low trail runners/light hikers, looking for advice

3:31 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

i am replacing a pair of vasque velocity shoes - trail runners i have basically used as low, light hiking shoes for the past year and a half.  i like the shoe, with the one caveat that my feet tend to slide forward on steep downhills, even if i lace them really tightly.  vasque owes me a few toenails.  i'm willing to accept the occasional black and blue toenail but figure i can do better.

my feet run wide, i measure an E width, and i use a pair of custom 3/4 length orthotics.  previously used 2 pair of merrells, the chameleon and the moab ventilator, soles wore out quickly, both fit fine without being great.  have pretty much ruled out scarpa and salewa shoes, too narrow. 

my regular hiking boots are limmer boots sized wide - love 'em, but it's a lot of boot for summer day hiking in the steamy mid-atlantic. 

i'm thinking about a pair of salomons in an "M+" size (they have wide sizing).  looking for other suggestions to try.  i have two chain stores in the area, REI and Hudson Trail Outfitters, but specialty stores for hiking/trail are scarce. 

thanks.

6:57 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

some other sources advised that the north face single track and treksta evolution run wide in the toe box, fyi. 

9:04 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I run a wide feet like you. For day hikes I love trail runners for the lightness and nimbleness. But when the going gets rough I find the soles too soft. The fact that the laces dont go far into towards the toe might help explain why your feet bang in front of your shoes. I found the Jannu low from Lowa and I love them. Stiff, light, PU sole and leather lined. Only fear/complaint, is the quantity of stiches. But so far so good. I added a gel sole to make em a bit more comfy.

9:10 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Suggest Blue Ridge Mountain Sports.   Closest one to you is Warrenton, VA.

Also, Eastern Mountain Sports.  I shop the one in Annapolis.  Don't know if any are closer to you.

Yogi Robt

9:16 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Here's a "tip" (for the black-toe).

Taken from the ballerina's "book".

Get your shoes 1/2 size larger.   Place a 'wad' (can't think of the proper term) of pure lamb's wool (untreated / unprocessed) in the toe of the shoe ... then put them on, and proceed to gingerly "kick" a semi-hard vertical surface. The lamb's wool will form around your toes.

In this manner, your toes will NEVER impact the front-most part of the shoe.  The toes will be protected by the lamb's wool.

Think about how much time ballerinas spend ON their toes.

Yogi Robt

12:08 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Lowa and Meindl fit wide and should last a long time, try them on of you can find a place that sell them

5:30 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

thanks - Lowa is something i might find at a local REI.

11:15 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

For something light and wide a Keen may fit the bill. They have a wide forefoot(fit my flippers.) I really like my Oregons so far. No problems and they don't leak. The Targhees get pretty good reviews from what I have seen. Just too light for me.

Also if you can find a Cabelas(I think one was being opened in Annapolis) you can check out their line of Meindl boots. I have my eye on possibly snagging up the Alaskan hikers, they also have the Perfekts. Both are pretty solid but a heavier boot. I wouldn't consider them a "light hiker."

3:13 a.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I have a pair of,

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX Trail-Running Shoes

and love them.

http://www.rei.com/product/772097/salomon-xa-pro-3d-ultra-gtx-trail-running-shoes-mens

9:14 a.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Keen are wide, but they are not build to the same standards as Lowa or Meindle. The XA Pro is a sound shoe but narrow as hell. Some of Motrail may work as well - and the older models are better if you can get your hand (feet) around them.

2:44 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I completely agree on the build quality standards as far as a Keen when compared to a Lowa. IMHO they are 2 total different classes of footwear. I am looking at the key word "light."

I still think Keen makes a pretty solid light boot. I am really abusing my Oregons and they haven't even wimpered yet. Footwear is such a hard thing to suggest or recommend being that everyones likes/dislikes, wants/needs, and foot structure is so personal.

3:36 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Callahan, is the Saloman shoes wide? I have really wide feet. My columbia trail shoes are a bit tight, so looking to replace. I do have a pair of 8 year old boots from Saloman which fit wonderfully-sort of like their quality. I have to order online, because unavailability in BX, so I guess I am relying on someone else experience instead of trying them on.

5:38 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

D-Dog - Any of the Saloman I know are NOT wide, and the XA-Pro are no different (I had to skip a great deal on them as they are too narrow for me).

Rick - you are right, it's not easy at all to shop for footwear, people are kind of different :) what I like about Keen is the comfort...2 years ago I went to the village in Germany where they makes Meindle and I enter the factory shop - shoe haven I'm telling you :)

7:24 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I like Meindl boots. That Alaska Hiker that Cabelas sells looks to me to be the Meindl Himalaya. I really like this boot.

Himalaya http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7014&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Shopping-US

Cabelas Alaska Hiker by Meindl http://www.cabelas.com/mens-high-hiking-boots-cabelas-alaska-hiker-boots-meindl-3.shtml

I am trying to figure out the price difference. Maybe I need to take a better look at the specs. Meindls are nice boots.

1:39 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

D-Dog - one model of the Salomon trail runners, the XA Pro 3d Ultra 2, is available in a 'wide' version.  how wide, i don't know because the stores selling them here don't carry the wide (agree, the regular Salomon is a pretty narrow shoe).  Search for the shoe and add "M+".

i just ordered a pair of Treksta Evolution gtx trail shoes - the low ones, not the mid, but similar design.  they have a non-gore, the Evolution II, also.  I spoke with a rep that has worn the shoes, and they run pretty wide in the toe box.   will have to get them & wear them for a while before reviewing..... 

2:56 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Thank you for your help leadbelly. My feet are quite wide and cramp up in narrow shoes around the arch area. Will do the research on the XZ Pro. I am very happy with the Solamon boots I have, so would like to stick with a company that has worked for me in the past.

Nirotem, which village did you go to? Meindle shoes....I would also like to look into this brand over here. Would also give me an excuse to go on a little trip...

4:29 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

To this one:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kirchansch%C3%B6ring+meindl&aq=&sll=47.95851,12.837072&sspn=0.013737,0.042272&ie=UTF8&hq=meindl&hnear=Kirchansch%C3%B6ring,+Traunstein,+Bavaria,+Germany&ll=47.954122,12.838683&spn=0.006869,0.021136&t=h&z=16

http://www.meindl.de/english/

One of myfriends grow-up 10 min's drive away from there so when I visited him we went together...Lowa sits about 30 min's away...

Those are news for me about Salomon making wide versions, but it's about time! good luck with it

6:09 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

meindl also makes the non-custom limmer boots. 

9:19 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

meindl also makes the non-custom limmer boots. 

^^ really?

5:57 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... really?

(I've wondered, too).

Yogi Robt

11:43 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

from Limmer website:

"In the mid '70s, the Limmers entered an agreement with a major footwear manufaturer in Bavaria to produce the line of footwear offered here. Beginning with the Standard boot, the Limmer Boot Inc. product line now includes a variety of styles and weights geared to all outdoor applications. Fine materials and skilled craftsmanship are the keystones to "the Limmer way."
http://www.limmerboot.com/aboutus.html

8:25 a.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Sooo ... Nir, is Meindl quartered in Bavaria ?

Yogi Robt

11:04 a.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Have a look at the google map link I posted few posts above :) it's sure it

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply