Nemo Alti Storm 3

9:11 a.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I'm trying to get more information on the Nemo Alti Storm 3 tent.  Has anyone out there seen it or own it?  All the sites including Nemo's website is very vague when it comes to pictures both interior and exterior.  I cannot find a store that actually carries one in stock either.  Its gotten excellent reviews and for a 4 season shelter the writeups have it been being very light.  Trying to see what this newbie is all about and how it compares to the NF Mtn 35 or MtnHdwre Trango 3.1.  Thanks.

11:52 a.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Don't know it this helps but here it is.

Somebody had a video while they were inside a Nemo LOSI Storm while it was hailing. Since this is supposed to be an even more robust version you might look around for pictures of it.

1:00 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Yeah I've seen that. It doesnt give real details of the interior space.  I just cant believe that with all the hype with this tent there isnt any good info out there.  You goto Nemo's website and it says "sold out" as well!  Couple of posts on REI's site but nothing earth shattering.  I could just order it through REI and have it shipped to my local store and set it up but I'd hate to do that if I dont like it.  For this kind of money I want to make sure I get it right.

1:11 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

What is the list price on this tent?

I just looked. You are creeping into Hille territory on that one.

3:19 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I wouldn't feel guilty about ordering one at REI. Would you buy a $70k car without having at least test driven one like it? That's why REI has that fantastic return policy.

3:42 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Yes, what ocalacomputerguy said.  REI specifically as a no questions asked return policy. That is one their sales pitches that draws poeple into the store to buy their products. If you get a tent (or anthing else for that matter) and bring it back they will sell it to someone else at a small discount still making a ton of money. Talk to anyone in sales and you will be amazed at the amount of markup that retail outlets put on products. It's not like they don't make money on this stuff. As REI is so hugh they buy in bulk thereby getting everything much cheaper than you local independent mountianeering store. This is there main way to draw you from the Mom & Pop stores along with their return policy.   Myself, at the prices of new tents, not a chance I would buy a new tent at a store without the avaliablity of returning it for any reason, unless I knew the tent inside and out.  But then agian  I own over thirty tents and have only bought two of them new in the last 30 yrs and even these were 40-50% discounted.  On the flip side I'm the guy who buys the way discounted used tents for 30 cents on the dollar cause people buy all this stuff and don't use it or decide they don't want it but can't take it back because they did not shop at REI.

8:15 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I think the Alti Storm 3 P is around $500 and change.  Not bad considering 4 season.  Actually kind of average. What I like about it is the weight.  Its significantly lighter than most 4 season "bomb shelters" out there and weighs less.  I also like the fact that Nemo appears to be a small "micro brew" type company out of NH.  Customer service seems very good as well.  I think I'm gonna go the REI route and just order it, have it delivered to the store.  Check it out.  When I get into it and if I buy it I'll post some comments here.  Thanks a million everyone!

8:28 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
318 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I own 2 Nemo tents now, the Meta 2P and the Losi 3P. Both are great tents - Solid, lightweight, and well made. I'd be curious to see more on the Alti Storm as well.

8:47 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

$500 dollars is a lot for a four season tent. And like Rick said if your willing to spend that much I would be looking Hilleberg's way. Their fabric is is Kerlon 1200 or 1800, far greater tear strength (12 kg!) then most will ever need, and roughly the same weight. If you are looking to buy in the USA then I understand that, but if thats not a big part of your decision....

http://www.hilleberg.com/usa.htm

8:49 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Any company who's headquarters is within the Arctic circle would know a thing or two about 4 seasons! Or maybe they only know one season....winter, hahaha.

9:30 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

...and how to build one gnarly snowman.

10:37 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

No I know. I received the Hilleberg catalogue the other day. You should go online and order one just to see what they send.  Its pretty interesting.  They include 3 samples of fabric along with all the tent specs.  Nice writeups as well.  I couldnt tear their high end fabric for the life of me.  Even one of our cats got ahold of it and couldnt do jack to it.  I'm intrigued by their products.  Not cheap.  Made in the US is important to me along with great customer service.  I've read nothing but good things about Nemo and I like the fact that they are this small startup innovative company coming out with good products.  I read somewhere that they do or did provide products to the Navy SEALS as well which is inspirational to say the least.  The Losi by far has gotten stellar reviews however I'm just looking for something a little more burley but on the Losi scale.  I dont know how well the Losi would do in a snowstorm in VT.  I'd rather have that extra protection. 

10:55 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Maybe check out ID(Integral Designs)as well. I had a Hille(got swiped) and I can say they are awesome. I am just getting an ID bivy(thanks Dewey.) I can't get anyone my way to go out and play in the snow with me so a bivy will do fine.

Many solid options out there.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply