Footwear for a summer 14er

7:52 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Greetings:

Mid July for a few Colorado 14ers is scheduled and booked.  I have Merrell Chameloen ISO- I do not wear these they hurt my hip (ball and socket hurt)

Anyway- some thoughts on footwear for hiking/climbing these 14ers?

Thanks from Sea Level

Dutch

4:08 p.m. on May 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

How long does it take before the Merrels start to hurt?  I think that changing shoes frequently stops all sorts of pain..  I always have some Crocs for water and lounging in after I take the boots off- they are easy to pack because they weigh nothing. 

2:42 a.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I have both Merill Moab Mids and lo cuts and no problems because I changed out the insole for Superfeet insoles.

3:09 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

i just bought and am starting to wear a pair of treksta evolution trail shoes.  these are gore tex, they sell with or without gore.  would probably go for their mid if i were using them more for backpacking.  purchased them after much research, and the fit is interesting.  roomy in the toe, relatively wide toe box, pretty firm arch support.  snug and comfortable fit, definitely not your typical pancake trail shoe insole.  lugs on the sole are relatively shallow.  

i don't plan to review them until i have some mileage, but pretty promising.  

1:30 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Everyone's feet are different and a shoe that works well on my foot might not work on yours.  I do love the Merrill Moab Ventilators that 300winman mentioned (the low-tops are my everyday shoe), but I feel that they are too light duty for hiking up a 14er.  Take a look at the Keen Pyrenees.  For me, they are the perfect balance in a hiker.  Light, waterproof, sturdy, and they are the most comfortable shoe I've ever tried.

Here's my review:

http://www.ismellfeet.com/?p=50

Jim

2:49 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Everyone's feet are different and a shoe that works well on my foot might not work on yours.  I do love the Merrill Moab Ventilators that 300winman mentioned (the low-tops are my everyday shoe), but I feel that they are too light duty for hiking up a 14er.  Take a look at the Keen Pyrenees.  For me, they are the perfect balance in a hiker.  Light, waterproof, sturdy, and they are the most comfortable shoe I've ever tried.

Here's my review:

http://www.ismellfeet.com/?p=50

Jim

 

Pyrennes(day hiker) does not have any type of full stability plate(not even 3/4) and the breathing characteristics of the Keen Dry membrane combined with a full leather upper leaves alot to be desired. Also the soles are a really soft compound that when exposed to rocky terrain have a tendency to wear down quickly and worst case scenario they chunk and shred. They are more suited for light on-trail treks.

For the type of terrain you are going to encounter I would suggest the Keen Oregon PCT. I own both of the boots(pics up) and have done a review on the Pyrenees. I am waiting a little while longer on a review on the Oregons. I am doing a 70 miler here soon and this will be the final test I throw at them before I fire out a review. So far my outlook on them is quite favorable. The sole is a different compound than the Pyrenees. If I remember correctly the soles on the Oregon are a rubber/carbon compound and they wear alot better plus with the combo of leather/synthetic upper the Oregon also breathes better than the Pyrenees.

The Oregons have a full length tpu plate that helps alot on what ya feel under your foot as well as provides alot more stability than the Pyrenees. All around the Oregon is definitely a heavier duty boot. Better ankle support too imho.

I will make one very strong suggestion with these 2 models.... NIKWAX. The leather on them sucks up water like a sponge. I used Leatheproof on the Pyrenees(Bison) and Fabric & Leatherproof on the Oregons. Neither have any problems with leaking and this cures the "sponge effect."

If you are utilizing a pack(which I would think you are) the heavier duty Oregon would definitely be a bit more suited for this type of trek with the extra suppport it provides.

Also check out Salomons. I don't have any experience with them but from what I have read they get really good feedback. Quest 4D GTX looks solid and there is a range on widths. Happy Hiking.

5:40 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
600 forum posts

I agree footwear is probably the most difficult thing to give a reccomendation on. So many different types of boots with a variety of levels of support, on top of what feels comfortable to you. A couple things that would help people narrow it down for you...

Price range? Gore-tex fan? Leather fan? Height you want the boot?

Once you have a couple in mind there is no substitute for puttin em on and walking around the store for 1/2 an hour!

6:25 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I agree footwear is probably the most difficult thing to give a reccomendation on. So many different types of boots with a variety of levels of support, on top of what feels comfortable to you. A couple things that would help people narrow it down for you...

Price range? Gore-tex fan? Leather fan? Height you want the boot?

Once you have a couple in mind there is no substitute for puttin em on and walking around the store for 1/2 an hour!

 

Definitely with ya on that one Jake, a few of the shops here have areas that simulate terrain so you can play around and check for things like toe bang, etc.

8:23 a.m. on May 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

thanks... I tried several pair and what was best for me and my feet were the Lowa Renegade GTX II.  Light weight, great for the arch and easy out of the box. 

Should I wear these before I hit the trails?

Dutch

8:44 a.m. on May 11, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

thanks... I tried several pair and what was best for me and my feet were the Lowa Renegade GTX II.  Light weight, great for the arch and easy out of the box. 

Should I wear these before I hit the trails?

Dutch

 

Absolutely, break in is a definite with hiking boots. It will let the boot conform to your feet and it gives ya a heads-up on where your problem areas are gonne be if any(ie hotspots, blisters, etc.) Better to be home and able to address these problems as opposed to finding out miles away from anywhere. Nice boots.

10:15 a.m. on May 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I was not clear in my hiiking needs.  90% of my hiking is Florida.  This means flat, hot, humid and usually a chance or wet.  The 10% is the Colorado hiking events in the summer.  I have not decided on whether to keep the Renegades.

Since then I have tried, Salomon 3d GTX approach, Asolo Fugitives, Scarpa Kailash, La Sportiva Thunder II and Garmont Zenith. 

The Salomon felt "good" and I realized it was not a hiking boot in that the heel was lower.  Maybe my brain was fooled because I wear tennis shoes all day and when I tried these on with the other "hiking boots" it felt better/different.

I read a review of the Kailash on Geartestreview.   The reviewer is a South Florida resident who does similar hikes as I do.  He was larger like me 6'1" 220.  The reviewer gave high marks to this boot. 

I usually wear 10.5.  This is the size of the Kailash. Socking will only be ultra thin liner plus a medium weight. I tired the boot with this configuration.  Since I have not owned new hikers in 10+ years I was unsure what the initial fit should be. The boots felt snug but not tight.  I had room in the toebox. The Garmont Zenith were size 11's/ These proved to be a bit sloppy with some play inside the boot.  I did not like that.

So, bottom line is I am looking for a hiking boot to handle hot,dry,wet, conditions of Florida and whatever is thrown at me in the summer in Colorado for a day hike.

Thanks

D

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Buying a used ACR plb Newer: Dana Design backpack belt sizing
All forums: Older: *Trade*, Dana Design belt? Newer: Was my bear story offensive?