About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Oregon Dude dies -- stranded 2-months in snow

7:47 a.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/13/oregon-authorities-body-man-stuck-snow-2-months

Had sleeping bag (in which they found him) and water.   No food, no cell-phone.

It was his time.

r2

10:31 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Story is strange.   The guy must have had a 'death wish', or something.   He could have walked a few miles out of there.

r2

4:10 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

The Washington Post carried an article about this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ore-authorities-find-body-of-man-who-got-stuck-in-snow-for-months-and-kept-journal-of-ordeal/2011/05/13/AF2OQy2G_story.html

it appears from the story in the Washington Post that this man may have been transient and living out of his truck, which might have decreased the likelihood that he would set out into the woods and leave a lot of his possessions behind.   

a number of people who get stranded like this and head out into unfamiliar territory end up getting lost and dying of hypothermia.  it's easy to say he could have hiked out - but how many people drive around with the kind of gear you would need to ski, snowshoe, or posthole your way through deep snow? without the right clothes and gear, mucking your way through deep snow is a pretty good recipe for disaster. 

5:04 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

there have been a couple of cases of similar stories down here in southern oregon. one guy keept thinking somebody would be along in no time, that the road would get plowed and he would get rescued. after a week without food he was too weak to try and walk out. he left a diary. he was only a few miles walk if he had started when he was able

another case a family got snowed in and the husband tried to walk out he got all turned around started going in circles and died. the rest of the family was rescued.

pretty easy to say they could have walked out but if your not prepared mentally or physically it is always a gamble. 

both of these cases were on the same road system. a major dirt road between grants pass oregon and the coast that get lots of traffic in summer time. but in the winter it doesn't get plowed at all. the road is only plowed in the early summer to make it passable for people floating the rogue river. both times the road was open when they started their trip but they got snowed in by a late storm.

10:30 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

It was his time ....

Statistics show, ten out-of-ten people die.

Are YOU ready?

Yogi Robt

2:52 a.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Nothing like being a little prepared when traveling in potential snow country.

1:54 a.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

I've read of two (dumb) deer hunters who died of hypothermia 1/2 mile from their truck because they were wearing all COTTON clothes in a very wet, deep snowfall and also they were soaked with sweat from dragging a deer out.

The Darwin Award syndrome again. YA just can't protect some people from themselves. That goes for alcoholics, junkies and gambling addicts. I know, I've tried to help an alcoholic buddy and a junkie student. They wanted their fix more than help. Darwin Award again...

Eric

7:13 a.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

300winmag said:

I've read of two (dumb) deer hunters who died of hypothermia 1/2 mile from their truck because they were wearing all COTTON clothes in a very wet, deep snowfall and also they were soaked with sweat from dragging a deer out.

The Darwin Award syndrome again. YA just can't protect some people from themselves. That goes for alcoholics, junkies and gambling addicts. I know, I've tried to help an alcoholic buddy and a junkie student. They wanted their fix more than help. Darwin Award again...

Eric

"Darwin Award".   I like that.   Good metaphor.

I stopped by a nearby hunting and fishing store the other day.  (I neither hunt, nor, fish).   Wanted to pick-up the latest ORVIS catalog (the store is a dealer, and catalog orders are shipped to the store at no shipping charges)

This is a 'high-endy' store; $5000 shotguns, etc.

I got into a little 'heated discussion' with the two owners, about how many hunters die up in their deer stands, and how many more die of heart-attacks while trying to haul-out their kills. 

"Death by Fat".   A lot of hunters (and these two store-owners) are waaay overweight, and hideously out-of-shape.

"Darwin Award".   Indeed!

NoSmo King

11:11 p.m. on May 24, 2011 (EDT)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

^ So true..

When I was young I remember my friends dad coming home from "hunting".. he had a deer in the trunk. The funny thing is that he is around 450lbs.. which means the odds that he left the car to shoot the dear are, well, not likely. It's definitely not legal to shoot from your vehicle, let alone be proud of shooting one standing by the road.

Back to the original story,, my old Scout Master died in his 70's in a snow storm about 100 yards from his car, 5 miles outside of town. Very uncommon for someone with his expertise and background. He suffered from amnesia though and they suspected that he thought he was close to his house.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply