About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

The JakPak

3:47 p.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I was looking for an all-in-one rainproof jacket/sleeping bag/tent solution and I stumbled across the JakPak!

http://jakpak.com/home.aspx

It seems like the perfect fit! I may be ordering one soon.

But in all seriousness, this thing is hilarious. :P

3:50 p.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I guess this has been covered on Trailspace before, so you guys have likely seen it, but I thought it was fun enough that I would share (forgot to search first, doh!).

4:15 p.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Thanks for the laugh. I have had a looooong week.

5:12 p.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Michelle, get back in the bag. I'm not even gonna comment... All I can say is wow. She looks like a pickle.

8:04 p.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

You beat me to it! I was just about to post when I found this thread! LOL!

11:59 p.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

12:02 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

How about look at a review (from today) about JakPak. Take a look at a true outdoorsman using it, www.mikesroadtrip.com/JakPak

5:48 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Mike’s Road Trip chronicles the journey of a man who loses his house, sells everything and embarks on an adventure that will test his marketing abilities.  Along the way he will provide promotional and product placement for sponsored considerations as well as lodging and restaurant reviews for food and shelter.  Follow his daily account to see if he can successfully negotiate the exposure benefits, in exchange for his daily needs.  Will he be staying in a 5 star hotel, or will it be the back of his Ford pickup?  Live vicariously...

Mike now has a third option: staying in his JakPak.

I often go camping with my pet ferret. I wonder if the JakPak will be suitable for us both?

9:03 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Combine this with a Selk Bag for 4 season use. I love the possibility of using this in a desert and waking up with a scorpion or snake in the shelter area because they found warmth under the tent portion of this thing. Ya may as well put a vacancy sign up where ya lay because there is no way to secure the mesh from what I saw in the video. All they have to do is climb on in. I will stick with the protection of my tent.

10:36 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Also I was curious as to what would happen if a gust of wind came into the tent area of this system. I have a feeling the results would not be "positive." I understand the direction of where this is going but there are bivy sacks out there that to me seem way more secure/durable. Plus you have choices as to what material ya prefer(event, gore-tex, etc.) At the same time I am not condemning this piece of gear. But I am a lil apprehensive to its function in harsher environments as opposed to boyscout camps. I guess the only way to find out is to test it. I am getting ready to do a 70 mile run on the LHHT in the next month or so. A trip such as this would be a great way to put it through its paces.

10:46 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Michelle, sorry about poking a jab at the whole pickle thing. I just couldn't resist. I am an extremely "humorous" individual to say the least. As far as the review from "Mike" goes, one review does nothing for me. He is sleeping in the back of his truck. The bed rails of a truck bed provide a substantial amount of protection from wind. So to me this review has me questioning alot. Just what I got out of the snippet above.

10:48 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

In a windy situation, there are grommets on the tent portion for staking. The velcro strap also aids in stability. Has anyone actually seen one or used one first hand?

10:51 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Go to our website to read many reviews, or just google us to read from Fast Company, Gear Junkie, Dan Nelson, uncrate.com, Daily Mail, LA Times, the Consumerist, Gear Patrol ... I could go on and on.

10:55 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

This is probably one of the most thorough.

http://www.2centtac.com/?p=142

10:58 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I definitely will. I personally am not really into the whole look thing as my main concern is function. I have alot of gear that I think is funky looking but it just works. I may have a spot in my arsenal for this item. I will definitely take a look. With the addition of a liner like the material used in space blankets this could be a great item to use in a survival situation as well.

11:00 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have never seen one. This is my 1st time even knowing it existed.

11:07 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I would have sent you one but you called me a pickle.

11:30 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol. No harm. If ya took it offensively I am sorry. I meant no harm. I checked the link. My biggest issue seemed to be confirmed with the accessibility with the no-see-um mesh. The lil guys can get in. A suggestion that quickly came to mind would be to implement a foldable velco type flap around the mid drift area of the jacket. Open the flap and velcro the no-see-um to the body of the upper(jacket.) This would eliminate intruders getting into the area of exposure(face) and at the same time would not add a substantial amount of weight to the product. Or the same idea could be implemented and you could cut down on the amount of mesh. The amount used seems a little over-kill to me being that the primary function is to keep ones face protected with the amount of excess material.

11:34 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I know there is absolutely no product out there that is perfect and R&D is a never ending process.

11:40 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Terriffic ideas! And regarding the pickle, I have been called much worse!!! Yes, it's a never ending process of improving. P.s. The lining is currently in the works, the sample fabric arrived yesterday!

11:53 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

With the lining is it going to be a permanent type lining or is it something that would be removable? The reason I ask is if it is removable this would make the product alot more user friendly as far as the versatility aspect goes. The ability to customize it to the climate would be a great benefit. I am out year round. I hunt, snowboard, kayak, backpack, and the list goes on. Versatility of a product is a big selling point for me. Especially with the way the economy is. One that does it all for me is alot better than having to purchase multiple models of a product. For alot of people the resources are just not there to go this route. Just a thought.

12:59 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

yes, I agree the lining has to be removable. Also, it would be sold as an "accessory" only for people who need it, rather than adding to the cost when not everyone would use it.

1:39 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well, I've been an outdoorsman all my life(hiking, backpacking, kayaking, hunting, etc.) Not to mention I was in the military. I can see alot of ways that the JakPak could be used. I am growing quite warm to it actually. Its just really hard to give a thorough assessment of anything without actually seeing it first hand. Wish I could go to my local REI, EMS, Cabelas, or Gander Mountain and take a look at it. I read the comments about the exposed hands after a little research. Another light bulb flickered in my head. How about an extension for the sleeves that is actually built into the sleeves? Maybe a velcro type closure to seal it up?

1:46 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Cheers to innovation, Michelle! Keep up the good work. I wish you folks the best in your endeavors to provide a versatile outdoor system. 

2:13 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I like this concept and company :

ttp://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-28/travel/19913626_1_mittens-outdoor-concert-sleeves

what do you think?

Cabela's in Canada has just accepted us as a vendor and love our product -

hopefully you will see it in a store near you!

2:20 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That's basically what I was thinking but made from the same dwr material as the system. Maybe with a way to close it up to keep water from making its way up the sleeves.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply