tent occupancy ratings

9:26 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Maybe I'm missing something but when going through the gear reviews for tents I can't seem to find a place to simplify my search by occupancy ratings. Currently I am looking for a solid 3 season solo and thought it would be alot simpler to just click "solo" so I didn't have to look at every 3 season tent that is on the market past or present. Maybe this could go where it says refine by gender on the review page. Only tents I ever knew to be gender specific were the Hide & Sleep kids bed tents from back in the day. :)

On a side note- If anyone has any suggestions as far as a good 3 season solo that can swallow me as well as an Osprey Aether 70, and boots let me know I am open to suggestions. I have a 2P and a 3P. I want to slim things down for an upcoming solo hike(70 mile.) Thanks.

10:56 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I opt for a small two person tent If I intend to store my pack, boots, kit and caboodle in it.  I define a small two person tent as anything with an interior area less than 35 sq ft.  The MSR hubba hubba is a good choice for this purpose at a little over 4 pounds.  I prefer not placing my pack or boots in the tent, however; instead, leaving the boots in the vestibule, and the pack outside, protected by a trash can liner bag.  Then I can use the MSR hubba, which is plenty of room for a single, has a dry entry vestibule, and is quite light.

Ed

11:07 p.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I planned on keeping my gear in the vestibule. So that is definitely something I should of noted. I had a Hille Akto but it was stolen. My home was broken into. Long story. I was opting on getting another but I found it to be quite stuffy in warmer climates so I want to weigh my options. The Hubba is a nice tent. I have a 2P tent. Its just more than I want to carry for a solo plus I want to bring some camera gear. I do like the weight of the hubba though. I've actually been looking at bivys/bivies(however ya spell it lol) as well.

1:27 a.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

What about a Used Tarptent Contrail? Or Virga both single wall about 2 pds? Not a 3 season but used about $140-160..Less than 4 pds and can be used till mid fall..Drops that pack weight..I saw a few listed this week as well as some 6 moon designs solo's...

6:59 a.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Have you ever used a bivy? I recently picked up a Gander Mountain Blaze Solo. It just has room to sit up. This is as small as I can go. Just a little bigger than a bivy. Take a look at the Gilert Solo, or Coleman Kraz X1. The Gilert is inexpencive and gets great reviews. I think I saw it on a Youtube.

I 'm using a TNF Canyonlands.

Denis mentioned a tarp tent. How about just a tarp? The Kelty Noah 9 is what I carry. Packs very small and weighs in at 2 Lbs. $59 and has great reviews too.

1:42 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I like my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1.  I keep my pack inside the tent with me (prop my feet up on it at night) and my boots in the vestibule. I have on occasion kept my pack in the vestibule, but you have to move it out of the way to open the fly, then literally pick it up to get out of the tent. The tent weighs 2lb 6oz and is very sturdy. I have used it down to 17 degrees with light snow, no problems. Also, I find it keeps the temp inside a bit warmere than the outside.

2:02 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,244 forum posts

The Golite Shangr-la 3 tent is light, it has plenty of head room, is considered a 3 person tent tho with the single center pole its really a two person one,. It comes in two main parts the rainfly and the bugnetting/floor section. And if you use hiking poles one can be substituted for the collapsable pole to save 4 oz. Or one can use a built-in loop on the top to suspend from a tree limb.

Its listed as being

2 lbs. 14 oz. | 1.30 kg

Shangri-la-5.jpg
This is it in Bamboo color, shown with inner netting section. The dark grey are on the top is a vent, there is another on the other side.

Shangri-la-5-green.jpg

And in forest green

I used one of these for 12 years. Its very good in the wind, sheds rain and snow well. The inner bugnetting section can be used alone when its not going to rain. I usedmine bicycling across Alaska.

Shangri-la-bug-netting-inner-tent.jpg
For the price its a good light tent. And the two section fold into 2 small bags.

3:46 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am thoroughly looking into all of the models listed above. I am also looking at the BA Copper Spur UL1. A bit pricey for a 3 season but as I have learned from prior experiences ya get what ya pay for. I am not in an immediate rush. I am about 30 days or so from making my little journey so I am gonna take my time with this one. Thanks for all the suggestions. They all seem like really solid options. If ya have any more suggestions please feel free to throw em out there.

....another big thing with me is customer service. Has anyone had any dealings with a company that stands out? There are a few companies out there that I have seen from the posts on here that are less than desirable when it comes to this aspect of their business practices. Thanks again.

4:46 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have had dealings with Coghlan's, TNF, and NorthPole. Two lower, end one upper end. They all treated me very well. I have had good luck finding inexpencive gear. One just has to do some research. And understand what people are saying. Sometimes it is operator head space that makes something bad and fail.

4:48 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I hear ya on that one Mike.

5:03 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts
5:38 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I've used the Golite Shangri-La 2 and it is cavernous. You would do just fine with a Shangri-La 1 (1lb 4 oz w/ stakes and stuff sack) which is 8 oz lighter than the 2. Get the bathtub-floored no-see um nest (1lb) or the bathtub floor only (8 oz) depending on your needs. Both are Water-proof floors. Worst case scenario is a total weight of 2 lb 4 oz, it uses your trekking poles and is a strong, true 4 season shelter. ultra flexible, and packs down with the nest and shelter rolled together to at largest a 10"x4"x6" loaf. Can be found on sale many places. If the sky is clear, sleep in the nest only for un-paralleled star-gazing.

As for interior room: the S.L.-1 has 25.5 sq ft of interior space, with 7' of un-obstructed sleeping length, a small 2 sq ft vestibule at your feet for boots and a 7.5 sq ft vestibule at the entry (When using the nest or floor), 4 feet wide at entry, 2'6" at the foot-end, 3'9" high at entry and 2'3" at your feet. Infinitely adjustable to suit your needs.

If you're not going to take poles, you can prop it up with sticks or hang it from trees above to shave off even more pack wieght.

If you will see no bugs and want a waterproof floor, your total packed weight will be 1lb 12 oz for a cavernous solo tent or 1 plus a child or dog.

I've had fantastic experience with Golite's timely customer service and their lifetime warranty policy. I know that Gary P. had a bad experience with a bag repair, but Golite resolved it with a generous gift when their out-sourced bag repair shop failed. Gary had to wait 7 weeks but got it (the 10 yr old bag) repaired for $20 and got a $100 Golite gift card for his sufferings. Now he's got a great new daypack to go with his other Golite gear.

Good luck with your research and happy shopping.

12:25 a.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

I am withn Gary and Xtarrobrando on Golite..Great products also Henry Shire of tarptenst is ace's also with Customer service on his products...

1:04 a.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Golite is definitely on my radar. Copper Spur and the Hubba also have my attention. Lookin at the BA 3 wire bivy(event) as well. Decisions decisions. Ugggggghhhhhh lol. All the shelters that have been posted so far are really great. Good thing I started this thread with time to spare before I leave. Its gonna take some time to dissect it all.

1:16 a.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Rick if you want to stay light weight and have some time..You can pick up a used Tarp or tarptent online..Like Mike say's it cuts alot of weight and right now is a great time for a Tarp..Not to hot or cold..You already own a 2 man tent and can pick up a tarp for about $80 and save for a 3 season a little later in the summer..Just an option..

1:08 p.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

I used to have a Black Diamond Megamid that is very similar to the GoLite Shangra-la, it was the most spacious lightweight two person shelter I've ever stayed in. I really wish I hadn't sold it.

I currently use a Mountain Hardware Sprite 1 as a solo shelter, the room is adequate, I can sit up in it, plus it has space for most of my items inside the tent body with my pack & boots in the narrow vestibule.

mountainhardwear_sprite1.jpg

I looked hard at the Hilleberg Akto, but it's price and design both posed concerns for someone currently on a budget and living in the humid southeast US. I prefer tents with a full mesh inner, and just use a good sleeping bag.

I have always liked a small 2 man tent as a solo shelter, but sometimes weight is a greater consideration than space.

I also have a Hennessey hammock and it is truly a great solo shelter with a built in tarp weighing 1lb 15oz. They also have a newer ultralight version weighing only 1lb 10 oz. My only concern with hammocks is the expense of buying down quilts capable of seeing you through cold winter conditions. They do work, but it is pricey.

8:14 a.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
700 reviewer rep
3,110 forum posts

Maybe I'm missing something but when going through the gear reviews for tents I can't seem to find a place to simplify my search by occupancy ratings.

No, you're aren't missing anything, Rick. We just don't have that ability yet. But we will.

8:22 a.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Trout, I hear ya on the initial cost of the Akto, my main feeling to that was I'd rather spend it now and get the quality as opposed to getting someting that would let me down in the long run. I suppose for the cost I could of got maybe 15 Ozark Trail tents. :) Hille does have a mesh inner for the Akto, granted its optional but I was looking at it before someone they realized they needed it more than me. I hope it serves them well.

Alicia, thanks for the heads up. I kept scratchin my head on that one. I thought it was me. :)

9:09 p.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

Yeah Rick, I agree on buying quality and generally do. I must admit I did not know a mesh inner was available for the Akto. I sure wish I could try one out in mid winter, with both types of inners.

I might be wrong in assuming it would be too stuffy for me, I just didn't want to lay out that much money for something I couldn't try out or at least look at.

I am also interested in the one Tipi Walter now has, the Kerlon I think.

9:41 p.m. on March 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I believe the model Tipi has is the Staika if I remember correctly. I have the Hille catalog somewhere around here. Where around here is a different matter(I think the dog has it.) Anywho, the Staika has the Kerlon 1800 fabric which is extremely strong to say the least(Might be the strongest on the market, I'm not sure though.)The Akto is made from Kerlon 1200 fabric which is still by any means no slouch. Hilleberg makes an awesome product. If I had the cash I would buy a Saivo in a heartbeat. For that matter, I would be happy with any tent in their line up. I am so tempted to get another Akto(I will get the mesh inner this time around if I do though.) The Akto only got used in colder temps. Its not a warm weather tent and I don't know how much of a difference the mesh inner will truly make but there is only one way to find out. Your assuption of the Akto being stuffy(Late Spring/Summer)is spot on TH. Especially if there is no breeze and high humidity.

12:16 p.m. on March 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I've recently noticed the Marmot Eos.

http://www.rei.com/product/762560

I like the specs on this a bit better than the MSR Hubba; a bit more interior room and a better price.

12:36 p.m. on March 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alan- I looked at that model as well(EOS), the deal breaker for me is the "I'm over here orange." I like things to somewhat blend into their surroundings. I feel the bright colors are more suited for alpine conditions or expedition applications where being able to be found is more detrimental to survival. The biggest reason I don't typically use bright colors on the trail is they are quite noticeable and stick out like a sore thumb in a backdrop of trees and natural surroundings. This kinda opens the door for less than honest individuals who want to score some new gear at your expense if you are away from camp exploring your surroundings. Which not only hurts the pocket book but can also put ya in a really rough situation depending on how far ya are from your vehicle, shelter(if any,) resources, etc.....

9:29 p.m. on March 22, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

Sorry Rick, I mis-spoke.

The tent Tipi has now is the Keron, he did have the Staika IIRC.

Kerlon is of course the tent fabric.

10:19 a.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Tipi still has the Staika, and the Keron, and a couple others as well, if I am not mistaken. I told him I could help him out, ya know, take one off his hands so he didn't have the hassle of storing them ;)

12:40 p.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
700 reviewer rep
3,110 forum posts

FYI, I moved this thread over to the Gear Selection forum.

12:45 p.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah, I can understand. Being I posted the" suggestions" in there the thread primarily concentrates on that. Thanks Alicia.

9:00 p.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I love my Hillebergs, a Saivo and a Soulo and am seriously considering buying a Jannu, but, these are not tents which I would choose for warm weather uses. I would get one of the lighter MSR or BA tents mentioned here and think that this would work really well and,  it will also work quite well in cold, dry situations if pitched in timber and kept free of snow buildup.

Hilleberg has come out with a base camp tent which is like the Saivo with a "GT" vestibule and it is "only" $1495.00.......I simply drool over this as it is perfect for longer stays in remote hunting camps, in horrible autumn weather, but, I really cannot justify spending that kind of loot given the tents I already own.

A person has to be careful these days as so much incredible gear is coming out that it is EASY to spend your hardearned bux!

9:28 a.m. on March 24, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I have been suffering from Hilleberg Drool Syndrome for years now. I will be able to afford the treatment someday, but for now I must live with and manage the disease as best I can. I am sure living with someone who has HDS must be challenging

2:55 p.m. on March 24, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This year I dont seem to be having any problems with HDS. I feel good about my gear. Yesterday I set up my $24 tent that I picked up 3 years ago. It looks brand new. I gave it a spray, and its read to go beach hiking. I have to set-up my north face canyonlands and seam seal the zipper areas. My car camping tent is ready to go to kite festivals. I still look at tents all the time, but I dont feel the need to pull the trigger and buy them. Thats not to say that if one gets though the watchful eyes of the gear heads at ebay.....

If I'm going to spend $1000 + I will buy a Yurt to live in year round. :)

11:39 p.m. on March 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I have been suffering from Hilleberg Drool Syndrome for years now. I will be able to afford the treatment someday, but for now I must live with and manage the disease as best I can. I am sure living with someone who has HDS must be challenging

I have HDS in the worst way.  The hard part is that living in the midwest I just don't need a tent of that quality.  But, separating want from need is really hard. 

11:44 p.m. on March 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have HDS in the worst way.  The hard part is that living in the midwest I just don't need a tent of that quality.  But, separating want from need is really hard. 

Isn't it ever, I am dealing with HDSOCD as we speak.... I want a Saivo but my wife would kill me.

12:03 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Rick what tent did you go with for your hike? I am intersted in what you decided on...I would love a hildy but right now it's not in the cards...

8:54 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm going with a BA Copper Spur UL1. I'm not an ultra lighter but I like the weight on it and I seems like a nice all around shelter that I can also quick pitch w/o the inner. It has nice dimensions for a 1P, 2 vestibules, and isn't a bright colorings .

Plus I was thinkin with the weight savings I could bring my boom box and jam out to some Run DMC on the trail. Maybe do some old school dance move like the running man thru the 1st section(just to get the ol blood flowin... :) j/k

11:07 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Nice choice! Just look for the Aerosmith Trailhead sign that says "Walk This Way". While on trail, also be on the lookout for the Bears that are "Proud to be Black". They'll be "Raising Hell" on campsites rollin' widout bear cans...

Enjoy your tent and your adventure Rick!

11:35 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I'm going with a BA Copper Spur UL1. I'm not an ultra lighter but I like the weight on it and I seems like a nice all around shelter that I can also quick pitch w/o the inner. It has nice dimensions for a 1P, 2 vestibules, and isn't a bright colorings .

Plus I was thinkin with the weight savings I could bring my boom box and jam out to some Run DMC on the trail. Maybe do some old school dance move like the running man thru the 1st section(just to get the ol blood flowin... :) j/k

I meant color but this phone has a tendency to make words(colorings) and sneak em in before I realize what it thought I meant was wrong. Not to mention everytime I correspond thru email it sends a quoted text on its own in a seperate email... I have a funny feeling it may not make it back from the trip. :)

Anywho, Walk This Way trail markers... That's great. If I come across one maybe I will snag a pic. Ya never know, I might.

11:12 p.m. on March 30, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I feel your predictive text pain. The one thing I dislike about my Iphone is the rediculous autocomplete words it inputs for me when I'm  texting quickly. There's a website, I think it's called damnyouautocomplete.com. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever read (introduced to me by my wife).

Yeah, you are more likely to see the proud to be black bear raising hell in a campsite than the trailmarkers I think, even though those are more obscure references. Enjoy that svelt new tent Rick.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply