Sleeping bag recomendations ....

2:45 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hey everyone,

So it's like this, I know what features I want to have in my sleeping bag but it hard to find and compare the different brands and models.

the features im very keen on are :

* goose down

* below freezing

* the option to unzip the bottem (use the bag as a blanket)

* water repelling outer shell

* reasonable price

I can deal with weight and size issues.

thanks a lot

Itamar

9:13 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

You may want to reconsider that water repelling outer shell.  It reduces the breathability of the bag, which will encourage the down to retain evaporated body sweat, and cause it to lose loft in due time.

Ed

3:17 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Marmot Sawtooth Membrane

3:55 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,544 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

the sawtooth is a nice bag, the least expensive marmot down bag that's rated materially below freezing (to 15 degrees).   i have it without the waterproof/breathable 'membrain' outer shell.  Marmot sells a few lines of more expensive bags - you pay more for loftier down and lower weight, primarily.  the sawtooth and other mummy bags usually don't unzip into a blanket, though, like a rectangular sleeping bag would.  the zipper stops about midway between your knee and foot. you can sort of use it as a blanket, except your feet will still have to be in the foot of the bag.  finding a rectangular bag that fits all of your needs might be hard to do. 

the main benefit of the waterproof/breathable outer shell is if you might find yourself using it directly exposed to the elements, so you want some protection from snow accumulation or wind.  or if you expect water dripping on the bag from a leak, snowmelt, condensation, and so on.  i haven't needed it for 3 season bags, and the only reason my winter bag has a waterproof/breathable outer shell is that most -40 down bags have some kind of waterproof/breathable membrane these days.   

12:35 a.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi

i have a 90% goose down RAB (www.rab.uk.com) expedition mummy bag rated to -30C.  it has rip stop water repellent parachute material outer layer, the zip, unzips all the way to your feet and you can also unzip from your feet upwards so if you just want to stick your feet out of the bottom of the bag you can. I've also had it custom fitted to my size (5ft2) as most sleeping bags are a standard 6ft - if you're going to be at high altitudes you might want to consider doing this, as every extra cm of length is extra air space that your body has to heat - instead of keeping you warm.

the bag only weighs 900g.

you could also consider taking a goretex outer bag for real waterproofing.

good luck! 

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply