About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Best LARGE duffel bag..??

12:38 a.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
145 forum posts

Hi all,

I may be traveling and wanted a super tough duffel bag.  It has to be absolutely water proof as it will be in the elements most all the time.  The one I have found that I like is the Ninja "Overboard" bag.

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/ninja.html

It is a roll-top bag and from what I can see it looks like it is one tough bag.  I wanted to see if any of you have ever used one and if so what did you think of it.  If not...do you have any other suggestions?

Snakey

12:45 a.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Not familiar with that particular bag, but I have a North Face Base Camp Duffel that is absolutely bomb proof.  The specs are similar to the bag that you linked.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/base-camp-duffel.html

Honestly, I don't anticipate ever having to buy another duffel (for travel, anyway) ever again. :D

11:41 a.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
145 forum posts

I saw one review on that one where the reviewer said that the zippers leaked.  Did you ever have that problem?

4:29 p.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Honestly, I haven't really put it through the paces yet so I can't say.  Sorry.

8:21 p.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

the ultimate would be a wild things mule bag, but expensive.  have had good luck with LL Bean duffels. 

1:09 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have a Cabelas Ripcord Magnum size duffel that has been great. Its huge to say the least. Very solid. As far as being waterproof it says it is resistant but I always use some type of cover regardless of manufacturers claims. I snagged mine up at their bargain cave for $25(normally around $60.) Very durable and large. Here is the link below. I have the camo version.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ripcord8482-Duffel-Bags/713753.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dduffel%2Bbags%26x%3D18%26y%3D12%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=duffel+bags&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I also noticed a 100% waterproof duffel on their site as well. It claims it is watertight even if submerged.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Boundary-Waters8482-II-Duffel-Bag/735042.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dboundary%2Bwaters%2Bduffel%26x%3D17%26y%3D9%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=boundary+waters+duffel&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

There are multiple sizes available to accommodate your needs.

4:49 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Concerning the zippers of the north duffle I can attest that they leak. A little bit but still. The oe you found sounds cool. When I need total waterproofness I use my canoeing dry bags or barrels. Seal lines makes pretty good wareproof bags and there not too expansive. Mine have been going on se en years and still kicking.

11:45 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
145 forum posts

I want it for a bicycle trailer, for doing long tours, and it has to be absolutely watertight because of that.  Get caught in a rain and then open the bag and find water...that would stink. 

Rick...I read the customer reviews on the Cabelas waterproof bag and one said that it leaked, or maybe condensation, which the later does not makes sense unless you put stuff in it wet.  Their magnum is HUGE! 

12:25 a.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah, the Magnum is a monster. I have one. I have never been able to fill it.

4:56 a.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

We have some Ortlieb duffles. I don't know if Ortlieb are big in the US. They have a roll top like the canoe bags and are probably water-tight unless fully submerged. I also use the same PVC type material Ortlieb bicycle panniers and they are pretty tough, showing no signs of stress on folding etc, after many years.

Ideally, something with a large waterproof zip but I imagine that that is going to be more expensive than the roll top duffle. Closing the ortlieb duffles (3 x roll) really reduces the space available and isn't the most elegant solution. However, a dry bag design is more reliable than a zip design (McNett the zips).

I don't know if Pacific Outdoor Equipment make any but they seem to use the same technology and they are north american I presume?

6:08 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
145 forum posts

We have some Ortlieb duffles. I don't know if Ortlieb are big in the US. They have a roll top like the canoe bags and are probably water-tight unless fully submerged. I also use the same PVC type material Ortlieb bicycle panniers and they are pretty tough, showing no signs of stress on folding etc, after many years.

Pathloser.....

Hey...thanks do much!  That is just what I was looking for!  Big...yellow...and watertight.

BigZip_yellow.jpg

THE BIG ZIP

And 8543 cubic inches of space!  I could carry a million dollars in this thing!  And all in ones to!

Seriously...thanks so much.

Snakey

8:42 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Nice Ortilieb. The bike trailer that that MEC sales comes with a bag that looks just like it.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply