gear lists

11:36 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Can everyone post up there gear lists and the weight of the equipment they take?

9:51 a.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I would recommend searching through this Forum tab...there are many threads such as this one with great info.  Happy searching!

9:25 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Do you want pack weight or individual gear/item weight?

11:05 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

If I had all my gear weighed out and on a spreadsheet, I might not enjoy my expeditions as much. I'm hoping I never find out.

6:44 a.m. on June 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Zeno Marx said:

If I had all my gear weighed out and on a spreadsheet, I might not enjoy my expeditions as much. I'm hoping I never find out.

fair enuf mate but if you ever wan't to improve or get better at what you do it does boil down to the little things and what everything weighs

6:47 a.m. on June 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Do you want pack weight or individual gear/item weight?

both would be nice

11:47 p.m. on June 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Weight is in OZ This is most of my UL setup Backpack ULA OHM 24 Pack Liner 1.7 Sleeping Summer Quilt 16.2 Sleeping Pad Blue Foam 10.5 Tent Contrail 25 Home Made Pillow 2.3 Cooking: Ti Bowl/Pot 1.6 Squish Bowl 3.3 Measuring Cup 1 Spork 0.2 Stove: LiteMax 1.9 Toilitries: Soap 0.4 T.P. 1 Tooth Brush Tooth Paste Trowel 2 First Aid 4 Bandana Water Treatment: SweetWater 10 Platy Soft Bottle 1L 0.9 Platy Soft Bottle 2L Knife: Squirt PS4 1.9 Headlamp: Spot 3.1 Direction: Compas 1.2 1.2 Map Trecking Poles: Leik 16.6 Lighter: Bic Mini 0.4 Clothing: Ex Light Down 6 Shorts 5.5 Thermal Top 8.3 Thermal Bottom 6.3 Golite Jacket 10.2 Rain Pants 7.9 Underwear 2.8 Shirt 5.6 Socks 3.5 Shoes So the gear in my pack for a early Spring late Fall is about 10.35 pounds I really think I could get my pack weight well under 10 pounds for a Summer trip

12:42 p.m. on June 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

joshyd said:

Zeno Marx said:

fair enuf mate but if you ever wan't to improve or get better at what you do it does boil down to the little things and what everything weighs

what exactly am I "improving" or "getting better at" about myself or the experience if I know the exact weights of my gear?  It's not a competition or an athletic event.  I go out to break away from everything; to clear my mind of trivial burdens.  To do greater miles?  I go as far as I want.  I don't get disappointed.  To take it easier on my body?  I listen to my body.  I stop when it is time.  I don't get disappointed.

I understand that, for some, this gram-shaving is another aspect of this pastime.  It's understood.  It's not something I personally find to be that important or of any great interest.  I too like gear, but not a lot of my perspective is concerned on weight.  It's a factor, but not of highest priority.

This shouldn't be an argument.  I just don't understand your wording of "improve" and "better".  Struck me as odd.

12:29 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

josh I will give you my present summer list with oz and minus food and water that I am presently using on the AT..

Pack ULA Catalyst. 2.5lbs

mountain Hardwear bag 45 degree. 1.8lbs

Sea to Summit compression bag. 3.oz  Sleeping bag

Sea To Summit dry bag 3.oz  Food

Sea to summit dry bag  3oz    clothing

2X wicking T shirt     8.2oz

1 long sleeve baselayer top 5oz

Convertible pants  11.oz

Shorts nylon    3oz

3x poly sock liners  3.6 oz

3x smartwool socks 6.oz

spork .04 oz

Alchy stove  1.oz

snowpeak titanium cook set 4.oz

bandana .02 oz

Dr Bonners 2oz

deet 3.oz

knife 2.oz

aquamire droplets 2 oz

Hardshell rain  12.oz

toothpaste 1oz

toothbrush 1oz

bic lighter 1oz

traptent 1.5 lbs Virga

camera 10.0z

trekking poles  1.8lbs

fuel 16oz

3x water gatorade bottles .o3 oz

first Aid kit  2oz

Roughly about 15 pds minus food and water..You could use the program www.geargrams.com

to keep track and create lists and move what itmes you want around.

1:21 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Yea I actually made an Excel sheet with all my gear on it, and use formulas to keep track of the weight. It works well for me.

3:42 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Denis, what trekking poles are you using?

7:38 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Rick I have a pair of lekki's. I have no extra cash for another pair.LOL But yes there are lighter titaniums ones out there. But also heard UL hikers say after a long trail they wished they had a heavier pair.

8:22 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Poles can be a pricey item. I sold my older Komperdells to get a pair of Lekis. Pricey at $150 but so far I really like them.

9:41 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Poles can be a pricey item. I sold my older Komperdells to get a pair of Lekis. Pricey at $150 but so far I really like them.

Yeah I wish I had the extra but right now, I still have 1300 more miles to go..But when its done I can buy another lighter set over winter. This is the first trip I have ever used Trekking poles. It took my buddy Dave to talk me into practiceing with them before I left. I am glad he did. LOL  I only used poles when skiing..

1:59 p.m. on June 8, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Are you kidding ?

I have an extensive list that works a bit like a maze depending on,

- duration

- temperature

- elevation

- mode of transport

- purpose

so not to bore the 100's that might look at this thread.  I will just post the sections that I have created for myself.  I have and do weight some items,

e.g. my shelter (2 person tent/fly/footprint/poles/stakes/guys with ground 6x8 entry tarp = 5lb14-3/4oz) but have just found a new larger BUT lighter version. 

Weights are good to record on some things, though as not to get more carried away then already done I always look for lighter and smaller then lay out all gear before packing and pack less.

My categories,

Motorcycle Tools and Specific Gear/Clothing

Clothing

Cooking

Fire

First Aid

Food

Hydration

Illumination

Miscellaneous

Navigation

Repair Kit and Tools

Safety

Shelter and Sleeping

Sun and Wind Protection

7:35 a.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I'm experimenting with making my own wooden poles out of dowels that I get at Home Depot. Total cost per pair is running well under $10. I got tired of buying poles I just break - both carbon fiber and aluminum.

8:32 a.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

philipwerner said:

I'm experimenting with making my own wooden poles out of dowels that I get at Home Depot. Total cost per pair is running well under $10. I got tired of buying poles I just break - both carbon fiber and aluminum.

Let me know how you go,

i would be interested to hear the results.

9:19 a.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

If I am driving to the trailhead, I use a single six foot long custom beech stave. It is heavy compared to trekking poles, but I absolutely love the longer length and greater versatility. It is tops for navigating creeks and steep treacherous trails, bushwhacking overgrown trails, fending off critters without worry of breaking, etc.

If I am flying to a location, like I will be this fall in Wyoming, I will bring trekking poles.  

2:36 p.m. on June 10, 2011 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Gear list:                 Summertime I think weight with food and water came in around 28 lbs at Upper Goose Pond cabin scale in Berkshires.

Marmot eiger 48 pack Trestles bag w/compression sack Hennessy exped asym when alone or alps chaos 3 with big Agnis sl pad 66" with company Optimus terra cookset/ Empty "I can't believe it's not butter" bowl w/ lid Gaz micro bluet stove and butane fuel Guyot spork/spatula Katadyn base camp filter Gatorade bottles 2x Petzl tikka 2 Gerber 3" blade Bathroom; tooth paste/ brush, bug dope, strike anywhere matches, doc bronners, sham wow, bandana, ibuprofen, first aid, trowel, iodine tabs, aloe Brunton compass 16' para cord Nylon food bag with ie.  Knoors soups, jerky, instant mashed taters, gorp, trail mix, oatmeal, mtn house on longer trips, snickers, stingers, foil Merino wool sox x2 Columbia Falmouth  Poncho Ems Wicking shirt Dollar store flip flops Mhw Fleece

I

11:19 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I always take a very light LED  Flashlight  SOS mode Xeccon L12 . Its weight and length is perfect to carry. Besides, it's very lovely.
L12-BL_04.jpg

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply