Trekking poles newbie

10:58 a.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Just got a set of Black-Diamond "Alpine Carbon Cork" sticks.  My first, ever.

Did a brief 'shake-down' with them, and some old, familiar gear (like my clunker Fabiano boots) in preparation for some upcoming  AT / Shenandoah N.P.  hiking.

No mountains here, so I went to my local community park.   Also, went to the local H.S. athletic field ... where I stepped / climbed the ball-field bleachers.

WOW !!   Tough on the old quads and hamstrings, especially in those Fabianos.

Anyhow, I'm impressed with the sticks.   I can navigate gnarly above-ground tree roots, small rocks, slippery slopes, etc. with greater confidence.   Have seen where trekking-poles can improve walking / hiking efficiency by 15%.  Definitely easier on the knees going downhill.

Still trying to determine a comfortable and convenient way to manage the wrist-straps, while maintaining good grip and control, and being able to access other gear items when I stop hiking for a few moments, and keep them on my wrists while doing so.    I like the cork handles.   These "Alpine Carbons" are stouter than the regular hiking-poles.   Should be useful in other apps, while minimizing breakage, like 'pole-vaulting' small streams without getting feet wet.   Very light ( carbon  ... duh ... d'oh ).   They collapse down into 1/3 full lengths, for handy stowing.

Anyone ??   Would welcome your comments.

r2

6:55 p.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have found that regardless of how I hold the poles when locked into the straps, I always look and feel awkward trying to access other gear.  Typically I just take one off and hold it with the other hand to access other gear, and I don't bash someone with the pole while doing so this way :)

11:39 a.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I have to agree with D&G, it is just easier for me to remove them when I need to get at anything.  About the only thing I do with them "on" is the quick map and compass check.

3:36 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Do you guys have Nordic Walking in the States? We have Nordic Walking trails all over the place here in Germany. I seem to cross these trails with my hiking trails. It involves poles, but I believe there is a certain way to use them. There are also stretches you do before going off on the trail. The poles are used in the stretching routines. I have seen signs at the beginning of the Nordic walking trails that show the stretch routines.

7:12 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Do you guys have Nordic Walking in the States? We have Nordic Walking trails all over the place here in Germany. I seem to cross these trails with my hiking trails. It involves poles, but I believe there is a certain way to use them. There are also stretches you do before going off on the trail. The poles are used in the stretching routines. I have seen signs at the beginning of the Nordic walking trails that show the stretch routines.

Never heard of it, D-Dog.   Fill us in.   I'm a Yoga instructor ... always interested in stretching and flexibility routines and exercises.

r2

9:38 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Yes, there is Nordic Walking here, and a number of clubs, as well as gyms and YMCAs, offer courses and group walks. Just have to look in the right place. I'm a bit surprised that r2 hasn't heard of it, since it is big with Yoga instructors around here. But then, the SFBay Area is its own world {8=>D

12:50 a.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yes, there is Nordic Walking here, and a number of clubs, as well as gyms and YMCAs, offer courses and group walks. Just have to look in the right place. I'm a bit surprised that r2 hasn't heard of it, since it is big with Yoga instructors around here. But then, the SFBay Area is its own world {8=>D

Naawwww.   Never heard 'tell of it, in these parts.

The only different 'walking' around these 'red-necky' parts is jaywalking.

And that is sometimes hard to do ... what, with all these jacked-up pickup trucks with horrendously loud exhaust systems.

BTW, Bill S ~~ cool little picto-graph.   Very subtle, yet effective.

r2

2:09 a.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Robert,

Wikipedia has a great description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/nordic_walking

A lot of health resorts/spas are really big into this sport. I also notice a lot of older people on the trails doing the sport. Volksmarching/hiking/walking is a normal routine for most Germans on the weekends. The people are healthier and stronger even in their older years then. There are a lot of hills/mountains in my area, so it gets your heart pumping.

I posted these pictures a few weeks ago under trip reports, so sorry for the repeat.

Here is a sign that crossed  Nordic-Walking trails with my hiking trail

SAM_0521.jpg

Here is the Nordic trail for the red arrow. It starts from a local health spa which also includes Yoga classes. These trails go on for many miles. There are also loop trails.
SAM_0526.jpg
A rest area for hikers and Nordic walkers. Notice this green emergency sign that has phone numbers in case of injuries.
SAM_0520.jpg

This is the hiking trail I continued on. Notice that the trail is not so smooth and cleaned out. But it is more natural and beautiful.
SAM_0522.jpg

6:33 a.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Very helpful, D-Dog.

Oddly, I am doing this, already.

I have posted this topic "Trekking poles newbie", which elaborates.   Briefly, I am now acclimating to using the poles, and wearing my 'old school' Fabiano hiking / mountaineering boots ( 6-lbs, the pair) to condition my legs.   I recently (3-months ago) had hernia-repair surgery, and could not do much of anything physical.

I like this, and will continue the practice.

Thanks, again.

r2

5:06 p.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

I'm a big fan of trekking poles and have used them for years. I don't nordic walk, though I always see a Leki-led group walking the streets of Salt Lake City during Outdoor Retailer.

Anyway, for those who missed them, here are some articles on trekking poles on the site:

10:58 p.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thnx, Alicia ....

r2

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply