Dumb luck? (poncho tarp, down bag & no bivy)

9:40 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a GoLite Poncho Tarp (Silnylon, 8 ft 8 in x 4 ft 10 in, 10.44oz on my scales), window insulation film as a ground sheet (1.10oz) and a Marmot Helium (16F, 31.82oz) or Atom (43F 21.52oz). I'm 5 feet 9 inches tall.

I do not use a bivy with my down bags and I haven't gotten wet.

My question is.... am I asking for trouble? Most other gear lists w/ poncho/tarps have lightweight or partial bivys included. I have slept through a decent rain storm or two, staying dry in A-frame pitch. But it's also relatively cramped under my little poncho/tarp, and I'm worried I'll get bit eventually. (I tried pitching in a half-pyramid for more protection in backyard, but was even more cramped length-wise and had trouble keeping it taught)

I am contemplating going lighter with Cuben Fiber products (solo tarp, poncho/tarp, bivy, pack) to lighten up.

If a bivy is recommended with an 8 ft 8 in x 4 ft 10 in poncho/tarp, I'll probably start weighing the pros/weights of a larger CF tarp vs. smaller tarp and bivy....or if there is a larger CF poncho/tarp than my current one.

Thanks for the advice. Currently sitting at ~8lbs base weight

1:39 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Just a quick note on the Sleeping Bag.  spray it with water repellant spray before you go.

Sounds like you have some idea of how to pitch your tarp tent and floor tarp with weather considerations.  Unless it blows a lot you sound like you will have it handled.

If I was every to buy a Bivy I have often looked at the Big Agnes Bivy though went with the Alps Mountaineering Triton 1.5 and if weight is not such a factor I sometimes take a 5'7" x 7'7" tarp.

4:03 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Granted you have more to worry about that perspiration if caught in a heavy rain, but by spraying my down bag with repellent would you worry about the bag retaining too much moisture emitted from my body over a multi-day trek?  Thanks for the feedback!

9:11 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

You'll probably get bit when a storm blows horizontally at you.  It is almost impossible to dry shelter against such weather without something that creates a fully enclosed protective space.

Ed

8:08 a.m. on April 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I am relatively confident I can protect against directional rain ~IF~ I know where it's coming from when I setup.  The crappy part of say a half-pyramid pitch is a storm coming in at night and surprising you.  That's what I'm trying to account for.

I need someone to make a gatewood cape in cuben fiber! :)

4:46 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I am relatively confident I can protect against directional rain ~IF~ I know where it's coming from when I setup...

One theoretically can take cover under a postage stamp if they know where the each rain drop will fall...

What does weather and a prize fighter have in common?

I could have boxed Mike Tyson in his prime, as ling as I knew ahead of time what he is going to throw at me.  The problem is champion boxers and the elements have this habit of eventually finding your vulnerabilities, then socking it to you.

Ed

7:51 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thank you Captain Obvious (:p).  I am leaning towards a cuben poncho tarp, quilt and bivy for better rain protection while still lightening my load.  The bivy will be needed if I go to a quilt, as i toss and turn a lot and the bivy will hopefully hold drafts at bay.

6:20 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Granted you have more to worry about that perspiration if caught in a heavy rain, but by spraying my down bag with repellent would you worry about the bag retaining too much moisture emitted from my body over a multi-day trek?  Thanks for the feedback!

No, the spraying does not seal the bag shut.  It is not like putting yourself into a plastic bag.

There is a book I have read part of about using a vapor barrier method for warmth.  I have also been with a couple of guys trying the method/s.  It was a funny trip/s, 3, 5, 7, 12 and 20 day long trips trips.  It was funny for me to watch there agony in the cold.  Then they really began to stink.

Back on topic,  A light spray will in crease the water repellancy (not waterproof) the bag.

If not taking a Bivy (I know forgetting gear is never planned) take a bivy or a second lightweight tarp.

1:08 p.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Since you're looking for ultra lite just get that new Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 that's got the Guinness World Record @ 1lb 4.49 oz. It's only $630 - $690 and you wouldn't have to carry the tarp.

Here's what might be a nice compromise: Adventure Medical Kits Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivvy 8.1 ounces only $34.

10:36 p.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,060 forum posts

Mountain laurel designs has 9x65x53 silnylon ponchotarp that weighs 10 oz also the carry a silnylon bivy that weighs 7oz..you should also look at the equinox ultralight pocho tarp as well at backcounty..weighs 9.6oz with extension about 10.oz..But their are lots of manufacturers for lighter gear to drop base weight..

10:16 p.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Not sure how Guiness classifies a tent, but they are smoking something with that record, haha.

I ended up purchasing the Bear Paw Wilderness Designs Cub Den 1.5 @

10.9 tent w/ line locks & webbing, bug netting and NO extended beak (taped/bonded, no seam sealing needed)

-0.37 subtracting Line Lock 3s & webbing (8 of them on shelter x 0.046 oz. weight quote sourced from Zpacks.com actually)
= 10.53 oz for just the tent w/ out any guy lines or Line Lock 3s.
$225

Here is my full review with pics:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=47924&disable_pagination=1

I appreciate the advice here.  I'm hoping the new setup gives me the better coverage I was looking for.  30 mile trek this weekend, we'll see how it does!

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply