Denali (5500 cu in) $115 - A very good bag for a good price

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Denali-Internal-Backpack-Olive/dp/B001LF3GFY

>Alps Mountaineering - Cascade (5200 cu in) $115 to $140 - IF the Kelty Coyote isn't on sale anymore, I would go with the Alps Cascade 5200.

>Lowe Alpine - Appalachian TFX (65+15L / 4900cu in) $200 - Probably the highest quality bag on this list, but also the most expensive, and maybe not featured the exactly for what you prefer

http://www.campmor.com/lowe-alpine-tfx-appalachian-65-85-internal-frame-pack.shtml?source=CI&srccode=cii_65264419&cpncode=25-25897463-2

>High Sierra - Appalachian 75 (75L / 4600cu in) $110 [this is the pack I have, and I am satisfied with it, though I am sure I will get a higher quality one someday]

http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Appalachian-Tungsten-Amazon/dp/B000OZAKPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1297971438&sr=8-1

3:51 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Wow Gonzan to the rescue!!! thats why I like his post's it's about the little details..

4:30 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

I just got a GoLite Quest, haven't used it so I'm not ready to review, but there are many good (and a few bad) reviews here and elsewhere. It's a pretty basic top loader (I don't trust zippers), fairly light, ca. 72 L. with hydration sleeve, so it fits your criteria. I got it for about $160 at Backcountry.com with a gift certificate (from the photo contest -- thanks Alicia!), might have gotten a better price elsewhere and I've heard that GoLite is having a sale now.

4:57 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Oh, one more detail- most larger packs that are hydration resevior compatible do not include that resevior, which means another $30. If they do include the resevior, that extra change is gonna be included in the total MSRP.

Denis, haha, Thanks :)

5:17 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Thanks Gonzan, Big Red.  the company i work at just started to do business with Go-Lite so I'm of course hounding them for free goodies haha.

I do have the camelback resevior already...although after reading a thread yesterday and doing some inspecting, it either needs to be cleaned or I need a new hose.

How's the high sierra holding up Gonzan?

On the Low Alpine you have 65L + 15L. I've seen that hear and there. Can you please explain the +15 part of that?

sunnysports and campmor are my favorite man!! well steepandcheap too If i happen to be looking for what their selling that moment.

thanks again

12:17 a.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

The High Sierra is doing pretty well, the only thing that has failed was an elastic loop on the shoulder strap that holds the reservoir drinking tube. No biggie and easily fixed.

The 65 is the volume of the main compartment, and the +15 refers to the extra capacity of the hood compartment (and possible the other external pockets.

9:04 a.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,249 forum posts

worth looking at the REI flash 65.  runs around 3 pounds, has a hydration pouch & ports on both sides.  Backpacker Editor's Choice 2009.  about $170, but they have 20% off coupons and sales frequently.  i used a Flash 50 heavily for about a year.  It carried and held up quite nicely.  A lot of useful features, too.  large 'shove it' pocket on the exterior for rain gear, compression straps that work, small mesh pocket built into the hip belt, for example.  

11:09 a.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Thanks Gonzan for the explanation on that...and glad the HS is doing well. My buddy just bought one too, but has yet to use it.

I'll check that pack out too Leadbelly. thanks.  man it is hard to decide. sooo many creat packs out there.

I'm liking the Northface Crestone 60 a lot too

11:35 a.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

ah, another thing that makes my situation a slightly different with pack selection. 

I will likely have 2 rolled sleeping pads. 1 for me. 1 for my spoiled dog.

My kelty trail dome4 should fit inside a 60 liter right? I'm but i'll need some sort of extra strapping for the 2 pads...*scratches head*

9:31 p.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

I use a Camelbak StoAway. It works independently so you can use it in any pack whether it's hydration compatible or not.

Get your dog to carry his own gear, he looks like he could haul a decent load.

10:06 a.m. on March 11, 2011 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

I'll look into the stoaway..thanks Paully.

Oh he will be. He's got a Ruffwear Palisades pack with 2 hydration reseviors of its own. He'll be lugging his food, water, and some treats, but I didn't want to strap anything to the outside of his pack, but we'll see.

Just ended up buying a Northface Crestone 75. thanks for the help and suggestions all!

5:56 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

>Alps Mountaineering - Denali (5500 cu in) $115 - A very good bag for a good price

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Denali-Internal-Backpack-Olive/dp/B001LF3GFY

I bought the Denali and almost immediately after loading it up, one of the stays were badly bent by the weight of my gear (under 40 lbs, which a 90 liter pack should easily handle). I would strongly recommend against the Denali and I am usually a fan of ALPS.

That said, the Cascade is a fine pack. I bought one from my brother and he hasn't had any problems with it.

4:01 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Gearzoneproducts.com sell camelbaks with military specs that range from day packs to 3-4 day packs. I just bought a one day pack Camelbak transformer and paid $105 that normally costs $162. The same kind of savings are seen for their larger packs too. Camelbak has 3.1L bladders! and our troops report that they can withstand a lot of wear and tear.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply