Vintage GERRY Backpacks ~~ valuable ???

10:59 a.m. on May 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Just stumbled across a vintage GERRY backpack at auction, on eBay.   About 9-hrs left in the auction, and the bidding is up to around $230.

It has a strange-looking external-frame ... kinda like a "wishbone".  It looks "primitive" in my estimation, especially how the pack is 'secured' (?) to the frame.

Are these 'collector-items', or have I been 'out-of-the-loop' too long?

I have an old GERRY pack, but the frame more closely resembles a stripped-down Kelty, and the cross-members aren't TIG-welded.   Panel-loading (4 compartments) with not very substantial zippers (a potential weakness).   It is pretty light, though.

r2

2:58 p.m. on May 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

that is the highest i have ever seen a gerry vagabond pack sell for. that is the oldest and only green one i have ever seen. i have never seen one with as long a zipper as that one had on the upper compartment. they are always red in color. most anything of gerry with the mountain logo goes pretty high. the vagabonds usually sell for a higher price than your cwd framepack would. although the cwd frame packs seem to be selling pretty well on ebay these days. while the vagabond does have an external frame it is more akin to todays internal frame packs.

the cwd framepacks mostly come in red also. although i do have a brown one. they originally came with metal zippers, but at the end of their run they had nylon zippers. if yours is a size small and has the old mountain logo i would be interested in a trade or buying it. 

gerry cunningham died may 15 2010 one of the greats.

6:17 p.m. on May 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

I've been watching them for a while now. This auction was an anomaly. They don't usually go for anywhere near that. $35-80 is common. I was surprised with this auction. Very likely some rabid Japanese collector with more money than sense. Happens often enough with vintage gear to give a lot of people a false sense of value.

9:47 p.m. on May 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

lazya4 said:

that is the highest i have ever seen a gerry vagabond pack sell for. that is the oldest and only green one i have ever seen. i have never seen one with as long a zipper as that one had on the upper compartment. they are always red in color. most anything of gerry with the mountain logo goes pretty high. the vagabonds usually sell for a higher price than your cwd framepack would. although the cwd frame packs seem to be selling pretty well on ebay these days. while the vagabond does have an external frame it is more akin to todays internal frame packs.

the cwd framepacks mostly come in red also. although i do have a brown one. they originally came with metal zippers, but at the end of their run they had nylon zippers. if yours is a size small and has the old mountain logo i would be interested in a trade or buying it. 

Mine is red;  is a size small (decal on very bottom cross-member says,
"SMALL").

Has the same long zipper (metal) on upper-compartment as the one in the auction.    One zipper (lower) is a little boogered; but still works.

Waist belt looks like a blue automobile seat-belt from the '70s, with a "GERRY" embossing on the 'buckle' (which is strange, in itself).  Says, "Quick Release".

Logo is different.  Overall white, with bluish sky in background ... and the big "G" is in a red triangle.    Has 5-or-6 mountains,  more in the background, with puffy clouds over them.  Says, "GERRY Lightweight Camping Equipment", Colorado Outdoor Sports Corporation, Denver, Colorado - Made in USA ".

I do still use the pack ... mostly as a 'week-end'er', and sometimes a daypack (scantily loaded).  It is very, very light.   Never weighed it.

I've let a couple different girlfriends use them, when accompanying me (I used my large 1978 Kelty).   They are nuts about the pack.   They both want to ditch their internal-framers ... and they are "top-rated" Osprey and Gregory.

In that vein, I'll be hanging onto the pack ... for the time-being.   Appreciate your interest, and your offer.

File it away, though, for future reference.  "Tickle me" in a few months, if you're still looking.    I might change my mind.   Might need to ask girlfriends.   Wouldn't want to 'queer the deal'.   Bad karma.

BTW -- WTH is "cwd" ??

~ r2 ~

10:12 p.m. on May 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

lazya4 said:

Mine is red;  is a size small (decal on very bottom cross-member says,
"SMALL").

Has the same long zipper (metal) on upper-compartment as the one in the auction.    One zipper (lower) is a little boogered; but still works.

Waist belt looks like a blue automobile seat-belt from the '70s, with a "GERRY" embossing on the 'buckle' (which is strange, in itself).  Says, "Quick Release".

Logo is different.  Overall white, with bluish sky in background ... and the big "G" is in a red triangle.    Has 5-or-6 mountains,  more in the background, with puffy clouds over them.  Says, "GERRY Lightweight Camping Equipment", Colorado Outdoor Sports Corporation, Denver, Colorado - Made in USA ".

I do still use the pack ... mostly as a 'week-end'er', and sometimes a daypack (scantily loaded).  It is very, very light.   Never weighed it.

I've let a couple different girlfriends use them, when accompanying me (I used my large 1978 Kelty).   They are nuts about the pack.   They both want to ditch their internal-framers ... and they are "top-rated" Osprey and Gregory.

In that vein, I'll be hanging onto the pack ... for the time-being.   Appreciate your interest, and your offer.

File it away, though, for future reference.  "Tickle me" in a few months, if you're still looking.    I might change my mind.   Might need to ask girlfriends.   Wouldn't want to 'queer the deal'.   Bad karma.

BTW -- WTH is "cwd" ??

~ r2 ~

robert

thanks for the info. i have one from that vintage in a small. the one i am looking for is a couple of inches smaller. i need that particular size to fit a small external frame that i have. i have seen a few gerry frames break and bend. if that happens to you the hole pattern is identical to the kelty backpacker and mountaineer frames.

cwd is controlled weight distribution. gerry achieved this with the four horizontal compartments. kelty did it on the a4. the a4 differed from the b4 in that the top compartment was divided into 3 compartments. the idea with all of these is that you could put heavy items high in your pack and keep them there. with the one compartment bags the heavy things really try to get to the bottom.  gerry really was the father of lightweight and leave no trace backpacking. i have a gerry tarp that zips to form a tube tent. it has mosquito netting at both ends and loads of tie outs. it is one cool tarp. here are a couple of links.

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Gerry1.html

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Gerry2.html

these packs are the best mushroom picking packs that i know of. you can fill them full of mushrooms and they don't smash what's underneath them.

happy trails

10:44 p.m. on May 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thanks for the links, Dan.   I recall running across the first one you listed.   Had not seen the second.   Cool stuff.

I DID realize the packs are interchangeable with my Kelty  frame ( believe mine is a "Massif", and I measured the hole-spacing.   They are the same).   GERRY uses an interesting fastening concept.  No 'pins' ala Kelty.

GERRY gear is definitely innovative, in its time ... and, even today.

~ r2 ~

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply