VIDEO: GPS Kit for your Smart Phone

5:09 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I've been playing around with GPS Kits for my iphone.  I bought a bike mount for my phone and I've been using the GPS on it as well as on the trail.  So far it's been pretty reliable.  I am currently looking on how I will safely mount it on my kayak without soaking the phone from paddle spray and the like.  

I made a short video on the application I've been using:

Enjoy!

5:43 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

For Kayak use? Does Otter Box have anything that may work?

8:29 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

The iphone holders that I've looked at so far are too tight a fit for an otter box.

4:26 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
5:33 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

The OtterBox phone cases are NOT waterproof.  If you shop around, there are, however, quite a few waterproof bags that the iPhone, installed in the OtterBox case, will fit in.

The OtterBox 3000-01 is a dry box that might fit the bill.  It's listed as clear, and waterproof to 100'.

OTTR300001.jpg

5:38 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good point f_klock. The previous link I posted came as some interest to me being I think it may still give you the option of still being able to utilize the phones touch screen/access phone functions.

I like OtterBoxes. I have a few for kayaking though none of which are clear.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply