Stove Guru's Help!!! W/ Info on Seva 123 SIGG-TOURIST

3:05 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I just ran into a SIGG-TOURIST W/ A SEVA 123.  The picture below is one I pulled of off the net, but mine is the same.  All parts are there except the pump, strap, pot handle ,  and one other small part that I can't ID.   I read that you do not need the pump, that you could prime it with a little fuel.  I'm guessing that why it has a eye dropper with it?  Do I need or want the pump?  It is not as shinny as the one in the picts (tarnished, or pantina if I go to sell it). Other wise it's all there.  I know nothing of this stove except that of old camping/hiking lore.  I've been useing the Wisperlite Int. 600 for years but just changing (upgrading?) to the Dragonfly.  I have all MSR stuff so it's not hard to change over.  This stove is different from the Seva 123 backpacking stove.  I'm belive that as it looks like its set up for more of a car camping/muliti person/base camp
svea-123.jpg
 use rather than solo packing.  I'm assuming that this  stove is the same one as the backpacking 123 with out the outer shell?  Pros and cons of this stove.  What's it's worth.  Does it belong in a collection or on the trail (that question will stir the pot a little ;-} )?  It would make a great stove for my Bike (Motorcycle) trips?  What say ye all.  Thanks

3:53 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

This is a collector's item. I have one. I have seen them sold on eBay for ridiculous amounts of money. Don't worry about the pump, you don't need it and some people have had bad experiences with it from what I have read.  I have one of them, but never really used it. Do people still use them? Yep, they still do.

There are different models of the 123, with slight variations, depending on when it was made, but a 123 operates the same no matter when it was made. The one in the brass shell is the same stove, as far as I know except I think the tank is a bit smaller. The newer ones have a slightly different valve than the older ones if I remember right. It sounds like yours may be an older one like mine.

There is a place in SoCal that sells parts-http://packstoves.net/cart/index.php?main_page=index  I would replace the seals and O rings on it.

There is a website www.spiritburner.com that has lots of info on old stoves like this one.

These are great stoves, but a bit heavy compared to modern stoves. This design is about 100 years old, something like that. It burns only white gas (not auto gas, but the same stuff you run in a Whisperlite). Don't try using anything else. The cookkit is what makes this stove valuable, the stove itself can be replaced, the Sigg is long out of production.  I wish someone made one about half as big; it is a good concept.

This would be a good stove for a motorcycle trip since weight isn't a factor, but it would be a bit much for a solo trip since the pots are so big.

4:27 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Mine lists this in order on the fuel tank:

BENZOLINE

PETROL

ESSENCE

BENSIN

Is it possible this could use PETROL (Gasoline)?

10:17 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I still use my Seva 123 when car camping!  I love the roar it makes when running full blast.  :-)

I've only ever used Coleman fuel in mine, though, so can't offer any more info as to the fuels it uses.  To prime it, I pour a little bit of fuel (most often way too much) on the little cup above the flame and light it on fire.  Just before it burns out, I open the valve and the stove fires up.  It's fun to watch fellow campers stare at the stove when it's covered in a ball of flame when it priming!  :-)

11:13 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

A very lucky find.  Use Coleman fuel as Jim mentioned and you don't need a pump.  Be careful when you practice lighting the stove and have fun.  It's a great rig.  I cut my stove teeth on one of these, as did a lot of folks.

Instructions

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/571/post/new/#NEW

12:16 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Hi Apeman,

You stove is a Svea 123R. That is the newer model 123 that has the self cleaning needle that keeps you from having to carry a little pricker wire to clean the jet. This stove takes a little more prime than the older ones but it is very serviceable and the Sigg Cook kit is very nice to have.

There was a stainless version offered at one point when people were in a tizzy about aluminum due to some misinformed hype,  but Sigg always used really high quality aluminum to fabricate these so there was no worry. I have both the aluminum and stainless. I actually think the Sigg works better with an Optimus 80 or Primus 71 due to the better flame height relative to the pan but that can be adjusted by placing the Svea on a small block to raise it.

One point of warning...always take the key out while the stove is running. Failure to do so will brand you with the key imprint. Keep an eye out for the original windscreen and you can use it retro style sans Sigg.

You can burn MSR fuel in this stove as well as Coleman. I find the MSR to be cleaner (no green dye).

2:17 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,129 forum posts

I recently bought a used 123 off trailspace as I had one when I winter camped in the early 80s and plan to do some more winter camping in the future. I used unleaded gasoline in mine and had few problems with it. Mine has a lil pin that pops up thru the lil hole where the fuel comes thru as a vapor. The lil indention beneath the burner is where one puts a lil fuel to light and heat up the upper exchanger turning the liquid fuel into a vapor to light.

They do sometimes have the tendency to flare up when lit, a friend in Alaska in the late 70s vaporized his Timberline tent lighting it inside out of the wind. His whole inner tent canopy instantly went up in flames leaving him sitting on the floor with just the poles above him. (He was'nt using the rain fly at the time)

I used to and still keep the 123 cleaned and polished being made of brass. I don't use a pump and use a MSR 1 quart pot. My other stove is a Pocket Rocket stove with different size canisters. I like the 123 better because I always know how much fuel is in it and when I need to refill it. Many of my older MSR canisters are 1/4 to 3/4 full and unreliable to take camping, after not being used for a season.

5:47 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

So, here's my kit.  I did't want people to think the picture above was the one I got (I did state the above pict was one I pulled of of the net).  I just posted that one so there would be no confusion on what I had as I wanted some quick advice about the pump.  There was a pump on ebay and I thought that if i need it to run this I might bid on it if it did'nt get to high.  Now that I know that I don't need the pump (and in fact the pump in and of itself can be a problem piece of equiptment) I'll mess with this and see if I can find one on the cheap.  I wouldn't want to pay more for the pump that I did for the would stove/kit  ;-}> .  Please keep the info and stories coming and thanks for the links everyone.
DSC03725.jpg
I hope I haven't fallen into the deep dark pit of collecting stoves.

I'm going to try and light this thing this afetrnoon.  I you see a giant fireball and or ensuing mushroom cloud do not be alarmed, this is a test, this is only a test..........

10:15 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Well dang, ain't that just a cute little stove.  Simple and easy.  It took me three tries to get it going.  Just had to wet down the flame spreader and the top of the jet (Im' sure it has a name).  No fire balls but I could see how the would be one if the wind were still and not blowing the vapors away, esp in a tent.  The wind is blowing about 5 mph and it's holding it's own with just a little shelter. Not sure it could take much more  wind out in the open.   It did like to sputter, cough, and gag as  it was trying to build up pressure.  Kinda funny actually when compaired to the pressurized stoves I'm use to.  Looks Like I'm gunna have keep this one.

10:40 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

apeman did you use the dropper to prime it? seva is a great stove from what I have herd about them..I have a Jetboil and alcohy stove..I am set for life now.LOL

10:59 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Collecting stoves is nothing.  Wait until you start collecting cookware, don't ask me how I know this.

12:07 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Denis  I ended up using a 3cc syringe with a large needle (as you can see,  I raise sheep and have to give them shot's) to prime, as the rubber on the eyedropper was rotted out.  I think I'm going to throw this in my survival pack as this thing appears to be idiot proof.  I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for more stoves I've seen a few around on Craigslist.  This thing is sweet are there any stoves like these currently being made?

12:32 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Those big horn sheep? I live near Black angus cattle. My neighbor in front of me and behind me..The local Southern States you can purchase first round of shots for animals and we have a great Vet... here's a site to check out www.optimusstoves.com the one you have is old school and I believe they stopped making them and some people sell theirs...Good buy since they work so well...

1:20 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Thru my vast knolwledge of Hillbilly Genetic engineering I created he who is known as Gorgon.  He is a mix of a four horned male Jacob sheep and  two horned Iclandic sheep.  So it looks like they still make Seva's (I'm sure I'm the last to know ;-}> )>  What's the word on the new ones anyone have any thoughts.  I'm going to go read about them now.  Who needs a pump when the thing will self prime.  And, hey it does sound like a blow torch, but hey, that's exactly what it is.

11:20 p.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I have a Seva 123, an Optimus 8R, a Hank Robert's stove, a couple of Bluets, an old Peak 1, a couple of variants of the Coleman 2 /3 burner stoves, and I had a MSR Internationale 600 that I just sold.

Unlike everyone else, I do use the pump. I also have a square of ensolite I use to insulate it from the ground. In really cold weather, the pump helps.

The MSR are excellent stoves but I'll take the extra weight over the hassle of field maintenance.

Stoves are known to be highly addictive. And those of us who are stove junkies tend to be picky. For example, the 8R is still in production but now has an awful plastic fuel cap.

What I can't explain is why I hang on to the first no-leg, grey Coleman Peak 1. It's not anything to crow about, that's for sure.

Okay, I can't explain why I hold onto most of my stoves.

Addiction is hard.

2:47 a.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Be SURE the cookset has SIGG TOURIST stamped on it. There were once some cheap Asian imitations with high lead content in the aluminuim.

I have the SVEA 123 and the SIGG cookset AND the pump. I would not want to go back to heating the SVEA 123 to prime it. The pump is not necessary but really nice to have and not expensive to buy at Campmor.

5:15 a.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Yep, it does have SIGG TOURIST stamped on it.  Heard good and bad things about the pump.  I think it's pretty easy to prime with an eye dropper or syringe.  I haven't used it out in the field in the wind yet,  just at home in a 5 mph breeze.  Now I need to find the windscreen, if anyone has an extra let me know.

9:11 p.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

The Sigg is the windscreen. That is how it was sold as a kit.  If you want the Climber windscreen, A & H probably has them, but I'm not sure if the tank on the Climber is the same size. They could tell you.

10:44 p.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Oh, ok, some one here told me I needed to look for a wind screen to complete it.

1:26 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

The set you have is complete as is.  You have an older Svea 123 (not the Svea 123R). Personally, I like the older version better.

Have you taken it out in the field now?  I own quite a number of modern stoves, but a Svea 123 in a Sigg Tourist cookset is still one of my favorites.

HJ

1:37 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,129 forum posts

I use gasoline in my SVEA 123. It has a little pin that comes up thru the place where the fuel ignites that keeps the hole clean.

5:13 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Gary,

The version you have is the Svea 123R.  

You can use unleaded automotive gasoline in a Svea 123R although automotive gasoline is a) dirtier and b) a little less safe. Automotive gasoline is more volatile than Coleman type fuel. 

The 123R is a very good stove.

HJ

3:28 p.m. on September 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

In an effort to bring back a dying thread I went out and found a Optimus 124 Cook-Set used in the box for $10. Here are some picts.

The Optimus 124 is on the left with the Sigg-Tourist on the right for size compairison.

DSC04565.jpg

Again from a different angle the optimus 124 is on the left with the Sigg-Tourist on the right.  The Optimus 124 is much smaller and lends itself to be used for backpacking or motorcycle camping much more that the larger Sigg-Tourist.
DSC04566.jpg

Some close up pictsthat includes the box.  Though not in perfect shape,it is cool that I have whats left of it.
DSC04568.jpg

This Key is different from the other Key's on my others Svea 123's
DSC04569.jpg

All the parts are here except the little grippy handle.  I have asked the guy if he will keep an eye out for the handle as he has a bunch of stuff in his gear cave to go thru and to get rid of, hopefully to me.
DSC04570.jpg

DSC04571.jpg

Notice the simple clip system that holds in the Svea 123 stove which is different than the clip system of the Sigg-Tourist.DSC04576.jpg

Notice the tag on the side of the svea 123 which reads:

WARNING---Use camstove fuel only    No automotive fuel permited.                                                              
DSC04575.jpg

9:37 p.m. on September 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

.....nice find. I have parts of one of these and use it with a Radius 42 stove that I like plus a Swiss stainless pot that is real efficient/.

The Svea that you have there I believe had that label on it becasue when these were made most auto gasolines contained tetraethyl lead. Now with the gasolines being basically unleaded I would not hesitate to give it a try with a decent grade of unleaded gasoline.

Best,

Mazama

12:35 a.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Mazama said:

.....nice find. I have parts of one of these and use it with a Radius 42 stove that I like plus a Swiss stainless pot that is real efficient/.

The Svea that you have there I believe had that label on it becasue when these were made most auto gasolines contained tetraethyl lead. Now with the gasolines being basically unleaded I would not hesitate to give it a try with a decent grade of unleaded gasoline.

Best,

Mazama

Thanks.

That makes complete sense as everyone I've talked to or heard form regarding the Svea 123 says they have used them with automotive gas.  I try to stay away from auto gas and really like white gas mostly cause it just dosen't stink as much if and when you manage to spill it as well as for other reasons.

4:22 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Looking to reacquire an Optimus 124 set when I can find one available and when I have cash. Those 2 things don't coincide very often!

4:52 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey MobyDick : 

I often see these on EBay and every once in a whille see them on Craigslist.  They bring differnt amounts at differnt times.  I believe you will be able to find them for cheaper this time of the year as people's desires are not geared to buying outdoor equiptment during the off season.  Myself excluded of cource.  I actually buy more duing the off season as much of its way cheaper than during the on season.

8:32 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I'd be so pleased if you or your Bud's would alert me somehow if you see one anywhere, thanks, Chris.

9:38 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Eventually a 124 will show up.  I had a set and shipped it off to the UK to a stove collecting mate.

10:37 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Stove Collectors!!  That's cool, we all should have things we are passionate about. If I had more $$ I'd probably have some collections of my own but having had 6 kids(and still have their Mom) all I collected was thrift store items and lots of bills. Trust you guys can get ahold of me somewhere should you see one become available. Thanks!

10:07 p.m. on October 25, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Moby Dick, if you are interested in finding an old stove like this, join the Classic Camp Stove website -- www.spiritburner.com  The stovies there are very helpful with information, and often also with parts, exchanging stoves, deals that are being sold online, etc. There are a few of us on this website that post over there too. Great bunch of outdoorsy types, and a warm and generous community to boot.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply