What is your favourite piece of equipment ?

7:36 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

You know the one that you have used a few times and love it

or

the one that you have lost and then raced out to replace

or

the one you think that you could never do without

, that kind of favourite piece of equipment.

Mine that I take just about everywhere on camp/adventure trips, on work trips, in the house, under the car, is my

Petzl Tactikka Xp with red slider lense/difuser

(closely followed by my 20yr Anniversary Leatherman Wave)

9:51 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

That must be this Victorinox knife that is always in my pocket. Only time it is not there is when I'm flying, 'cause the regulations you know. I feel naked without it even if it is a short flight.

What I use there is nearly all the tools, but especially the scissor and the knife is much used. Even my wife admits she is dependant on this knife. When she is knitting or has damaged a nail f.ex. And yes, I keep the knives and the scissors SHARP.

10:24 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

The one that's been with me the longest, and DEFINITELY could not do without, is my old Buck knife.   I have no idea what the name or model might be.   It is large enough to have a sheath / scabbard that is worn on a waist-belt, but it just about small enough to put in your front pants pocket.

It also has a marlin-spike, aside from the knife blade.   VERY handy on a sailboat (untie knots) ... and, other uses.

Yogi Robt

4:14 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I don’t get attached to gear, but if I had to declare, my favorites would be my sleeping bags and mat.  Nothing special about them, they cover the range of anticipated temperatures.  They are my favorite gear because nothing makes me more comfy in the back country.

Ed

8:15 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Ed,

I, too, have myriad sleeping bags (don't ask).   Wondering (?) 'bout your fav mat.   What, and why?

Yogi Robt

9:54 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I always have my UCO candle lantern with me. I don't always use it, but it's there. Love that lil thing.

11:41 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Gotta be my GPS.  Current model is the Garmin 550t.  I've had a GPS for over ten years now and I take it everywhere.  I love being able to check out my track log on topo maps or on Google Earth when I get home.

12:31 p.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

My camelbak transformer (military grade) and some of the molle attachments I bought for the backpack.

11:30 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Firesteel/fatwood kit that I carry. I never hit the trails w/o it. I can make an improvised shelter if need be, can make a blade using flint knapping techniques, but keeping warm is not always an option. Also having the ability to boil water in a very bad situation can pay dividends as well. Alot of benefits from having the ability to make fire.

12:01 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Hands down winner......my old Avocet Vertech Alpine.

With it I can see how high I am, help figure out exactly where I am (altitude plus map and compass), see how cold it is before I get out of the bag, learn if the weather is changing (loss or gain in altitude), and get wakened up early enough to get tied in the rope and not compromise either breakfast or biology. I can also figure out why I'm so beat the next day by looking at the accumulated amount of gain I did and how fast I did or did not do it in. :-)

I've used it on 3 Ramrod and 15 Cycle Oregon rides to figure out the gain and loss. One year on Cycle O we did 25000 ft of climbing over 7 days. I was really fit after that ride.

Been through 6 battery changes to the Avocet, and three bands. Avocet replaced the sending unit one time on warranty a long time ago. I sometimes try to go cold turkey and not get the battery replaced right away when it crumps out...even bought a Suunto Altimax a few years ago but never bonded to it. Eventually I send it to Avocet since they set it so the thermometer works and make sure its all set.

I do take an old Thommen barometric altimeter as a backup. It rests in the car when not in the mountains so I can see how high I'm driving right now.

12:21 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

My favorite things would have to be a knife and my poncho liner.  I am never without a knife, as OttoStover said it "I feel naked without it".  I have several different models, one I have while at work in a suit, my everyday jeans carry and larger more robust knife I carry into the woods.  They are not just knives, they are tools and have come in handy more times than I can ever remember.

Number two is my poncho liner.  I never go into the woods longer than a day without it.  In the winter it is great for that night the temps dip and you just feel a little colder and want a little extra love to keep you warm.  Here in Virginia in the summer, it is all I will usually carry to sleep with at night.  Anything else is just too warm for me.  Lightweight and warm, I have carried one with me across the globe and slept just about anywhere you can imagine with one, I never intend to be in the woods without it.

2:03 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

My Solar Charged I-phone. It (the phone) does everything and never runs out of juice (Novathink I-Charge). GPS w/ Topo map options, Stargazing maps, bug repellant app, compass, reference manual, journal, voice notes, video and camera, pedometer, altimeter, gaming system for those rainy/stormy nights, bird and flower ID system, you name it. Plus the charging case protects the phone and can be clipped to my pack's shoulder strap.

6:36 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Ed,

..Wondering (?) 'bout your fav mat.   What, and why?

I was slow to get on the thermarest bandwagon - I didn't trust an air mattress failure for lack of sleeping comfort.  I have been using one of their lightweight products (don't recall the model number) with no problems since 2005 on warm season trips.  Very comfy.  For winter season I still use two of the good old blue foam pads, however, which provide an inch of insulation.

Ed   

4:40 p.m. on May 11, 2011 (EDT)
126 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

My favourite piece of equipment is the compass my wife bought me. It's the Kasper & Richter Meridian Pro compass. Way over the top for what a guy needs for bush travel, kinda like getting a Ferrai for commuting to work (up here most commutes are 15 minutes or less) but I love the beast. My other favourite piece is actually very practical and gets used all the time. It's my Rifleman Tomahawk. Cuts, chops firewood, cleans game, pounds in tent pegs(make 'em when I break 'em, as well)... it slice, it dices...ok, ok, I won't get caried away, it's very handy.

10:45 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

mountainman_270 said:

My favourite piece of equipment is the compass my wife bought me. It's the Kasper & Richter Meridian Pro compass. Way over the top for what a guy needs for bush travel, kinda like getting a Ferrai for commuting to work (up here most commutes are 15 minutes or less) but I love the beast. My other favourite piece is actually very practical and gets used all the time. It's my Rifleman Tomahawk. Cuts, chops firewood, cleans game, pounds in tent pegs(make 'em when I break 'em, as well)... it slice, it dices...ok, ok, I won't get caried away, it's very handy.

In the construction (residential) biz, some guys (v few) use a tool called a "rigging axe", which is similar to your tomahawk.   However; it also has a handy feature:  a notch on the head for grabbing nail-heads (to pry them out).

r2

11:50 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,291 forum posts

My experience after over 40 years of enjoyng the outdoors. I have had many different outdoor items from bicycle's and panniersfor touring and mountain biking, backpacks,tents,sleeping bags, pads, boots, etc. Had lots of camera's every major brand, many lenses.

2:48 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Seems as though we're all forgetting OUR HATS !

Nearly every avatar photo-image shows us in some sort of HAT.

The one in mine has a loooong story behind it.   Better left for another post-topic.   I WILL comment, that it PRECEDED the Indiana Jones and Crocodile Dundee phenomenae.   Thoroughly "broken-in" with sweat and water-stains, not to mention several 'overboard' excursions.

And, I have a full head-of-hair ... soooo, I don't wear it to "hide" anything.

Yogi Robt

3:40 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,291 forum posts

MNy hair is still all there too and I am 55. My father and grand fathers had hair all there lives. My hat in my picture is my Trailspace hat. My other hat is a camo full brim I got in Alaska.

10:31 p.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

I'm like My favorite piece of gear period is this Victorinox knife. It was made for my trade (computer tech) and is THE best knife I have every owned.  I have owned all three sizes the 29 34 and 41 (haven't owned the lite model but am thinking about it for Christmas). The 34 is the best in my opinion. It has the scissors and pliers (pliers aren't that useful but the scissors sure are). The 41 is just to big for the pocket and I don't think I ever used the metal file or saw except to test them.

wNO5nESUqLaAadPNXiOweHn2nVEpJ8Bqfml4YAaP
Yes that black thing is a set of interchangeable screw driver bits. One is a #2 Phillips and unless you have one of these knives you have no clue as to how handy it is. I use this knife everyday and have immediately replaced it when I lost it and it is a real pain to do without it.

11:46 p.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Ed Said:

" For winter season I still use two of the good old blue foam pads, however, which provide an inch of insulation."

That's what I do, they weigh next to nothing and I can manage the bulk.

I do have a Synmat 7 getting near the top of my "to buy" list though.

8:56 a.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I really love my Asolo 535 hiking boots. They are so comfortable to wear. Old style heavy boots I know but when I tried the newer lightweight hiking boots, well after two days my feet hurt. The Asolos craddle my feet in love! Besides keeping me dry always (and warm in winter) they like it when you talk dirty to them ie... rocky trails. They whine at the door and wag their little tongues when they know we are going to the Dolly Sods!

9:24 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Hafford said:

I really love my Asolo 535 hiking boots.....they like it when you talk dirty to them ie... ..They whine at the door and wag their little tongues when they know we are going to the Dolly Sods!

Is this a fetish?  I can understand such affection for whiskey flask, but dude, I think you dig your footwear a bit too much!)

Ed

9:32 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Ooooh, I have that fetish too.

My Alico FGL's are on their own little shelf.

I burn incense to them before difficult hikes.

9:45 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Presently I would have to say my ULA Catalyse backpack. I think we have become very intimate on the trail.If I am listening to tunes on my ipod my packs shoulder straps remind me it's still there and I have ignored it..LOL

Think my kelty pack feels naglected now? LOL

10:42 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

You may be right about the fetish, but in truth I have switched up almost every piece of gear I own at one time or another, but comfortable, sturdy boot? Yeah, I'd give them their own shelf.

1:58 a.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

TarpTent Moment. That sucker is SO light, stable and easy to set up. Then there's the great vestibule, ventilation, ...

Eric

1:15 p.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts
Re: Avocet Vertech Alpine

I agree, I love my Avocet Vertech Alpine!

Have milked life out of it all these years!

Am just careful on assuring the rubber seal is secure after battery change.  I have a Garmin 450T, Garmin 210, compass, etc.

I just (like an addiction) always seem to strap on the Avocet.

I just call the local Nat'l Weather Service ASOS site and set the bara-pressure, adjust the altitude, then head out on the trail.

10:10 a.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I was a little hesitant at throwing this on the thread beacause I have only had it for a month. Victorinox Swiss Army Soldiers knife(new od green/black version.) I really really like this knife alot. It has just the implements I need and nothing that I don't. I keep dental floss/tweezers in my med kit so I don't need them on a knife. I would lose them anyways. :)

11:34 p.m. on May 24, 2011 (EDT)
318 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Since I was a young Scout, my favorite gear item was always my tent and my pocket knife. When I was 13 I bought my first tent, the North Face Mountain 24. It took many, many months on the paper route to save up for that bad boy. Now that I look back,, it was clearly overkill for 90% of the outings I went on, but at the time I knew if 80 mph winds hit, I wasn't going anywhere. In the summer time I pitched it using the fly and footprint. On winter snowshoe trips, everyone wanted to crash with me. Eventually I realized it was more enjoyable to backpack with a 4lb tent vs a 9lb tent, and had to part with it. I had to trade in the M1A2 Abrams tank in for a more reasonable jeep cherokee (msr hubba hubba).

7:47 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Wow, lots of good 'favourite items' on here.  It's kind of hard for me to pick my ONE favorite piece of gear.  But like some of those before me, I would have to say that my Leatherman Wave is my "don't hit the trail without it" piece of gear.  There are countless things that it can be used for and have used it for many.  Not counting a pack/bag/tent, I think this would be my number 1.  Followed closely by my map/compass!

2:35 p.m. on June 23, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

YEP, Leatherman Wave is my one favorite piece of equipment.

9:28 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I would say my leatherman and this guide gear flashlight.  More than once it got drenched and still worked.  And my Leatherman, well, it speaks for itself!

[commercial content removed]

9:10 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

The one piece of equipment I've come to covet is my Triple Aught Design F.A.S.T. pack.

As with most pieces of gear, what started out as one thing sort of morphed into more so now I own about four of them in two different sizes.

I've used these packs on all seven continents- including Antarctica. You can hike with it, carry it on an aircraft, get it through security, toss it out of a helicopter into the water, swim with it, haul is up a crag... it's bomber.

Packs are an individual thing in terms of what your favorite load organization is and I think I have gotten used to the F.A.S.T. pack load configuration and how the pockets work. I organize my load the same every time and I can find stuff by feel in the dark.

The fasteners on the pack work well and are logically placed, it carries different size loads with elegance and adaptability, the things last forever.

Another unique feature is their shoulder harness. It is the best I have ever worn. The straps are ergonomically contoured and engineered to fit and maintain full range of motion.

I love em.

4:35 a.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

That must be Xeccon L14-L, its my best buddy.

It alllows me to select between LED light and laser level function 

quickly and conveniently. The length and weight are quite suitable for my carry,

I like it.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply