The Mother of all survival knives/tools...

7:48 p.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I stumbled upon this thing and I want one. Not sure why or what I would do with it. Its only $1500.00. I am just trying to figure out how I would get it in my pocket, maybe I could just attach it to my truck key ring... Hmmmmm...

This is the perfect knife for a dayhike... No seriously. :)

Wenger's Giant Knife.... All 2lbs of it.

http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999

8:19 p.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

To quote Crocodile Dundee: "That's not a knoife ...." (taking out his 18" croc sticker) "THAT's a knoife!"

9:13 p.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,505 forum posts

Cool Rick, thanks for the link.

Can you imagine taking that to school for show & tell?

Of course now a days you would get sent to the state prison for having it on school property.

9:19 p.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Could you imagine if McGyver had this badboy? I wonder if there is a welder on it somewhere.

It would be great in the field. It would only take ya half a day to find the tool you are looking for. Oh the possibilities are endless. I found one for around $800...

I wonder if I get a sheath with it.

12:19 a.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Quick! Get out the #2 philips, quick! lol imagine that.

BTW, what ever happened to those big Rambo survival knives that were popular in the 80's? The ones with all the stuff in the screw off handle and sharpening stone in the case. I haven't seen one in years.

12:36 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

BTW, what ever happened to those big Rambo survival knives that were popular in the 80's? The ones with all the stuff in the screw off handle and sharpening stone in the case. I haven't seen one in years.

I had a couple variations of the Rambo Knife back in the day. I remember having a survival knife that had a compass in the handle(bubble type.) I thought it was so cool. They were pretty cheap and very common.

Biggest knife I have now is a Puma White Hunter. It was handed down to me. Never used. I don't use it. That thing is a tank. It sits in its gold box with Green plastic lid. Still in the sheath. Very nice knife. Makes a good conversation piece. It has alot of sentimental meaning to me.

1:23 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Bkuti, You mean like these. Actually the Kershaw 1005 came out right when the Rambo knife (movie) came out. This Kershaw was the only knife of its kind that has a working saw (saws thru bone as well) on the top. If you look at most all the other knives, the saws are just for show and don't actually saw. The other is a custom made Bowie. The Kersahw also comes with a oil filled compass, five double sided plastic survival cards, a sharpening stone, fishing kit, mirror, rubber tubing. In the handle it has was coated wick, water proof matches and a wire saw. One of my favoriate pieces of equiptment. I was going to post a picture but it's not giving me the option right now

4:32 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Bkuti said:

I had a couple variations of the Rambo Knife back in the day. I remember having a survival knife that had a compass in the handle(bubble type.) I thought it was so cool. They were pretty cheap and very common.

Biggest knife I have now is a Puma White Hunter. It was handed down to me. Never used. I don't use it. That thing is a tank. It sits in its gold box with Green plastic lid. Still in the sheath. Very nice knife. Makes a good conversation piece. It has alot of sentimental meaning to me.

Yea. I used to have a few of them back in the day, the cheap ones, I think they were like ten bucks at a flea market. They came in either black or camo. Didn't use haf the stuff it came with back then, but I would use it now, but not carry a knife that big. I carry my Leatherman Juice S2, pretty much everywhere I go. I got it just for the backcountry, but since it came with a sheath I decided to just wear it daily. There hasn't been to many days that have gone by that I didn't use it for something or other. I was even "the man" at a BBQ that had lots of imported beer but not a bottle opener in sight.

I have a friend who is a novice, 4 time a year camper. Up until our last trip together last week, he used to bring this monster knife (almost Rambo style) that had like a 12"+ blade. He said he brought it for protection lol. I was like, from what? He said bears. I just laughed. But he stopped bringing it when he complained about his pack height, and the fact that he never used it or even saw a bear. That was my first suggestion along with many, many other useless things he brought with him that was so not needed. But I think we all did that when we started out.

4:34 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

apeman said:

Bkuti, You mean like these. Actually the Kershaw 1005 came out right when the Rambo knife (movie) came out. This Kershaw was the only knife of its kind that has a working saw (saws thru bone as well) on the top. If you look at most all the other knives, the saws are just for show and don't actually saw. The other is a custom made Bowie. The Kersahw also comes with a oil filled compass, five double sided plastic survival cards, a sharpening stone, fishing kit, mirror, rubber tubing. In the handle it has was coated wick, water proof matches and a wire saw. One of my favoriate pieces of equiptment. I was going to post a picture but it's not giving me the option right now

I used to have a great Kershaw knife that I lost on the trail years ago. It was a one hand opening lock back. I miss that fifty dollar knife. Yours sounds interesting.Try again for that pic, I would like to see it.

4:46 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I use a Victorinox Soldier knife now(new version olive drab/black handle.) Its all the knife I need. Love it. If I lost it I would buy another without a 2nd thought.

11:00 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

That's not a knife, that's a useless conversation piece. Can you imagine trying to sharpen that thing?

11:26 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I think its safe to assume its a collectors piece. Could you imagine the look on someones face when they ask you to borrow your knife for a sec and you hand them that? Priceless.

You would need a lumbar pack to haul it around. Never the less I want it. I'm just not sure why.

11:50 p.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Ive got a BuckMaster that I call the "CONAN". Its massive and heavier then heck. Screw off cap w/storage and 2 detachable spikes for the hand gaurd, just incase you need to repell I guess. Hard plastic sheath with built in stone. Its so long I have to tie the sheath to my leg to keep it from swinging around like a sword. Ive never actually carried this thing in the feild, but when a buddy offered it to me for $50 I couldnt say no. Its just to cool!

Wish I had the $$ for that Multi-Multi Tool Knife just for the shock value!

9:59 a.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,505 forum posts

Back when I first started backpacking my wife bought me one of the cheap "Rambo" knives with the compass and the gear stored in the handle.

It did come from a Flea Market for about 10 - 15 bucks.

Since then I have refined my taste in knives considerably.

I do have a very large knife I keep just because it is old and made in Columbia S. America, I'll try to post a photo of it later.

2:33 p.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Ontario Knife Company Military pilot and aircrew issue for USAF and Army, under 50 bucks some places, holds a great edge, and has a metal loop so that it can be tried to to the end of a stick/pole for making/using as a spear..

.. and of course the always faithful and respected USMC Ka-Bar.. over 2 million brothers who used it cant be wrong, under 60 dollars on Amazon and few other places.

I have both, and use both, I prefer the Ontario because it is smaller than the Ka-Bar.. both very good quality.. and nice priced..

2:49 p.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Kabars are classics, and like a marine, simple and direct.

I had a friend new to hiking, wanted to come for a walk. I spent a bit of time explaining the ultralight phylosphy and then the morning that we met up to head for the trail he brought me a present... a 2 pound hunk of steel with a sharp pointy end and a leather case. He was so proud of the gift that he was giving me, that without trying to explain the problem with it I shoved it down into my pack. It somehow accidentially got left in the truck at the trailhead. Nice gesture though!

7:53 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have only one question.....How does one hold it to use a given tool?"  I guess you need Sasquatch hands...LOL

10:09 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I love the creativity in naming it.

"Giant knife."

Just rings.

11:47 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have only one question.....How does one hold it to use a given tool?"  I guess you need Sasquatch hands...LOL

2 handed(sandwich style.)

3:55 p.m. on June 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I was doing some research on the two brands of Swiss Army Knives- Wenger and Victorinox, and I was really impressed by a lot of Wenger's designs. I thought they were a bit pricey compared to some Victorinox models, but they did impress me.

To me, Wenger has always been a bit "second fiddle" to Victorinox as the "Swiss Army Knife".

Of course, this thing we're talking about here... that seems to be in a category of its own. It should have wheels...

4:24 p.m. on June 23, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts
1:32 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

All the knife I need.

2011-05-20_13-35-35_743.jpg

9:00 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Bkuti said:

I bought one of those Rambo knives back in day when I was a kid off some infomercial (parents weren't happy about that one). I lived across the street from a forest preserve so we use to play with it all the time. It naturally was a was a piece of junk. The blade was dull but it had that compass on the end and in the shaft it had fishing line some matches and a couple of other things.

9:05 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I think that swiss army knife is the equivalant of a super computer. The makers were like "how many tools can we stick in this thing for the record". Obviously not very practical but if I was collector or owned an outdoors shop it would make a cool display. 

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply