Old Backpacking catalogs

8:18 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Over the years I requested catalogs and tossed them into boxes after I looked at them. I finally got them out of storage and started to photograph the covers. 2 of 6 boxes are now on my Picasa web album. Several folks from here wanted to be informed when I would post them so here is the start of the catalogs-

https://picasaweb.google.com/mshampton2/CampingCatalogs#

Not sure which forum catagory this fits into, so moderator move as needed

1:15 a.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Are they for sale? Is there an E-mail I may contact you?

Thanks.

12:23 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Thanks for the photos.  Looking at them brought back memories.

I ditched all my old ones except for Stephenson Warmlight.  They stood out as different from the others.

6:51 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,017 forum posts

Those are very neat. Thanks for sharing them.

I'll add to anyone else reading this, don't ditch the old outdoor catalogues. If you're done with them someone else (like me) may want them. I eventually want to have an online gear library on Trailspace, including gear catalogues to view.

So, I'd rather have them then see them end up in the recycling bin.

9:50 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Greetings Alicia and apex7, @ Alicia. An issue about scanning images came up in one of my other hobbies with a catalog collection I sold and that is the issue of copyrighted material being scanned and released on the web without consent. Have you heard anything about this issue? @ apex7. The collection is not for sale and I'm not able to make scans of any specific catalogs as they are back in storage. More images will be loaded as time permits. Mshampton2atgeemaildotcom

10:06 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,017 forum posts

@ Alicia. An issue about scanning images came up in one of my other hobbies with a catalog collection I sold and that is the issue of copyrighted material being scanned and released on the web without consent. Have you heard anything about this issue?

Yes, you're right that to publish the info on the web or anywhere else you would need consent from whomever holds the copyright, such as the brand. Thanks for raising that point. It's really important.

FYI, Fair Use allows you to reprint snippets of content, but not images. So, for example, in a review you could quote from a catalog or book with attribution, but you can't reprint large portions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Respecting copyrights is really important. It's frustrating to see one's work stolen and republished elsewhere.

5:10 a.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

very cool! thanks for sharing them.

9:27 a.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Scott, your catalog collection is simply amazing, thanks for the images.

11:28 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

that's great stuff.  thanks for sharing.

copyright protection for anything published after 1977 is lengthy (life of the author plus 70 years; 95-120 years for 'works for hire,' which probably includes many catalogues), so it's worth thinking about and respecting those rights.  

on my bookshelf: "Backpacking Equipment Buyer's Guide," published by Backpacker Magazine, 1978.  my dad used it as a guide when we started gearing up for overnights in the white mountains.  i was twelve.  a fascinating relic, like hiking into a time warp.  internal frame packs and aluminum-frame snowshoes were small but growing niche products; virtually all the backpacks reviewed were external frames, and snowshoes were wood.  long explanations of sleeping bag baffles, tent construction, and the fine distinctions between norwegian, goodyear, and littleway welts (leather boots were king in 1978).  polartec, plastic mountaineering boots, GPS units, merino wool socks....didn't exist.  gore tex was brand spanking new.  

9:08 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Added a few more photos of the catalogs-Moss,MSR, Marmot, Western Mountaineering

http://picasaweb.google.com/mshampton2

10:51 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Keep them coming, great stuff.  Thanks.

9:16 p.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I have the first two years of Backkpacker Magazine!!

7:03 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Greetings,

In between projects so I edited and added a few more catalog covers.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mshampton2/CampingCatalogs

Scott

8:36 p.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"Backpacker" magazine certainly has devolved, hasn't it ?

~r2~

9:52 a.m. on July 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

What year is the bottom Class 5 catalog?  I have the top two,  but have not seen the bottom catalog.

6:38 p.m. on July 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Alan the Class 5 catalogs are from 1976 #3, 1978 #5, 1979 #6 but I don't know which is #5 or #6. In storage so I can't tell the #'s

How many did they make?

8:43 p.m. on July 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The Class 5 catalogs are a real mystery.  I think the bottom catalog is number 6, but that's just a guess.  I have the second, third and fifth catalogs.  I really wish I had the first and last catalogs.  At the end of their run Class 5 started making some really interesting clothing such as jackets insulated with quilted wool.  I have no idea if the idea had merit, but it was unique.

9:46 p.m. on July 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

i have seen some of the quilted wool stuff mentioned in older backpacker mags, but have never seen any of the real goods. speaking of going out of business, do you know when george lamb sold camp 7?

12:38 a.m. on July 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I don't know when Lamb sold CAmp 7, they were around sometime into the 1980's and may have been attempted to have been revived once or twice.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply